Confirmed with Link: Steve Staios Hired as POHO

Status
Not open for further replies.

redbrick98

Jun 6, 2023
LoVE how Steve Staois is **clearly defining roles and ensuring the public knows Dorion is tasked with the day to day handlings of the team right now.

Let's see how Dorion deals with this Pinto responsibility Staois has told him to deal with

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
LoVE how Steve Staois is **clearly defining roles and ensuring the public knows Dorion is tasked with the day to day handlings of the team right now.

Let's see how Dorion deals with this Pinto responsibility Staois has told him to deal with
He was always going to have to deal with it though, it’s part of the GM’s job, not the POHOs job.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
In my opinion that wrong. I don’t think they wouldn’t prevent him getting a promotion.

The Sens aren’t interviewing for a GM right now because the owner chose not to fire the GM, and the guy who could fire him was just hired.

As I posited earlier, this seems like the start of a professional ownership situation, and part of that is you don’t fire people when the team is on the rise just because some fans wish it was so.

No, you take the time to evaluate and see what needs support, what needs creating, and what needs removing.

If they wanted to remove Dorion immediately they could have, and Darche would be available to interview.
32 thoughts podcast had a good synopsis.

Pretty much Dorion will be around this year and it didnt make sense to cause so much instability by bringing in a POHO and a new GM. Dorion could last past this year but it seems like Ottawa doesn't want to be in the news cycle for being unstable and causing a distraction early in the season with a lot of change. It seems like POHO is already a big change

Like many have said here its a little too late right now to change the GM. You won't have a large pool of candidates available and Andlauer obviously doesn't want to cause distractions

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

Pretty much Dorion will be around this year and it didnt make sense to cause so much instability by bringing in a POHO and a new GM. Dorion could last past this year but it seems like Ottawa doesn't want to be in the news cycle for being unstable and causing a distraction early in the season with a lot of change. It seems like POHO is already a big change

Like many have said here its a little too late right now to change the GM. You won't have a large pool of candidates available and Andlauer obviously doesn't want to cause distractions
I don’t think we disagree on much in this regard, I just don’t think changing the GM was in the cards no matter how early in the summer they took over.

I guess I’m willing to take Andlauer at his word, along with what usually happens with new owners, and expect them to go through an evaluation process in regards to the current staff, along with taking time to witness the performance of the team.

There will be more changes for certain.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I expect more additions, and no subtractions this season…. That is unless the team craps the bed in the first 20-25 games, and then a coaching change would be warranted.

I think upper management will review the entire management staff next off season, and make the subtractions they feel are needed.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I think Tampa would let him interview for a promotion no matter what time of year it was.
I mean, we didn't with Capuano, Toronto didn't with DJ Smith, and those were in the offseason, they just didn't want to let their guys go.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
I expect more additions, and no subtractions this season…. That is unless the team craps the bed in the first 20-25 games, and then a coaching change would be warranted.

I think upper management will review the entire management staff next off season, and make the subtractions they feel are needed.
That’s what I would expect as well. I think we see Alfie added in the rumoured player development role.

I wouldn’t expect any changes to Dorion or DJ unless we’re out of the playoffs in the first 15-20 games

all I care about is the team addressing organizational weaknesses. Firing people and hiring new people is just one approach to solving that.

I love what we have done so far, new head of Pro Scouting (major need), bolstered analytics (great for the coaching staff), and hired a POHO from a winning background

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
There's an awful lot involved in running a hockey team, even more if you happen to own your AHL team also.

It's not hard at all to see two distinct roles with POHO involved in all hockey aspects of a 150M a year entity and the GM solely focussed on the acquisition and disposition of talent for the NHL team.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I mean, we didn't with Capuano, Toronto didn't with DJ Smith, and those were in the offseason, they just didn't want to let their guys go.
It does happen, but it is rare, and everyone was pissed about it at the time.

Guys behind the bench may be a bit different as they are part of the team or closer to it in terms of running properly, but maybe they would stop Darche from applying for the top job.

It would be super lame in my opinion though.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
They'll allow Darche in the offseason, won't in the middle of the season.

Boston had wanted Chirelli as soon as they began the search for a new GM in March, they had to wait until the Sens were done to get him, and then had to wait another 3 months for him to be allowed to join the team in July.

Ghost of Jody Hull

May 20, 2022

Staios seems to be pouring a little cold water over the expectations for this season.

"It's one thing to get a team to this level, we need to continue to work at it. There's still a lot of work to do for us to break through."

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Aside from complimenting how tight nit the players are off the ice, he hasn't said much about their on-ice potential.

Maybe he thinks they suck.
He might! Though he’s probably just a humble dude who doesn’t want to jinx the group or put undo expectations on a situation he just walked in on.

Players are notoriously superstitious as they say, so I doubt we’ll see much in the way of prognostications until the boys actually make the playoffs.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Nice , that’s what I said in the spring.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
There's no chance in hell Staios blows up the core just because "they're Dorion's guys".

At least not unless the team craters badly.

light years before a POHO “blows up the core” he will get rid of the GM and Coaching staff…. Even if they crap the bed between now and December….

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015

Yes, he got rid of DJS after assuming the GM responsibilities…… (GM was let go by owner) and has plucked a few no names off waivers, but not much more….

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad