Steve Thomas...has lost his mind

Status
Not open for further replies.

buce

Jan 25, 2005
Toronto
Just listening to Steve Thomas on the Fan 590. Another player I loved, but how did he get so stupid. He just blathered on that he couldn't understand why the owners kept including a salary cap in their offers when the players told them that they don't want one. Oh I see, the owners should only negotiate off what the players do or do not want. Maybe the players should come out and state that they want a minimum salary of 3 million, a 30 game season, and every player wins the Stanley Cup. Then they should act confused when the owners don't include this in their offer. My god is Thomas delusional. He sounded so shocked that the owners kept including a cap. Oh and between sentences he just plugged some hockey game he was playing in. What a brainwashed idiot.

jcab2000

Mar 3, 2004
Raleigh, NC
buce said:
Just listening to Steve Thomas on the Fan 590. Another player I loved, but how did he get so stupid. He just blathered on that he couldn't understand why the owners kept including a salary cap in their offers when the players told them that they don't want one. Oh I see, the owners should only negotiate off what the players do or do not want. Maybe the players should come out and state that they want a minimum salary of 3 million, a 30 game season, and every player wins the Stanley Cup. Then they should act confused when the owners don't include this in their offer. My god is Thomas delusional. He sounded so shocked that the owners kept including a cap. Oh and between sentences he just plugged some hockey game he was playing in. What a brainwashed idiot.

It's not much different than Teamsters who get violently angry when someone suggests that paying someone $25 an hour to sweep floors is ridiculous.

HF2002

Aug 20, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
gobuds said:
Don't worry, Thomas will be back on the morning show tomorrow cliaming to have been taken out of context!
People listened to him on the air and took him out of context? That seems about right - following the PA party line!

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
The thing that bothers me is that the radio host should challenge him on that. I don't hear a lot of people, who have access to these players, trying to persuade them to follow reason.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
buce said:

I would of asked him, if you can't understand why the owners keep including a salaray cap in their offers, then don't show up at all these meetings then, if you guys really aren't ready to accept a cap, then don't negotiate until it's off the table (which will never happen, and the players know this)

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
why is it that when a player speaks him mind he is nuts but when an owners speaks his mind he is a hero?

Maybe Thomas spoke the truth. Maybe he is shocked the owners kept including a cap. Just because a guy that had a financial state in the game doesn't agree with you doesn't mean he is wrong. This guy made money from the league and was a union member which is more than could be said for any of us.

jcab2000

Mar 3, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Son of Steinbrenner said:
why is it that when a player speaks him mind he is nuts but when an owners speaks his mind he is a hero?

Maybe Thomas spoke the truth. Maybe he is shocked the owners kept including a cap. Just because a guy that had a financial state in the game doesn't agree with you doesn't mean he is wrong. This guy made money from the league and was a union member which is more than could be said for any of us.

He's not nuts for speaking his mind. He's nuts for thinking the way he does.

windowlicker

Jun 17, 2003
Murky Wisconsin
Visit site

What you just wrote makes abosolutely no sense (unless you are Steve Thomas)

Ar-too

Zealous Scrub
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus, OH

Yankee fans should never, ever be allowed to comment on financial issues in any sport.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Well inthis case, Steve Thomas is nuts or an idiot, cause he can't say he's shocked the owners keep including a cap, because they warned the players 2 or 3 years ago that at the end of the expired CBA, they would be looking to implement a cap system...

This is no surprise to the players, they've known this for years...

Please! :shakehead

The NHLPA has taken the wrong approach to this situation, and will pay for it should they decide to be stubborn,...

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
DuklaNation said:
The thing that bothers me is that the radio host should challenge him on that. I don't hear a lot of people, who have access to these players, trying to persuade them to follow reason.

Mike Hogan never challenges anyone

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
417 TO MTL said:
Well inthis case, Steve Thomas is nuts or an idiot, cause he can't say he's shocked the owners keep including a cap, because they warned the players 2 or 3 years ago that at the end of the expired CBA, they would be looking to implement a cap system...

This is no surprise to the players, they've known this for years...

Please! :shakehead

The NHLPA has taken the wrong approach to this situation, and will pay for it should they decide to be stubborn,...
Both sides will pay for it if this season is lost. The players warned the owners 2 or 3 years ago they wouldn't accept a cap. What makes either side right or wrong? neither of us can say.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Both sides will pay for it if this season is lost. The players warned the owners 2 or 3 years ago they wouldn't accept a cap. What makes either side right or wrong? neither of us can say.

Because the owners have every right to determine which system to use when paying the players, it's up to the players to negotiate what they can get off that system, the other major sports have some kind of cost certainty, for the NHL not to have one, makes no sense whatsover, none...

For that reason alone, the players should see that they need to accept a cap, something that is unevitable...

Like i've said all along, the players know the cap is unevitable, they've just been trying to push the enveloppe to see if the owners are bluffing, the players don't want to voluntarily accept a salary cap, they want to be forced to accept it...

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
417 TO MTL said:
Because the owners have every right to determine which system to use when paying the players, it's up to the players to negotiate what they can get off that system, the other major sports have some kind of cost certainty, for the NHL not to have one, makes no sense whatsover, none...

For that reason alone, the players should see that they need to accept a cap, something that is unevitable...

Like i've said all along, the players know the cap is unevitable, they've just been trying to push the enveloppe to see if the owners are bluffing, the players don't want to voluntarily accept a salary cap, they want to be forced to accept it...
They don't have every right to determine which system is used. Have you ever heard of the term Collective Bargining Agreement? The owners can put anything on the table but nothing can make the players agree to it.

I don't know how you can say the players want a cap forced upon them. Do you know any players?

Ar-too

Zealous Scrub
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
But Bengals fans should :lol

I'm serious. They should ammend the constitution. It should read something like:

Freedom of speech for all, except Yankee fans when it comes to sports finances.

Yankee fans have no idea what other teams' fans go through.

Son of Steinbrenner

Jul 9, 2003
s3por2d said:
I'm serious. They should ammend the constitution. It should read something like:

Freedom of speech for all, except Yankee fans when it comes to sports finances.

Yankee fans have no idea what other teams' fans go through.
do you think i root for the yankees in every sport? I'm also a Jets, Rangers, and Nets fan. Those are some succesful franchises there :shakehead

I have seen the yankees when they were bad (the chuck cary bob geren wayne tollison years) and good. Don't tell me i can't comment on anything.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
do you think i root for the yankees in every sport? I'm also a Jets, Rangers, and Nets fan. Those are some succesful franchises there :shakehead

I have seen the yankees when they were bad (the chuck cary bob geren wayne tollison years) and good. Don't tell me i can't comment on anything.

rangers AND yankees? oh boy...there's a match made in heaven :D

ps- i wasn't aware people still followed basketball

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
He hasn't lost his mind at all.

The owners have never offered anything but their own framework. To them, there is only one solution for a new CBA.

There has been no real compromise and no real attempt made to address the players' concerns...just a bunch of vague promises to share profits and playoff revenues.

The measures the NHL has made to appear as "concessions" really aren't. The classic example is arbitration.

First they set the baseline by saying they want to abolish it. Then they appear to "concede" by making it 2-way(not that this is even a concession, because it gives power but then takes it right back again for the league). Then they try to take it away again in exchange for a lower UFA age. Nothing is ever truly conceded.

In other words, heads the owners win, tails the players lose.

And now everybody's screaming the players are insane not to sign this?

Whatever.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
They don't have every right to determine which system is used. Have you ever heard of the term Collective Bargining Agreement? The owners can put anything on the table but nothing can make the players agree to it.

I don't know how you can say the players want a cap forced upon them. Do you know any players?

Sure whatever...

You don't see how I can see that the players want a cap forced upon them, they've been waiting for a drop dead date, they want to see if the owners are serious this time, or if they'll just fold at the last possible second like in 1994, when the players realize that the owners are serious, as I assume they already have due to Goodenow entering the fray again, they will accept or adjust the NHL's last offer, you'll see...

The players know a cap is inevitable, but that dosen't mean they'll come right out and accept it, if they are to play under a cap system, the owners will have to fight tooth and nail to make them do it, although the players look like idiots, they aren't actually

habfan4

Jul 16, 2002
Deus Amat Pretzel
Visit site
Stumpy probably hasn't lost his mind.

However, he, like a good portion of the NHLPA certainly don't appear to be very pragmatic. After 10 years of escalating costs, the owners (who let's face it have the deeper pockets) are determined to introduce a system that ensures cost certainty. Bray all you like about bargaining being a two way street, but when management has the ability and determination to lock you out indefinitely, you'd better start to reconsider your opposition to salary restrictions.

Last edited:

MarkZackKarl

Jun 29, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Or you could decertify and sink the league.

Or get into negotiations to start up another legaue. You really think that there wont be a market out there for the world's elite hockey talent? HOw can the NHL be the premiere league or even exist if all the best players aren't playing in it? Who the hell would care about it? No one.

Dumb.

Ar-too

Zealous Scrub
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
scaredsensfan said:
Or you could decertify and sink the league.

Or get into negotiations to start up another legaue. You really think that there wont be a market out there for the world's elite hockey talent? HOw can the NHL be the premiere league or even exist if all the best players aren't playing in it? Who the hell would care about it? No one.

Dumb.

I'm trying not to be too jingoistic here, but having the USA involved in the NHL is what allows the players to make so much money. Americans are notoriously willing to blow a ton of money on entertainment. Going elsewhere to play is nice and all, but are they willing to make peanuts compared to what they make here in the states long term?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad