Steve Downie Annihilated by Sergei Kostitsyn

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
I usualy don't encourage that kind of play, but considering Downie gave a concusion to Latendresse in the past, I don't mind.

When have Downie and Latendresse ever come into contact with each other? I don't think they've ever played each other, considering they came up in two different leagues and their teams didn't meet in the Memorial Cup.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Does anyone know if this Kostitsyn sucks as much as his brother does?

RUSqueelin*

Nov 2, 2005
Sergei played with a real bee under his bonet again tonight. This kid is something. He's got that something to get him to the next level.

Mackee

Oct 9, 2003
Montreal
An amusing opinion. Brian Campbell was forced to back up his "clean" hit on Umberger. It's called hockey. You want to lay out a player off a suicide pass (especially when you're coming off the bench too early), prepare to suffer the consequences.

By that logic, we could say that the suicide pass is also called hockey.

I didn't see anything after the hit. Did Kostitsyn have to answer to that hit at any point in the game?

BigE

Mar 12, 2004
New York, NY
Great hit! I didn't know Kostitsyn had that sort of game.

Does he have that sort of game?

How many other players could step off the bench like that and throttle and unsuspecting player?

Even more interesting is how he pursued Kindl after the refs had him well tied up. That takes guts. ;)

Mackee

Oct 9, 2003
Montreal
Does he have that sort of game?

How many other players could step off the bench like that and throttle and unsuspecting player?

Even more interesting is how he pursued Kindl after the refs had him well tied up. That takes guts. ;)

So the thread is going to turn to shots at someone with the last name Kostitsyn? Shocking.

coolguy21415

Jul 17, 2003
For those thinking that Kostitsyn didn't get him good, Downie didn't play tonight. I don't remember seeing him get injured on any other play, so I can only assume that it was related to that hit.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
For those interested about SK:

Here a link to a Sergei Kostitsyn video montage from last year http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1WA8LntWHU. Kostitsyn recently broke the 100points mark and missed about 10games.

Andrei has more pure skills but Sergei is different in the way he works and use his body. I don't think many people would have suspected that and that's probaly he went low in his draft year.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
For those thinking that Kostitsyn didn't get him good, Downie didn't play tonight. I don't remember seeing him get injured on any other play, so I can only assume that it was related to that hit.

It was also a game against the last place team - I'm sure he's banged up a little, so a game off tonight was no big deal. He'll be playing tomorrow night vs Guelph.

coolguy21415

Jul 17, 2003
It was also a game against the last place team - I'm sure he's banged up a little, so a game off tonight was no big deal. He'll be playing tomorrow night vs Guelph.
Last place team or not, they played poorly enough to lose it, and were only saved because Beech let in one soft goal among the 50-odd shots on goal.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Last place team or not, they played poorly enough to lose it, and were only saved because Beech let in one soft goal among the 50-odd shots on goal.

Agree completely -- Kitchener played like crap tonight, with the exception of Halischuk. The backup goalie was sketchy (I'm being kind) all night.

That has very little to do with Downie not playing though.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Does anyone know if this Kostitsyn sucks as much as his brother does?

AK doesn't quite sucks...
And Sergei plays a much more physical, gritty game.
This part of his game was probably unknown at the time he was drafted, though. (or his offensive flair) -- Or he would never had been selected in the 7th round.

Dig Out Your Soul

Ex Storm...
Aug 8, 2005
it's ok to admit that aside from his teammates and home fans, Downie is public enemy number one. That's his game.

I wouldn't say it's limited to just his home fans, there ARE hockey fans that appreciate that kind of game whether they cheer for his team or not. You know, the unbiased ones. ;)

Even if you're right, it's still a LONG way from "who doesn't hate Steve Downie". The answer is A LOT of people.

benji

Took too much, man.
Dec 8, 2002
Too much.
yo
Stop worrying about the wording. If he had said "DOWNIE CRUSHED BY KOSTITSYN" would it have been better? I didn't know "annihilated", "destroyed", or any other adjective had metaphysical value when determining the hardness of a hit. Hyperbole. You all do it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad