Stewart - Bernier - Tambellini

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Rush5Collapse5 said:
Don't let their AHL stats fool you, Tambellini is on the better team where everyone is hot right now. Tambellini is the better skater, but Bernier has better hands. Now if the Kings and Sharks could just get these two into a Seth Brundel Fly machine and clone the end result a few times.

It's not just AHL stats. It's been their play period. You could argue that Tambellini might be better because of the team that's around him, but that's no fault of his. Los Angeles has put together a sound plan in terms of developing young players and Tambellini seems to be following that path. The fact that he's succeeding and is getting big ice time shows that he has accomplished much in his short time with the Kings organization.

I like Bernier, but I'm also leery of him because of his skating. I've watched Bernier play and I just cringe when I watch him skate because his stride isn't very good at all and it seems to take some time for him to get some jump into his skating. He really needs to work on his skating and get better at that. Once the skating is better, everything else will fall into place.

As for Stewart, I'm not sold on him at all. For a man his size, he's soft. Not only that, he's difficult to motivate. At this point, if you need someone to motivate you to be the best player you can be, you're in a lot of trouble. The hands are there and we all know he can score and he's actually a good skater, but the motivation is lacking and you can only live on potential alone for so long. That's what has seemed to carry Stewart through everything.....potential. Well, some point, that potential will have to be realized or Keenan will send him packing.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Im kinda suprised people think Stewart has this much potential. On the panthers board a year or so back, there was a debate on who would be better .. Horton or Stewart, and quite alot said Stewart. I think we are overating his upsides a little here. He has size and skill but id say Bernier and Tambellini had the better offense.

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
IF all hockey was about was busting in off the wing then Stewart would have great future. Unfortunately it is also about defensive awareness and moving the puck . He will be a turnover factory at the NHL level because of lack of understanding of how to use teammates and lack of focus away from the puck. He has bust written all over him. Must score to be of any use at all.

Bernier - too slow. Very poor acceleration and gets off balanced on his pivots. Once up to speed and going stright ahead looks ok. Good shot and decent hands around the net. Unless he can pick up his skating will be a marginal NHL player. Shows all the signs of being a good junior - bad pro.

Tambellini - real smart player who can use teammates well. Whether he has the speed or not is open to question. Certainly did not display this when he played on the Junior National Team. Game got a little too fast for him and lacking size was rendered ineffective. I doubt very much that as Tambellini moves up in class he will have the sufficient speed to do much. I see him as a player who will be eliminated very easily at the NHL level. Just not enough amptitude to his game.

I think all are very much question marks. If I had to pick one up I'd take Stewart. -could be made into a grinder who could put on a heavy forecheck and drive the net. Could also be a good scraper. I think you would have to get it out of his head that he is finesse player. Second Tambellini. -- with patience might become a Barnes type player. Bernier I don't really like at all.

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
orcatown said:
IF all hockey was about was busting in off the wing then Stewart would have great future. Unfortunately it is also about defensive awareness and moving the puck . He will be a turnover factory at the NHL level because of lack of understanding of how to use teammates and lack of focus away from the puck. He has bust written all over him. Must score to be of any use at all.

Bernier - too slow. Very poor acceleration and gets off balanced on his pivots. Once up to speed and going stright ahead looks ok. Good shot and decent hands around the net. Unless he can pick up his skating will be a marginal NHL player. Shows all the signs of being a good junior - bad pro.

Tambellini - real smart player who can use teammates well. Whether he has the speed or not is open to question. Certainly did not display this when he played on the Junior National Team. Game got a little too fast for him and lacking size was rendered ineffective. I doubt very much that as Tambellini moves up in class he will have the sufficient speed to do much. I see him as a player who will be eliminated very easily at the NHL level. Just not enough amptitude to his game.

I think all are very much question marks. If I had to pick one up I'd take Stewart. -could be made into a grinder who could put on a heavy forecheck and drive the net. Could also be a good scraper. I think you would have to get it out of his head that he is finesse player. Second Tambellini. -- with patience might become a Barnes type player. Bernier I don't really like at all.

Which is in stark contrast to the Central Scouting report on Bernier:

Steve Bernier, RW, 6-2 1/2, 233, 3/31/85, Moncton (QMJHL): 71 GP, 49 G, 52 A, 101 PTS, 90 PIM

"Has drawn comparisons to Mike Bossy after posting impressive numbers in the offensive-minded Quebec junior league. Considered one-dimensional by some scouts, but so were Quebec league graduates Luc Robitaille and Yanic Perreault. Has all the physical tools — at 15, he already stood 6-2 and weighed 215 pounds. He's added 18 pounds but still is considered a finesse player. Ranked 11th among North American skaters by NHL Central Scouting, his stock dropped during physical testing that exposed poor conditioning habits. If he slips to the bottom third of the first round, he could be a perfect fit for a team in need of instant offense."

You may not like "instant offense", but the Sharks have too much of the "intangibles" and "two way", and not enough of the goals outside of Cheechoo.

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
orcatown said:
If you've watched him in college or AHL you would know speed is the one thing he has. In our group of players he is the fastest prospect and top 5 fastest including everyone on our team....

orcatown

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I watched Tambellini for years -- coached against him. He's quick and tricky but doesn't beat you with his speed. If you think that having speed at the college level translates into having speed at the pro level I think you should watch more carefully. There is a huge difference. I just don't see Tambellini being able to dominate with his speed at the NHL level.

On Bernier - if we were to believe all these types of scouting reports then all these prospects would turn out be allstars. Bernier has skating issues. I think the instant offense comment refers to the fact that he can put the puck in the net. I don't think anyone would deny that.

ukyo

Mar 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Visit site
orcatown said:
I watched Tambellini for years -- coached against him. He's quick and tricky but doesn't beat you with his speed. If you think that having speed at the college level translates into having speed at the pro level I think you should watch more carefully. There is a huge difference. I just don't see Tambellini being able to dominate with his speed at the NHL level.

When you say this, do you mean he isn't that fast compared to the skaters at the NHL level or do you mean that his speed advantage isn't going to be as valuable? If you think the former, I have to scratch my head a little bit. I would have to think that something as isolated as pure skating speed would translate easiest to the NHL.

X-SHARKIE

orcatown said:

What? he's been great in the AHL, and looked just fine as a 20 year old in the NHL. He was a junior scorer in his draft year, but really changed his game and tailored it for the pro's... Ask anyone in Moncton, or Cleveland, or anyone who has seen him play.

He's been a physical force in Cleveland, ask anyone who has seen him.. two way game has come along..he's a fine playmaker and scorer...and once again, he's been hitting like a tank more often...his work in front of the goal is superb.

Yeah his acceleration his bad, but he's got all the tools to be a scoring powerforward in the NHL.

I question if you've seen him since his transition as a player after being drafted.

If anything his game is better as a pro.

I've seen him against MA Pouliot, and it was obvious who the better pro will be.

X-SHARKIE

This is from a very hockey savvy friend who is a Sabres fan who watched him.

Steve Bernier – Steve Bernier has been the hard working power forward that this Barons team needed up front, especially in the absence of Ryane Clowe. In 31 games played this year for the Quebec native, Bernier has amassed 26 points (12-14). Five of Bernier’s 12 goals have come on the man advantage. Bernier is a solid skater with absolutely no fear of going into the corners. Bernier likes to play the physical game and has been for the most part snake bitten this season, not cashing in on his opportunities. Occasionally appearing to have hands of stone, Bernier is a crafty stickhandler with average finishing ability. His checking, however, has above average finishing ability. For Bernier to be on the fast track to a full-time NHL spot, he has all the tools it takes to be a future second liner.
Strengths: Plays a good, clean physical game, strong skater, great vision when patient with the puck
Weaknesses: Has a tendency to over-carry the puck

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
Recently released 2006 Hockey News Future Watch issue has Bernier rated # 66th, Tambellini # 42nd, and Stewart at # 44th.

Note: Bernier was called up and is playing regularly on the 2nd line with Marleau and Michalek now and looks strong so far. Offensively he's been a lark, he's strong on the puck and makes "Nolan" like power foward moves - his favorite is holding off a defender with one arm and taking the puck for a wrap around with the other. This signature move has already set up a goal, and drawn 3 penalties in three games so far. Kid doesn't look like a "kid" out there.

Last edited:

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Rush5Collapse5 said:
Recently released 2006 Hockey News Future Watch issue has Bernier rated # 66th, Tambellini # 42nd, and Stewart at # 44th.

Note: Bernier was called up and is playing regularly on the 2nd line with Marleau and Mihalek now and looks strong so far.

Stewart would have been higher if he hadnt been injured for most of the season.

Baron Von Shark

Feb 21, 2003
CA
Visit site
Whoever thinks Bernier has skating issues is way off base and probalby hasn't watched him play since juniors. Acceleration is an issue--there is no dispute there. He is deinfately the worst skater of the three. However, he is by no means slow (seriously, where do you guys come up with this stuff?), and if anything, the one the he has going for him the skating department is balance. The guy is extremely hard to knock off his skates. Honestly, I wish people would start watching players the try to make assesments on.

Bernier is also a safe bet in the sense that at worst, he will be a regular 4th liner. The guy has NHLer written all over. Whether he can fullfill his potential is another question. At worst, he is a Wayne Primeau, and at best, he is a Keith Primeau (minus the leadership qualities).

I have watched this kid steadily since he was drafted by the Sharks. He has made amazing strides in overall improvement in the past couple of years. I used to be extremely hard him (search my old posts and you will see), but he has improved in most areas that I felt he was lacking in. His skating has improved, his hockey sense is tons better (no more floating), he actually plays defense now (though he needs more work), and his overall work ethic is top notch now. He's sacrificed his offense for a better all around game, and it's brought him to the NHL.

For you guys that are stats gurus, just take a look at the stats. For those of you who don't feel stats are butter, then PLEASE watch the kid play a few games until you come up with mindless drivel.

ukyo

Mar 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Visit site
Baron Von Shark said:
Bernier is also a safe bet in the sense that at worst, he will be a regular 4th liner. The guy has NHLer written all over. Whether he can fullfill his potential is another question. At worst, he is a Wayne Primeau, and at best, he is a Keith Primeau (minus the leadership qualities).

Only if he remains a Shark (or goes to a team with a similar system). The Sharks roll one great top line and then 3 lines of essentially the same thing at varying degrees of skill. They don't have an energy line or a stopper line or a dedicated second scoring line (I guess you could just point to whatever line Marleau is playing). Bernier on another team that does have specific roles for each line would need to be on the top two lines scoring or he won't make it at all because he's too slow to be on an energy line and not good enough defensively to be on a stopper unit.

I am of the opinion that that won't be a problem; he is very creative and has decent size so he should be able to make up for his weaker skating. He sort of reminds me of a bigger Andrew Brunette and I wouldn't be surprised if that's the sort of player he becomes.

Tambellini is in a different boat in that even if he doesn't pan out as a first or second line scoring winger, he still has the skating ability and speed to play an energy role or kill penalties (provided he devotes himself to improve his defense). The big thing about Tambellini is that his shot is just ridiculous, especially off a rush. His offensive ceiling on his own is somewhat limited because he isn't a particularly good stickhandler or a creative passer but he is very VERY good at skating without the puck, which I think is a skill that has more value in the NHL than in lower leagues. Combine his shot with his ability to blow by defensemen then his potential is really limited to how well his teammates can find him skating down a seam.

Pure Rock Fury*

ukyo said:
Only if he remains a Shark (or goes to a team with a similar system). The Sharks roll one great top line and then 3 lines of essentially the same thing at varying degrees of skill. They don't have an energy line or a stopper line or a dedicated second scoring line (I guess you could just point to whatever line Marleau is playing). Bernier on another team that does have specific roles for each line would need to be on the top two lines scoring or he won't make it at all because he's too slow to be on an energy line and not good enough defensively to be on a stopper unit.

I am of the opinion that that won't be a problem; he is very creative and has decent size so he should be able to make up for his weaker skating. He sort of reminds me of a bigger Andrew Brunette and I wouldn't be surprised if that's the sort of player he becomes.
:shakehead

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
ukyo said:
The Sharks roll one great top line and then 3 lines of essentially the same thing at varying degrees of skill. They don't have an energy line or a stopper line or a dedicated second scoring line (I guess you could just point to whatever line Marleau is playing).

Wow... :help:

Ekman - J Thornton - Cheechoo = Scoring line
Bernier - Marleau - Michalek = Scoring line
S Thornton - McCauley - Goc = Checking/Defensive line
Stevenson - Smith - Dimitrakos/Parker = Energy line

Please, watch some Sharks games and pay attention before you say what the Sharks do and don't have...

And speaking in terms of Bernier/Stewart/Tambellini, I think that all of them have tools to be in the NHL in some role.

Tambellini can at best be a good scoring forward, and at worst he'd be a Matt Cooke-ish energy player.

Stewart can at best be a decent power forward, and at worst someone can try and develop him defensively and turn him into a grinder.

Bernier can at best be a good power forward, and at worst his size and strength could make him into a hard checking forward. I don't think his skating can be an absolute crippling blow either, because look at guys like Luc Robitaille, or (if you want a more current and Sharks-centric example) Jonathan Cheechoo. They were supposed to be held back by sub-par skating and as a result miss out on joining the highest tier of offensive skill. But I guess 35 goals this year for Cheech doesn't mean anything (and so help me, don't drag the "it's all because of Thornton argument in), nor does Robitaille's scoring record. After all, what does being the highest scoring LW of all time prove? ;)

And Brunette = 6-1, 210, Bernier = 6-2, 230. 1 inch isn't much difference, but 20 pounds sure is.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Rush5Collapse5 said:
Don't let their AHL stats fool you, Tambellini is on the better team where everyone is hot right now. Tambellini is the better skater, but Bernier has better hands. Now if the Kings and Sharks could just get these two into a Seth Brundel Fly machine and clone the end result a few times.

No he doesn't. Tambellini has way better hands.

ukyo

Mar 2, 2003
Silicon Valley
Visit site
The Nemesis said:
Wow... :help:

Ekman - J Thornton - Cheechoo = Scoring line
Bernier - Marleau - Michalek = Scoring line
S Thornton - McCauley - Goc = Checking/Defensive line
Stevenson - Smith - Dimitrakos/Parker = Energy line

Please, watch some Sharks games and pay attention before you say what the Sharks do and don't have...

And speaking in terms of Bernier/Stewart/Tambellini, I think that all of them have tools to be in the NHL in some role.

Tambellini can at best be a good scoring forward, and at worst he'd be a Matt Cooke-ish energy player.

Stewart can at best be a decent power forward, and at worst someone can try and develop him defensively and turn him into a grinder.

Bernier can at best be a good power forward, and at worst his size and strength could make him into a hard checking forward. I don't think his skating can be an absolute crippling blow either, because look at guys like Luc Robitaille, or (if you want a more current and Sharks-centric example) Jonathan Cheechoo. They were supposed to be held back by sub-par skating and as a result miss out on joining the highest tier of offensive skill. But I guess 35 goals this year for Cheech doesn't mean anything (and so help me, don't drag the "it's all because of Thornton argument in), nor does Robitaille's scoring record. After all, what does being the highest scoring LW of all time prove? ;)

And Brunette = 6-1, 210, Bernier = 6-2, 230. 1 inch isn't much difference, but 20 pounds sure is.

Heh. I've watched just about every Sharks game that's been televised and some live over the past 5 years. You can just state that you think I'm wrong rather than insinuate that I have no idea what I'm talking about.

I believe that the Sharks lines don't operate in the same way most teams' lines do in that you could conceivably put any of the lines other than the top one out against any of the other teams' lines and not have it be a mismatch. But come on, who in their right mind would put Scott Thornton out there on a dedicated checking line?

In regards to Bernier, even if he doesn't pan out as a top-flight scoring winger he can still be plugged into Stevenson/Goc/Scott Thornton/Dimitrakos' slot and still be productive for the Sharks because he is a good interchangeable part in that system. On most other teams though, the 3rd and 4th lines require more skating ability so it'd be top-six or bust for Bernier.

You're absolutely right though about how (not) crippling his skating is in regards to offense. Look no further than on your own team at Joe.

Let's put it this way. If Joe doesn't score, he's worthless to most teams. If Marleau doesn't score, at least he can fly around on the forecheck and play either an energy or checking role. On the Sharks though, Joe would still have value because his role wouldn't change if he were demoted to the 4th line, he'd just be getting 4th line minutes with different guys.

And I do believe I said Bernier seems like a bigger Andrew Brunette, whatever that means.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->