Stick Blades

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
What kind of blades does everyone use?
I'm using the Innovative Kovalev blades right now which are heal blades.

I'm trying to figure out how much the toe and mid curve blades differ in your shots and stickhandling ability... and if anyone who uses could offer some sort of opinion. I always find a lot of heal/mid blades but very few toe blades so I'm more curious about the toe blades than the mid.

I've read that toe blades are better for wrist shots and stickhandling, but judging by the availability of them, it makes me wonder if people even use them.

wolfgaze

Interesting Cat
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2006
Earth
I play inline hockey and have used the Koho 2100 Ultimate blade exclusively for 13 years... LOVE IT

K2100SB.JPG

PMP5030

Apr 25, 2004
RIGHT BEHIND YOU
I use a Sherwood Spezza curve, it's a heel curve that I feel really helps me make accurate forehand and backhand passes. I'm a playmaking center, so that's the most important thing for me.

TBLfan

Nov 25, 2005
Tampa, FL
tblfan.wordpress.com
I'm a freak of nature. I can use just about any curve, of course there are limitations.

My favorite retail curve was the bonk, a twisted neutral face mid-curve with a high lie of 7(more like 6.5). But my favorite curve is almost like a Vaclav Prospal toe curve, with a little loft. I also use the Recchi, which is a mid curve, neutral face and an iginla which is a mid curve, closed face... As well as a Drury, which is a heel curve with an open face... Oddly enough I can't use a curve like a Lidstrom/Lecavalier although it's close to the Drury.

I find that the toe curve offers the trickiest shot, it's accurate but whats deadly about it is that it is soo quick off the blade. Very hard to read, almost like a backhand but with more zip. The Recchi offers the easiest to roof it from in close on the forehand, the toe curve is a close second. Extremely odd but the Drury, which is extremely open, is not as easy to roof it from in close on the forehand(mind you this is a somewhat new curve to me and I've only used it a few times) BUT the backhand on it is SIIICK. I get more power and more accuracy than with any other blade, I also find it easier to get it up high... Makes absolutely no sense to me.

drcameraman

Aug 7, 2006
Florida
I've gone from Ovechkin, to Recchi, to Mario, to now Gaborik. I really like the Gaborik curve. The puck comes off the blade so fast. It's sweet.

crashlanding

Nov 29, 2005
Chicago
I feel like I get a quicker release with a heel curve, better stickhandling and a MUCH MUCH (and that's an understatement) better backhand with the heel curve. (Bouchard) I used to use a mid curve, Coffey/Shanahan, and I feel I got more power on my forehand and a much better slapshot...but that could be due to myself being unfamiliar with the heel curve.

Also my passing is so much better with the Bouchard blade, I can saucer pass forehand or backhand no problem. I used to get the puck to flutter too much with the Coffey on the forehand and there was no chance on the backhand.

If you have a two piece stick I say just try it out with each, it won't take that much of an adjustment when you switch (maybe one or two skating sessions) and then you'll know what you prefer and what fits your game.

Edit: The most important thing though is to make sure the lie is compatible with your stick length/posture. An incorrect lie can make stickhandling/receiving passes a nightmare.

vincetheprince

Mar 28, 2007
Today, I bought a stealth grip with iginla curve.. Then I went to hockey( I even scored, first time using it). The blade is amazing for snap shots..

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Currently have a Inno pro return blade (Kovalev retail essentially) in my Dolo shaft. If I am using combo's I'll load up on Inno blades or go with wood Drury clones.

slade

Jan 4, 2007
18 Winspear Ltd.
alot of these websites offer different strengths and weaknesses for the different blades. i think most of it is complete BS- and you should just use what you are used to.

most of it is common sense...an open face will make lifting the puck easier- and a bigger curve should increase velocity because of the increased spin of the puck off of the blade.

its all about what suits you.

McNasty

Jan 20, 2007
Rutgers
I love the Datsyuk curve the most. To be honest I can use pretty much anything if I practice with it. I prefer the Datsyuk because the way the toe is shaped its perfect for toe drags, and I have had no issues with my shot.

Geogaddi

Book Hockey
Nov 2, 2005
Dallas
I used to use a Hull Innovative One piece. Love the toe on it.

Currently use a CCM Vector Shaft with a Warrior AK- Draper curve.

Absolutely love it. But i really should change to a different blade, because of the lie. def wear the heal down very fast.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
im a toe curve guy, always have been. i find that stickhandling is easier and i tend to take more wrist/snap shots instead of slappers, which lend themselves to heel curves. a good toe curve helps me out when im around the net. it isnt alwasy the best for a slapper, but i find i get used to it to the point where it doesnt hurt it either. youre right when you talk of availability - its been a tough road the last few years until i found what im using now. the closest i found before was the sakic, which bends too much at the heel for me. the heatley/thorton/gaborik/amonte/recchi and datsyuk all have toes (mid to toe)but are a bit squarish and i prefer rounded.

right now im using the warrior smyth, and its the best toe curve ive used since composite blades became the rage. it has a low lie, which seemed awkward at first but now is really working for me - i shouldve been using low lies the whole time - and a rounded toe. i love it, any toe curve lover should check it out. they only make it in one pierces and in tapered blades. great stickhandling, and it doesnt bend much in the heel-mid area so backhands are sweet.

bonzai, you should check out the smyth, the toe is fairly similar to hulls prostock pattern, if thats what you used. pretty low lie as well.

Last edited:

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I play inline hockey and have used the Koho 2100 Ultimate blade exclusively for 13 years... LOVE IT

K2100SB.JPG

I used that when I played street.

As for Roller/Ice... I use a Mission Ion shaft with an Easton Focus Flex CNT Forsberg curve.

I love the Forsberg curve because I get an awesome and pretty accurate slapshot with it, and my wrist shot is pretty good as well.

I should probably try something with a little more curve, like Iginla.

MacBeatsPang

Oct 25, 2006
I use a Warrior Dolomite Federov, a slight mid-heel curve with a low lie and a closed face, and like it a lot. Used to use Mission Elias, which was very similar but the Mission L-2 blades broke chronically so I switched to Warrior and can't remember last time I had to replace a blade. Before that I used a wooden Nike Lemieux and I loved that curve. But now, using a tapered Dolomite shaft, I can't find it in a tapered blade...

I agree with whoever said lie is the most important factor. Look at the way your blades wear and make sure it's even. If the wear isn't even (i.e. heel or toe wearing faster than the rest of the bottom of the blade, you need a different lie).

A while back I tried a CCM Thornton, which I believe is a pretty pronounced toe curve. I noticed more power in my shots but everything skied on me. Could have been because the lie was off, though -- not really sure.

Last edited:

Whiplash27

Quattro!!
Jan 25, 2007
Westchester, NY
Usually I notice that the heal of my blade is the first spot the tape peels off. I tend to skate leaning all the way over, so I know that it's going to wear there first. I'm already using a 5 lie though, lol. I know there are 4s out there, but still, they aren't the easiest in the world to find. I know Warrior has a couple (Federov & Smyth).

When my AK-27 or my Ultra-Lite break, I'm probably going to get a Dolomite 2-piece and get myself the Smyth blade. I was looking at that one a while back.

It's basically come to the point where there aren't too many standard blades available anymore. Eventually everyone who uses composite is going to have to make the switch to Tapered.

Backstrom #19

Trotz for president
May 12, 2007
Savannah Georgia
Usually I notice that the heal of my blade is the first spot the tape peels off. I tend to skate leaning all the way over, so I know that it's going to wear there first. I'm already using a 5 lie though, lol. I know there are 4s out there, but still, they aren't the easiest in the world to find. I know Warrior has a couple (Federov & Smyth).

When my AK-27 or my Ultra-Lite break, I'm probably going to get a Dolomite 2-piece and get myself the Smyth blade. I was looking at that one a while back.

It's basically come to the point where there aren't too many standard blades available anymore. Eventually everyone who uses composite is going to have to make the switch to Tapered.

I'm the same way i need low lie's but i can't find them that low.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
if you can find a sherwood leclair - its a true 4.5. warriors 4 is a little higher, its just below the easton 5. the leclair is lower than all the warriors and eastons. i believe the bouchard was pretty low as well. the ccm doan is also lower than the easton 5's.

EatSleepJeep

Dec 31, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I use Easton Composite blade in a Shanahan(18mm/lie 6) curve but I've been having a hard time finding them anymore. The Yzerman(15mm/lie 6) blade is a decent sub, but I have to mod them with a heat gun to close down the more open nature of the face.

The ABS blade/wood hosel Composite is nicer for me than all-wood because it doesn't de-laminate at the wear point. The ABS wears very well and I can sculpt the toe to the way I like it with my Dremel.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->