Stick length problem - what to do?

night-timer

Apr 26, 2006
Sydney, Australia
I'm making the move from a one-piece stick to a two-piece. I' ve been looking at the TPS Red Lite CS2 shaft, the reddish-brown one.

Problem is, I'm 6'1" and around 6'3" with skates on - approximately 190cm. The shaft is only 51" or 127 cm.

Even with a blade attached, it'll be too short for me. I can get a wood end plug, but even a 12" plug may not be enough. (And a wood end may diminish the light weight of the shaft. Is this right?)

Does this mean the TPS Red Lite is useless to me? Damn!

I've never used a two-piece stick before. Your comments would be appreciated. Is my only choice a 60" shaft?

TPS-RedLiteCS2.jpg

PensFanInCBus

Jan 14, 2004
I stand at 6'4" and am using a Baur Ultra-Lite. I believe it is 51 inches before blade. I found a 12" butt extension piece and it's pretty much right where it needs to be. It really doesn't affect the
weight of the stick at all.

night-timer

Apr 26, 2006
Sydney, Australia
Thanks - I believe you could be right.

Here's the math: 51 inch for the shaft, 12 for the wood plug and another 4 or 5 inches for the blade. That equals 68 inches or 170cm, taking the top of the stick to my chin when I'm in skates... I'm happy! :handclap:

stick9

Aug 12, 2004
Glue it in good. I saw Hal Gill of the Bruins get a penelty for using a broken stick when his extension plug fell out.

PMP5030

Apr 25, 2004
RIGHT BEHIND YOU
Interesting. I'm 6'2" and I always want my shafts to be 50" exactly (using a Sherwood Axion blade). My game is based on stickhandling and passing as a playmaking center, a stick any longer makes it feel like I can't control the puck in traffic. I probably am losing a little on my slapshot, but that's never been a major strength of mine anyway. I guess a large part of it depends on what type of game you play, and what you skating style is like. I've tried longer sticks but they wear too much at the heel no matter the blade I'm using.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
night-timer said:
Thanks - I believe you could be right.

Here's the math: 51 inch for the shaft, 12 for the wood plug and another 4 or 5 inches for the blade. That equals 68 inches or 170cm, taking the top of the stick to my chin when I'm in skates... I'm happy! :handclap:
Gotta be more than 5 inches for the blade.

Allsmokenopancake

Jul 21, 2005
Donegal, Ireland
Jacobv2 said:
Gotta be more than 5 inches for the blade.

Not if you measure "as the crow flies" (is that even a term over here?).

You are measuring the height with the stick on the ground, from floor to your chin, the actual curve of the stick may be longer, but in terms of vertical height its probably only about 5 inches

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I gotcha. I have no stick around me to look at but I just figured that the toe on the ground and the butt-end in pointing up that the height between the heel and the toe would be greater than 5 inches.

A 12 inch end plug to me seems to defeat the purpose of a composite stick.

The poster might want to consider a brand that generally makes their sticks longer, like Bauer or Warrior.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->