Steve Downie Annihilated by Sergei Kostitsyn

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Annihilated? Hardly.

It was a hard hit, but Downie was so annihilated that he got up, went to the bench to have his visor fixed, and was back out on the ice (actually a little quicker than he should have) and scored a goal shortly thereafter.

KevinLin

Feb 17, 2007
I like how his team sticks up for him even though he hasn't been there too long...that is amazing.

coolguy21415

Jul 17, 2003
I think the guy was within 10 feet, but defnitely deserving of a too-many-men penalty, since Kostitsyn jumped into the play.

I was a bit worried that Downie would be out for tonight's game, since I'm going.. but it sounds like he's fine and it just smarted him.

David McConnor

Unregistered User
Aug 30, 2006
Alert, Nunavut
Annihilated? Hardly.

It was a hard hit, but Downie was so annihilated that he got up, went to the bench to have his visor fixed, and was back out on the ice (actually a little quicker than he should have) and scored a goal shortly thereafter.

He was on his back for a good 5 seconds huffing for air. When he finally got up he was hunched over gliding to the bench.

Sergei made him his you-know-what.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
He was on his back for a good 5 seconds huffing for air. When he finally got up he was hunched over gliding to the bench.

Sergei made him his you-know-what.

Lime, you kill me. Sergei jumped on the ice too early and was in a good position to make the hit. Don't act like it was a fabulous open ice hit where Billy lined him up and took a run at him. Having said that, it WAS a hard hit. No question.

I do like how the rest of the team jumped to Downie's defense -- it's the thing I like most about the Rangers and a Deboer team.

FlyersGuy69

Jul 9, 2002
purgatory
Visit site
Annihilated? Hardly.

and the great thing about it is, he can take it just as good as he gives it.

Rahan

May 27, 2003
Chicoutimi
Visit site
I think the guy was within 10 feet, but defnitely deserving of a too-many-men penalty, since Kostitsyn jumped into the play.

Dude, the commentator was clueless. It wasn't a too many men penalty at all, it was a hooking call as we seen during the video.

I thought that hit was great, especially since it's on Downie. :)

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Hardly annihalated. This was reminiscent, though, to the hit that White put on Avery earlier in the year. A very, very good hit (highlight real level) but neither play was trully ANNIHILATED by any means. When I think of annihilated I think being taken off the ice.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Dude, the commentator was clueless. It wasn't a too many men penalty at all, it was a hooking call as we seen during the video.

I thought that hit was great, especially since it's on Downie. :)

Actually, it was too many men. Kostitsyn jumped over the boards well before the player coming off the ice. That was the only call on the play (not counting Kindl going after Kostitsyn immediately afterwards).

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Lime, you kill me. Sergei jumped on the ice too early and was in a good position to make the hit. Don't act like it was a fabulous open ice hit where Billy lined him up and took a run at him. Having said that, it WAS a hard hit. No question.

I do like how the rest of the team jumped to Downie's defense -- it's the thing I like most about the Rangers and a Deboer team.

Is Kindl normally that nasty? Or did he feel bad for setting Downie up like that and then went to stick up for him?

It's nice to see him develop a mean streak along with putting up points. Detroit should be really happy.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
Is Kindl normally that nasty? Or did he feel bad for setting Downie up like that and then went to stick up for him?

It's nice to see him develop a mean streak along with putting up points. Detroit should be really happy.

He's been showing more of a mean streak as time has gone along. He's definitely using his body more than he did in the past.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

:: wonders how many mindless idiots will attack me for a sarcastic post made in jest ::
He was worried about getting cross checked in the face if he didn't do anything. :sarcasm:

Bluesman

Aug 3, 2005
He wasn't annihaleted, but he also didn't bounce up like nothing happened as the Flyer fan tries to make it sound.

A good, clean hit. Nothing more, nothing less.

CharlieGirl

Thank you Mr. Snider
Jun 24, 2003
Kitchener, ON
Visit site
He wasn't annihaleted, but he also didn't bounce up like nothing happened as the Flyer fan tries to make it sound.

A good, clean hit. Nothing more, nothing less.

Actually, she's a Kitchener fan as well. :)

The only reason he missed a shift is that he had to have his visor fixed before he could go back on the ice.

Oh, and Jon? I'm not taking that bait... just wait until he's in orange and black -- you're gonna hate him!

Roger's Pancreas*

Actually, she's a Kitchener fan as well. :)

The only reason he missed a shift is that he had to have his visor fixed before he could go back on the ice.

Oh, and Jon? I'm not taking that bait... just wait until he's in orange and black -- you're gonna hate him!
gonna? He already hates Downie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->