Player Discussion: Steven Stamkos

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I don't buy that he's injured. And Macho's right that he very likely was TB's worst player tonight.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
What a game by 91! The ability to find open ice at center ice and gracefully pick the center of the net in fantastic form, celly and manage to be the only one laughing among him, Kuch and Miller. Wow. What a game. That's all I can say. That's why he's the captain.

Ok damn it Hose, I can't do this.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
He also drew two penalties.

He also had a penalty that they scored on and was the one who turned it over which led to the Bergeron shortie. So all his good was negated by his bad. His goal was vintage Stammer so as long as he's shooting like that I can forgive the rest.

Lightning1995

May 16, 2016
I though the penalty call on Stammer was BS. He barely grazed the player while making a play on the puck. Can’t remember if that’s the play when Chara took a fall? Maybe that was another BS call, I loose track!

Reactions: DFC

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
I though the penalty call on Stammer was BS. He barely grazed the player while making a play on the puck. Can’t remember if that’s the play when Chara took a fall? Maybe that was another BS call, I loose track!

Agree, the call was weak. Chara took the “fall” on TJ’s poke.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Stamkos proved my shooting point last night. The more he just focuses on finding open ice and taking one timers, limiting the amount of time the puck is on his stick, the more productive player he will be.

When he's confident with the puck on the stick him and Kucherov are even more dominant though. In the playoffs when it's tighter he's better suited playing away from the puck.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
I'm just glad Stamkos did anything at all of importance. I watch other playoff series and their captains play well or at least be smart about what they are doing. Then I watch Stamkos have bad sequences short of tripping over his own skate laces and can't help but think "God why does this have to be our captain when everyone else's is playing better" I'm not in his head and can't speak to how he feels but Stamkos seems like he can get anyone else but himself to play better.

If we win this series we're not going to last long in the next one unless he gets better. I hope I'm wrong but we cannot rely on our secondary scoring forever.

Hockey4Life91

Mar 13, 2018
When he's confident with the puck on the stick him and Kucherov are even more dominant though. In the playoffs when it's tighter he's better suited playing away from the puck.

In no situation is Stammer ever better with the puck on his stick for an extended period of time. I am a huge fan. But that’s the truth. I can cue the 500+ turnovers over his career.

Reactions: Sky04

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
In no situation is Stammer ever better with the puck on his stick for an extended period of time. I am a huge fan. But that’s the truth. I can cue the 500+ turnovers over his career.

Respectfully disagree, this season he was at his best with the puck on his stick, racking up all those assists. It was the same case in 2014 before the injury, where he looked like a true MVP candidate. The problem is that he loses confidence easily and can't overcome tighter defensive schemes in the playoffs.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Stamkos trying to be a playmaker is a zebra changing its stripes. He has more assists for it but it also leaves us without a designated trigger man. When on the ice he is our best given shooter and trying to defer in order make an unexpected play so someone else can take a less efficient shot than if Stamkos were to shoot it only hampers us. It looks nice when it works but let's think of who he passes to.... The streaky Kucherov who is by no means above passing it again and can either shoot wide or deliver a dagger. Miller who is an okay shooter but not a huge threat or a defenseman who has a 50/50 shot of even getting the puck on net.

Stamkos needs to stop trying to be Lecavalier and go back to being Brett Hull and Mike Bossy type of shooter

Reactions: Hockey4Life91

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Respectfully disagree, this season he was at his best with the puck on his stick, racking up all those assists. It was the same case in 2014 before the injury, where he looked like a true MVP candidate. The problem is that he loses confidence easily and can't overcome tighter defensive schemes in the playoffs.

He was at his best in 2012 when he was a pure shooter, after November he was neither an elite shooter or elite an elite passer. What started as the best season of his career fell into a scoring finish outside the top-10, didn't even break 30 goals and a season thats nowhere close to his top-3 years.

His shot is his best asset, the less he uses it the less effective he is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->