Steven A. Smith...no hockey talk

bladoww

Team of the Future
Jan 13, 2005
Smith is an idiot. I don't care what color you are - if you're a guy and you don't like hockey (or at the very least can't respect it), well, maybe you're not a guy after all.

Ogopogo*

i watch this guy on espn...it seems the show focuses on sports NBA, NFL, MLB (sometimes) and big time college sports......except the NHL....

the NHL doesn't even exist on that show's radar....

Interesting how shows like that don't exist on my radar.

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
"I dont understand this pick what so eva, this is a terrible pick by the Raptas."

-Steven A. Smith

ANYWAYS; I particularly hate the sports show called The best damn sports show period., all they talk about is Basketball, baseball and football. The NHL does not exist on either ESPN or FOX. I believe its because they lost so much money on the NHL, but still how do you expect people to become exposed to hockey. Oh and Chris Paul achieving breakthrough athlete of the year over Alexander Ovechkin. PLEASE.

krudmonk

Jan 12, 2006
Sannozay
I had to look up who Chris Paul was.

The NBA is just as much a struggling company trying to shake it's image and recapture former glory, but nobody seems to jump on its back. Like most people have said, S.A. Smith is probably better off not talking about hockey. We'd just get another Nielsen ratings discussion or Bertuzzi debate. Anyone who tries to talk hockey just goes over the same tired subjects so why bother?

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
Slightly off topic. I rarely listen to sports radio mainly because it bores me and more so due to the lack of hockey discussion but I did catch a national show during the 2006 Finals and it was one of those defining moments. The caller was Magnus from Minnesota. He barely said his piece of the wonders of hockey before the host said "You know why hockey will never make it? Because you have to have a name like Magnus and be from a place like Minnesota to like it." The channel was immediately switched.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Slightly off topic. I rarely listen to sports radio mainly because it bores me and more so due to the lack of hockey discussion but I did catch a national show during the 2006 Finals and it was one of those defining moments. The caller was Magnus from Minnesota. He barely said his piece of the wonders of hockey before the host said "You know why hockey will never make it? Because you have to have a name like Magnus and be from a place like Minnesota to like it." The channel was immediately switched.

XM Radio hockey talk my friend, XM Radio Home Ice. Finally a sports station I can listen to, although even I disagree with some of the views on there, still entertaining nonetheless.

guinness

Not Ingrid for now
Mar 11, 2002
Missoula, Montana
www.missoulian.com
SAS was supposed to appear at my university tomorrow, but was postponed, I thought about going to see him just yell, and act angry for no apparent reason. Maybe the organizers figured that he just sucks and postponed him indefinitely.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
Stephen A. Smith makes me pine for a Stuart Scott hosted sportscenter. That is about as bad as it can get.

OG6ix

Apr 11, 2006
Toronto
SAS had mark messier on last week. He asked him some good questions it wasn't a bad interview. You guys are getting angry for no reason, ask any producer for any national radio/tv station in the US and they'll tell you that talking hockey flat lines their ratings. It's sad, but it's the truth.

Hockey needs some visable minorites in the game, it is a must these days. No one sees Jarome Iginla because he is stuck in Calgary. It doesn't help when you have guys like Georges Laraque and Donald Brashear playing the enforcer roles.

TheDanceOfMaternity

Jul 13, 2006
San Francisco, CA
I would still think he is a ****** if I wasn't a hockey fan.

And if I was a Kobe fan, or a Patriots fan, or a TO fan (being all he ever talks about), I would not find a single thing inciteful about what he has to say that involves screwing with players' lives on national television.

TheMoose

Jun 23, 2005
i watch this guy on espn...it seems the show focuses on sports NBA, NFL, MLB (sometimes) and big time college sports......except the NHL....

the NHL doesn't even exist on that show's radar....

Who cares? He's a loud, arrogant blow hard. Could really care less. I understand you want to expose the game and get it more pub, but who really cares about Steven A. Smith?

puckhead103*

Who cares? He's a loud, arrogant blow hard. Could really care less. I understand you want to expose the game and get it more pub, but who really cares about Steven A. Smith?
you can also equate don cherry as being loud and arrogant..too...right?

Hopper15

Oct 2, 2006
Bay Area
No sport shows hardly discuss hockey, what make quite frankly any different. The people who callled him racist are very ignorant.

Higgy4

Jan 18, 2004
Toledo, Ohio
I dont like him either. I despise him, in fact. But why does this need a thread of its own? If you are looking to find some hockey on the Stephen A. Smith show, then you are really digging at the bottom of the barrel.

But, to be fair...it isnt his sport. Don Cherry would sound just as rediculous talking NBA basketball as Smith would talking hockey. So...lets be fair about it. Some guys can talk about all sports, but there are MANY who only know what they know. Or, they decline to talk about something they clearly know nothing about. I, for one, take it as a admission by Smith that he doesnt know hockey, so why talk about i? I would rather have him NOT discuss hockey, then to try and discuss it and make himself look completely idiotic.

He has his niche...it sucks, mind you...but it is his niche, and his show gets fairly good ratings.

Hopper15

Oct 2, 2006
Bay Area
i guess you have never seen/heard his show if you dont think he is a racist.

I've seen his show and I have seen guys like Mark Messier, Pete Rose, Wayne Gretzky, John McCain and Donald Trump and all have been great interviews and he's even worked with guys like Tom Tolbert and Tim Legler.

Year of the Shark!!!

Oct 25, 2005
A few months ago I heard that his ratings were like 20,000 households which forced ESPN to move him from his primetime slot (4:30 p.m. ET) to 11 p.m ET.

Lokking at that, I would question why any hockey personality would go to the show when practically no one will watch.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad