Stevens legacy threatened

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I say this lightly but I say it nonetheless : Tuomo Ruutu will be remembered as the most physical and intimidating player to ever play the game when all is said and done.

Flame on.

Knucklez

Jan 1, 2004
Behind the bench!
Visit site
Nobody will ever top Stevens. If you're lining up for a face-off and you see Stevens on the blueline glaring at you, you immediately soil yourself. While Ruutu may become an intimidating hitter, I doubt he'll ever reach the level of Stevens.

McThome

Aug 12, 2003
Edmonton
www.geocities.com
and I think simply because of the size thing. Also - he doesn't quite look as mean.

Suffice to say, I have him in a keeper sim league - and damn am I ever set with him, Spezza, Pouliot, Comrie, Roy, Mirnov, Schremp up the middle!

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I wasn't 100% serious. But what I've seen so far from this kid just amazes me. I am a relatively new fan, since I started watching NHL hockey back in 92, but I've never seen a kid lay so many bone crushing hits during a game. I didn't get to watch a lot of Blackhawks games, but ever since I heard Suter's comments on Ruutu I was wondering if he was exagerating. So I watched Ruutu with a lot of attention in this tournament and even though I had been warned, I came away surprised after each game. He hits so hard, and so often. Leetch and Heatley could tell you about it. He can just take a player totaly off his game with one hit.

I don't think he'll go down as the most intimidating and physical player ever but I'm confident to say that everyone facing the Blackhawks for the next 10 years will be aware when he's on the ice and he's going to have an advantage because of it. I think his goal tonight is an exemple of that. You just don't know what to expect when you face him. And that extra second will give him that extra room to make plays.

I'm officialy a fan of his.

oilers_guy_eddie

Playoffs? PLAYOFFS!?
Feb 27, 2002
This is Oil Country!
Visit site
Before last season I figured Ruutu must be another overhyped HF lovechild, but once I got a look at him I was on the bandwagon. Igor Ulanov blasted him with a crushing hit, and not only did Ruutu bounce back, but he blasted Ulanov right back later on in the game.

His goal tonight was spectacular. I wish he was on my team.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
E = CH² said:
I say this lightly but I say it nonetheless : Tuomo Ruutu will be remembered as the most physical and intimidating player to ever play the game when all is said and done.

Flame on.

Ruutu seems to have a very high density (combination of strength, balance and timing?). He is good at punishing players with clean hits in the same same way Stevens is.

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
Yeah TRuutu has the goods for sure... but that Heatley hit was away from the puck no? I was suprised he didn't get the box... but then again maybe I missed Heatley with the puck?

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
quat said:
Yeah TRuutu has the goods for sure... but that Heatley hit was away from the puck no? I was suprised he didn't get the box... but then again maybe I missed Heatley with the puck?

I got the same impression from watching the replay, but that doesn't mean it was intentional, looked more like an accidental collision. Heatley looked like he hit a rock.

Last edited:

Teezax

Nov 25, 2002
Montreal
Toput Ruutu and Stevens int he same sentence is just wrong.
"Someone is really going to make him eat his lunch" Ken Hitchcock
in reference to Martin Havlat, but it applies here too.

espo*

I love the way the guy plays but i doubt he'll be able to do that over the long haul like steven's,who picks his spots a lot better.He reminds me of Roenick a lot,two guys who love to play and hit but maybe overdo it and get injured a lot as they get older.A lot of guys will be taking Ruutu's number too. He will need to mature a bit as a player to make his career last over the long haul.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->