Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Bob Goodenow is a man in trouble

Apparently, after Goodenow reluctantly agreed to a salary cap, the executive council wanted to negotiate off a $46-million US figure. Goodenow went against their wishes and made the offer at $52 million.

In the end, the players were more akin to making a deal than their union leader was and now they are left asking: What's next?

If you believe that NHL owners easily again will abandon cost certainty after losing a season, think again.

If you believe that they again will offer up a $42.5-million salary cap, you are dreaming.

Not only are players upset with Goodenow, there are rumblings that Goodenow and chief negotiator Ted Saskin aren't on the same page,

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/TorontoSun/Sports/2005/02/18/934914-sun.html

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
RangerBoy said:

Apparently, after Goodenow reluctantly agreed to a salary cap, the executive council wanted to negotiate off a $46-million US figure. Goodenow went against their wishes and made the offer at $52 million.

In the end, the players were more akin to making a deal than their union leader was and now they are left asking: What's next?

If you believe that NHL owners easily again will abandon cost certainty after losing a season, think again.

If you believe that they again will offer up a $42.5-million salary cap, you are dreaming.

Not only are players upset with Goodenow, there are rumblings that Goodenow and chief negotiator Ted Saskin aren't on the same page,

Wow if they had come with a $46 mil figure they probably would have come down to or very near the $42.5 figure the NHL was offering. If this is the case Goodenow shouldn't be in control of the union. One thing to use your own strategy if it gets a better deal it's another to go against the wishes of those who you represent and fail to close the deal. If true.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Sounds like the only thing between us watching hockey and the players getting back to the sport they love is Big Bob. Bob, in in his new career, should host kids parties where he is the object of pin the tail on the donkey.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
In the Dallas Morning News,Mike Modano questioned the direction of the NHLPA leadership

"There were a lot of people who really couldn't understand how we could go so long not talking about a cap and then just change over to a cap like that," Modano said. "And a lot of people didn't like it."

Modano said the players weren't upset with the notion of a cap so much as they were the stance of their own union that possibly cost them five months of negotiations.

When asked if Goodenow had the support of the union, Modano replied, "I don't know, I don't know. I'm not sure."

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon.../stories/021805dnsponhlplayerslede.27c31.html

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
I'm seriously starting to wonder if "breaking the union" was really ever a goal for the NHL. I'm wondering if getting rid of Goodenow was higher on their list of priorities.

It's funny, but the NHLPA is almost a classic example of a victim of abuse. Previously under Allan Eagleson the players were taen advantage of, so they go out and get Big Bad Bob, and in turn take advantage of the owners. Hopefully at some point a little balance will be achieved so that the NHL doesn't lose a season of hockey every few years...

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
RangerBoy said:
Not only are players upset with Goodenow, there are rumblings that Goodenow and chief negotiator Ted Saskin aren't on the same page,[/B]

I beleive this wholeheartedly. I have always gotten the sense that Ted Saskin had more urgency and working harder than Goodenow ever was. Same with Daly with Bettman, although I think they are on the same page.

PhillyNucksFan

Dec 27, 2002
Philadelphia
Wow, is this true?

If this is, goodenow should be assisinated at once. If he had approached with 46M.. take the mid cap between 42.5 and 46.. it is 43M..

BUT then again, if Goodenow approached with 46M, league is probably countering a 36.. making 40M as the mid mark.. but there is a lot MORE room to negotiate, since i believe over half of the teams last year hit over the 36M mark.

FIRE HIM ALREADY... Bettman too while we at it

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
orcatown said:
Sounds like the only thing between us watching hockey and the players getting back to the sport they love is Big Bob.
Big dumb Bob.
Don't let the door hit your fat a$$ on the way out.
I can't wait until the PA dumps this jackass.

orcatown said:
Bob, in in his new career, should host kids parties where he is the object of pin the tail on the donkey.
:lol

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
RangerBoy said:

Let me tell you what I think of this, if this is true.

It is literally making me sick to my stomach.

So many people have counted on this getting settled and one persons attitude and poor guidance has ruined it...and I think people are afraid to do what has to be done to solve it.

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
This isn't a defense of Goodenow at all (I strongly disagree with his tactics through this whole thing), and is really off topic. But, as far as Simmons go. I've come to believe that he is the worst sports writer I've ever come across. The worst. Just had to get that off my chest.

Hossa

Feb 27, 2002
Abroad
Visit site
kenabnrmal said:
This isn't a defense of Goodenow at all (I strongly disagree with his tactics through this whole thing), and is really off topic. But, as far as Simmons go. I've come to believe that he is the worst sports writer I've ever come across. The worst. Just had to get that off my chest.

I agree that Simmons is generally bad, although he's no Al Strachan. But at least watching him on TSN in this lockout coverage period, he's not a fool. There are good and bad hockey journalists, but I find some of these guys that stink up the joint on on-ice reporting don't always stink it up when it comes to labour issues and financial stuff. Simmons to me, although hardly respectable on some other stuff, seems to have a grip on the financial aspects. That's just my impression though.

kenabnrmal

Feb 28, 2002
the beach or rink
Visit site
Hossa said:
I agree that Simmons is generally bad, although he's no Al Strachan. But at least watching him on TSN in this lockout coverage period, he's not a fool. There are good and bad hockey journalists, but I find some of these guys that stink up the joint on on-ice reporting don't always stink it up when it comes to labour issues and financial stuff. Simmons to me, although hardly respectable on some other stuff, seems to have a grip on the financial aspects. That's just my impression though.
I dunno, H-town. He does have a grasp on the financials, thats true. I've always cringed when I've seen him on TSN though. His grasp on hockey-matters is questionable. Thats just me though.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
go kim johnsson said:
I beleive this wholeheartedly. I have always gotten the sense that Ted Saskin had more urgency and working harder than Goodenow ever was. Same with Daly with Bettman, although I think they are on the same page.

I'd agree with that. No question Saskin and Linden spearheaded the union attempts. I think Daly and Bettman always were on the same page but Bettman took a back seat because of the players animosity towards him. While the exectuive obviously can't keep the membership updated up to the minute it seems strange that the broad strokes of the strategy weren't outlined. And very strange they didn't talk to reps who could filter it down to the players. Your membership should never be completely shocked over your own concessions. These guys were jaw-droppingly shocked on Dec 9th and then again Monday. NOt a few here or there who didn't contact the Rep but the reps on down were shocked. That in itself can erode trust pretty quickly let alone what seems to be a very poor negotiation on Goodenows part.

CarlRacki

Feb 9, 2004
go kim johnsson said:

I'd say you're right on with the latter comment. There seemed to be a very intentional good cop/bad cop dynamic with Daly and Bettman. Goodenow and Saskin seemed more of a bad cop/confused cop ... and by confused I mean confused by the PA strategy set by the top guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad