OT: Steve Vogelsang Arrested

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
As Steve Vogelsang was the local On Air sports personality for CTV (CKY) in Winnipeg for years..I thought it might warrant a thread for discussion...
Arrested for two bank robberies in Alberta..
Watched the guy for years growing up...seriously messed up
I knew it!!!
Just kidding shocker

SoCalJetsFan

Sponsor
Oct 5, 2015
Temecula, CA
I guess it's true what they say "you just never really know a TV personality that you've never met":D

Gosh I am bored waiting for more jets hockey'

Last edited:
Nov 24, 2006
Sad when anyone's life goes into the toilet like this, or in any other way for that matter.

Agreed. I saw a FP story about it, and it sounds like his life slowly took turns for the worse until he hit rock bottom. I was feeling pretty sorry for him as the article went on though.

Bottom line though, the guy was apparently a long time cheater, had a sexual assault charge against him, and now ultimately, he's a criminal. He made some very bad choices that led to this.

CH3NO2

Jul 9, 2011
Sounds like he would be a perfect fit to do financial analysis on the 1290 morning show

DeepFrickinValue

Formally Ruffus
May 14, 2015
Remember pokey and the bandit? We could rename pokey and the vogelsang.

Or perhaps instead of "highway robbery" on the glove save, "vogelsaved"

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Steve Vogelsang Western Canada Tour 17'

Cities

Regina

Medicine Hat

Saskatoon

TOUR CANCELLED

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Saskatoon police say a former Winnipeg television news director is a person of interest in a bank robbery that occurred over the summer.
Stephen Vogelsang, who is 53, is facing five bank robbery charges — two in Medicine Hat, Alta., and three in Regina.
Police in Saskatoon say the robbery occurred on July 31 but they haven't laid any charges yet.
Vogelsang is currently in custody in Medicine Hat and hasn't answered the Regina charges in court yet.
Vogelsang was a journalism instructor at Red River College in Winnipeg from 2002 until 2011.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Saskatoon police have charged a former Winnipeg television news director in a bank robbery that occurred in July.
Stephen Vogelsang, who is 53, is currently in custody in Medicine Hat, Alta., charged with robbing two banks in that city.

Vogelsang is also charged in three bank robberies in Regina.
Police say the Saskatoon robbery occurred on July 31.
They say it's not known when Vogelsang will appear in court in Saskatoon on the single charge.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Yeah, nobody is reporting on this at all. That's interesting to me. I know reporters found it, because it's right on his twitter.

This whole situation is sad. Considering Vogelsang never was employed by True North, perhaps it may have been his way of fooling himself, and saying "everything in my life is great" to his peers and former students, when the wheels were clearly coming off. I obviously don't know of the circumstances in his life since he left RRC in 2011, but most people don't start robbing banks and having domestic issues at 53, after never really getting into trouble with the law. Like many men, it just sounds like he did not reach out to his support system, until it was too late.

The Fist

Fist full of dollars
Feb 9, 2014
Winnipeg
Yeah, nobody is reporting on this at all. That's interesting to me. I know reporters found it, because it's right on his twitter.

According to the coverage of this I’ve read the TNSE gig in 2014 coincides with his return to Winnipeg from Nelson (where he lost $85,000 on three properties) he also was temporarily back at RRC when domestic issues with one of or maybe two ex girlfriends/former student he had an affair with/stalked, that woman or Women filed restraining orders, that likely cacked any chance at the TN job and ended his return at RRC who terminated him shortly after. I believe it’s also around this time that his house in the city was being foreclosed.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
According to the coverage of this I’ve read the TNSE gig in 2014 coincides with his return to Winnipeg from Nelson (where he lost $85,000 on three properties) he also was temporarily back at RRC when domestic issues with one of or maybe two ex girlfriends/former student he had an affair with/stalked, that woman or Women filed restraining orders, that likely cacked any chance at the TN job and ended his return at RRC who terminated him shortly after. I believe it’s also around this time that his house in the city was being foreclosed.
He tweeted about that TNSE gig in May 2014. The protection order and the foreclosure of the house came earlier this year. That leaves a fairly big time gap (32 months?). So I doubt that played a role in any kind of prospective employment opportunity with True North. What is really sad about this whole situation is many of his former students and colleagues have mentioned that they would have tried to help him out, had they known about his personal struggles.

Last edited:

The Fist

Fist full of dollars
Feb 9, 2014
Winnipeg
Hmmmm, according to the National Post, unless I’m misreading it they suggest 2014,

Vogelsang moved back to Winnipeg in 2014 and he and his wife separated and, eventually, divorced.
He then faced a sexual assault charge, which was stayed: the details of that charge are unknown.
Vogelsang took back up with his former girlfriend about the same time he returned to Winnipeg, but he was in financial straits, unable to renew the mortgage or make payments on the Winnipeg home he once shared with his wife; his wife alleges he forged her signature in order to renew the loan.
The home was facing foreclosure in early October.

Unless early October is just this past month.

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada...orts-anchor-now-accused-in-two-bank-robberies

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Hmmmm, according to the National Post, unless I’m misreading it they suggest 2014,

Vogelsang moved back to Winnipeg in 2014 and he and his wife separated and, eventually, divorced.
He then faced a sexual assault charge, which was stayed: the details of that charge are unknown.
Vogelsang took back up with his former girlfriend about the same time he returned to Winnipeg, but he was in financial straits, unable to renew the mortgage or make payments on the Winnipeg home he once shared with his wife; his wife alleges he forged her signature in order to renew the loan.
The home was facing foreclosure in early October.

Unless early October is just this past month.

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada...orts-anchor-now-accused-in-two-bank-robberies

The dates of the divorce proceedings and the protection order are on the Court of Queen's Bench site

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad