Steve Bernier

Status
Not open for further replies.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
This thread is not simply inspired by Bernier's great goal scored today vs. the Blues.

He has played extremely well, and at the very least, he will be a legit NHLer, if not an elite powerforward. He definitely does not look like the bust so many have labeled him to be; he has at the very least justified his draft position. Just last year, many stat-lovers were labeling him a bust because of his declining numbers in the QMJHL, even though posters like Marty Mcinnis and X-Sharkie were praising his improvements in other areas of his game. It is a good way to show that stats are not everything.

Thresher

Jun 30, 2004
HECK
superroyain10 said:
X-Sharkie were praising his improvements in other areas of his game. It is a good way to show that stats are not everything.

on a slight tangent for this topic, X-Sharkie has brilliant hockey sense, dedication & determination

if he doesn't hit the NHL on the ice - I certainly hope he makes it the behind the scenes, pulling the strings ~ (for the Sharks, that is)

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
I loved the kid from draft-day on...

I remember the TSN-guys talking about his horrible fitness-test... But after picking on him they also said the following:

"On a positive note: If a guy can score 101 points in the QMJHL in a terrible shape, what can he do once his fitness-level is on par?"

I think the Sharks should be really lucky that Bernier´s stock dropped because of that poor test...

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
superroyain10 said:
This thread is not simply inspired by Bernier's great goal scored today vs. the Blues.

He has played extremely well, and at the very least, he will be a legit NHLer, if not an elite powerforward. He definitely does not look like the bust so many have labeled him to be; he has at the very least justified his draft position. Just last year, many stat-lovers were labeling him a bust because of his declining numbers in the QMJHL, even though posters like Marty Mcinnis and X-Sharkie were praising his improvements in other areas of his game. It is a good way to show that stats are not everything.

He had a defensive coach...where as other guys were let to run wild (Pouliot and Roussin).

If you asked 100 Q fans who theyd rather have on their fav NHL team id have to guess 75 would say Bernier.

Numbers can be decieving.

Baisleyens

Sep 12, 2005
I think it's great for him the Kid. He has good physical attributes would make for him to be a good power forward in the NHL.

on a side note: Him along with Marleau and Michalek must one of the biggest line in the nhl now.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
Well-let them all eat crow now! Those who were around this board prior to the 2003 draft know that I championed Bernier hoping my Blackhawks would take him --instead they went for a D-man, Seabrook (also a great pick as it turned out)--while I really liked Seabrook then (and now) --I wanted a strategy that would give the Hawks legitimate top six forwards for years to come first--we could fill D-needs with experienced UFA D-men as the other part of an improvement strategy...then once we had taken Seabrook in'03,I wanted Alexander Radulov in'04-but again the Hawks went D-man in Cam Barker...then finally in '05 they went forward in Skille (who I did not want) ...so IF instead they had listened to me we would have had 2
top six forwards next year (Bernier +RADULOV --who will be such with NASH) --but we would have required more "Vet" D-men along the way--perhaps also they would have kept Kukkonen (they are bringing him back anyway next year) and added Malmivaara(who they probably won't sign now despite his very good development with Saipa these last couple of years...in the '05 draft they then COULD have chose a D-man (Mark Staal or Luc Burdon instead of Skille)...so I ask which turned out to be the better STRATEGY?

THE HAWKS --yes we'll have Seabrook and Barker both on the D next season+Skille in the incubator as a soph at Wisconsin...OR we could have had:

Bernier +Radulov in the top six forwards + either Mark Staal or Luc Burdon on our D next year...

In other words --next year we have only 2 starters from the last 3 draft first rounders--we could have had 3...
AND STRUCTUALLY next season we have ZERO top six forwards from the 1st rounds of the last 3 drafts albeit we have 2 top six D-men to what would have been just 1 top six D-man garnered from round one of the last 3 drafts...

Now if the Hawks Killer B Jrs (Bolland Bickell Blunden Brouwer) all are sent for development to Norfolk next year--that will still mean ZERO forwards from any of the last 3 drafts cracking the lineup next season (unless they bring Petri Kontiola over from Finland)...so in my opinion we are WAY BEHIND THE 8-ball to where we could have been UP FRONT--so we will need to rely on UFA's or trades or any of our current forwards on the big squad roster stepping it up next season...

WE may therefore be only 1 D-man better on defense (since Mark Staal or Luc Burdon probably are equal value to Seabrook ) had we gomne the other way in strategy...and so I don't think Barker alone will turn us into a playoff team next season..but donig it the other way could have improved our offense next season...

HOWEVER--it is what it is...(even going back to 2000 I wanted FROLOV--instead Yakubov is already gonzo--and Vorobiev is in back in Norfolk and you just wonder if Yawney doesn't have him in next year's plans)...

Anyway--this is a long detour from the topic at hand: STEVE BERNIER...I really thought he would be a very good NHL player--and now it is showing to be true...
All those doubters can now eat crow...

Matrix

Dec 16, 2005
Montreal
hawksfan50 said:
) Anyway--this is a long detour from the topic at hand: STEVE BERNIER...I really thought he would be a very good NHL player--and now it is showing to be true...

I was one of those doubters, so I'll take my crow with vinegar please... :D

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Personally, I'm just glad to see Bernier and Nilsson do well to shut Pierre McGuire's know it all rant about how stupid the Isles and Sharks were to pass on Parise. It was irritating at the time of the draft and has become increasingly so since. Of course, I haven't heard McGuire mention this in a quite a while, as Bernier and Nilsson looks as good or better than Parise at this point (aside from the fact they are both younger).

X-SHARKIE

Thresher said:
on a slight tangent for this topic, X-Sharkie has brilliant hockey sense, dedication & determination

if he doesn't hit the NHL on the ice - I certainly hope he makes it the behind the scenes, pulling the strings ~ (for the Sharks, that is)

Thanks for such nice comments. WILDGM was the most sky high on him. The thing about Bernier is that I knew in his prime he would be a fantastic player, because watching him in the Q and at international competition he scored pro like goals, and made pro plays. He showed me a style of play that would translate well to the NHL. He still can lift you out of your seat with a goal like he did against St.Louis but he will also do all the little things it takes to be a premiere player in the NHL and score consistantly in all styles of play. Bernier can finesse it or he can power it. He's versitale and a dangerous offensive threat in all situations.

I believe that when Bernier is a seasoned vet around 26-28 years old he'll be one of the elite power forwards in the NHL. He has quick hands that allow him to make some sweet moves and score in close with the best of them. His shot is quickly released and he knows where to put it, he is great at finding rebounds, great at scoring when alone with the goalie, and doesn't give a goaltender a chance to set with his release, although he doesn't have the power to score alot from the outside. His puck protection and ability to stay on his feet seperates him from the others, he is near impossible to move or stop because of his lower and upper body strength, plus his base is extremely stable. He is also a superb playmaker, he puts enough touch or power behind a pass and has the ability to see the ice in ways that most don't. That aspect of his game is really coming on as he already made several beuty plays in San Jose this season.

His skating improved ten fold since his draft year, it's a non issue at this point and with his dedication in the summer it will probally turn out to be a strength of his when it's all said and done.

Bernier is also very smart, he has great anticipation and a feal for the game, especially the offensive side of things. He knows where to be and where loose pucks go, something that will show more and more as his game grows (like Cheechoo) He also just has those rare and undeniable pure offensive instincts that you can't coach.

The most exciting thing? Is that he hasn't even tapped into all that potential he has and I can see him scoring anywhere from 70-90 pointsin the NHL some day and should be an all star for the Sharks.

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
hawksfan50 said:
Well-let them all eat crow now! Those who were around this board prior to the 2003 draft know that I championed Bernier hoping my Blackhawks would take him --instead they went for a D-man, Seabrook (also a great pick as it turned out)--while I really liked Seabrook then (and now) --I wanted a strategy that would give the Hawks legitimate top six forwards for years to come first--we could fill D-needs with experienced UFA D-men as the other part of an improvement strategy...then once we had taken Seabrook in'03,I wanted Alexander Radulov in'04-but again the Hawks went D-man in Cam Barker...then finally in '05 they went forward in Skille (who I did not want) ...so IF instead they had listened to me we would have had 2
top six forwards next year (Bernier +RADULOV --who will be such with NASH) --but we would have required more "Vet" D-men along the way--perhaps also they would have kept Kukkonen (they are bringing him back anyway next year) and added Malmivaara(who they probably won't sign now despite his very good development with Saipa these last couple of years...in the '05 draft they then COULD have chose a D-man (Mark Staal or Luc Burdon instead of Skille)...so I ask which turned out to be the better STRATEGY?

THE HAWKS --yes we'll have Seabrook and Barker both on the D next season+Skille in the incubator as a soph at Wisconsin...OR we could have had:

Bernier +Radulov in the top six forwards + either Mark Staal or Luc Burdon on our D next year...

In other words --next year we have only 2 starters from the last 3 draft first rounders--we could have had 3...
AND STRUCTUALLY next season we have ZERO top six forwards from the 1st rounds of the last 3 drafts albeit we have 2 top six D-men to what would have been just 1 top six D-man garnered from round one of the last 3 drafts...

Now if the Hawks Killer B Jrs (Bolland Bickell Blunden Brouwer) all are sent for development to Norfolk next year--that will still mean ZERO forwards from any of the last 3 drafts cracking the lineup next season (unless they bring Petri Kontiola over from Finland)...so in my opinion we are WAY BEHIND THE 8-ball to where we could have been UP FRONT--so we will need to rely on UFA's or trades or any of our current forwards on the big squad roster stepping it up next season...

WE may therefore be only 1 D-man better on defense (since Mark Staal or Luc Burdon probably are equal value to Seabrook ) had we gomne the other way in strategy...and so I don't think Barker alone will turn us into a playoff team next season..but donig it the other way could have improved our offense next season...

HOWEVER--it is what it is...(even going back to 2000 I wanted FROLOV--instead Yakubov is already gonzo--and Vorobiev is in back in Norfolk and you just wonder if Yawney doesn't have him in next year's plans)...

Anyway--this is a long detour from the topic at hand: STEVE BERNIER...I really thought he would be a very good NHL player--and now it is showing to be true...

Man, get over yourself.

PEli*

LaLaLaprise said:
He had a defensive coach...where as other guys were let to run wild (Pouliot and Roussin).

If you asked 100 Q fans who theyd rather have on their fav NHL team id have to guess 75 would say Bernier.

Numbers can be decieving.

Agreed. I'm not a very Bernier fan and I was never very high on him. I wouldn't have called him a bust but I certainly didn't think he'd be having the success he's had of late. LaLa is right, as usual. When you're playing under a coach who preaches a sound defensive game, your personal stats will suffer. Lucky for NHL teams, scouts aren't as statistically inclined as your average HFer.

catgoldfish

Nov 15, 2004
British Columbia
Wasn't this the guy who the Leafs gave as part of the Owen Nolan deal?

Ist rounder in 2004 plus Boyes and Mccauley. That's gotta hurt ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shattered

Jul 30, 2005
If memory serves me correctly, I believe the pick form Toronto was in the low 20's, and the Sharks traded up to grab Bernier.

That was all the fuss back then...the pundits were questioning why the Sharks didn't draft Parise.

Michalek, Bernier and Carle...not bad for Doug Wilson's first draft.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Shattered said:
If memory serves me correctly, I believe the pick form Toronto was in the low 20's, and the Sharks traded up to grab Bernier.

That was all the fuss back then...the pundits were questioning why the Sharks didn't draft Parise.

Michalek, Bernier and Carle...not bad for Doug Wilson's first draft.

I guess the Sharks figured they had the depth to make a risky pick.

And do not forget Hennessey, Pavelski, Ehelechner, and maybe even O'Hanley...

Vincent_TheGreat

Feb 27, 2002
Ontario
Visit site
Thats because people label busts way before players have a chance to prove themselves. Can you says stupidity! It flies around here! The thing was conditioning with Bernier, never a talent issue, and he's still so young, people just don't let things play out. They are always so eager to label somebody a bust if he doesn't come out and shine like Crosby or Ovechkin right away! Well I'm sorry but people have to stop expecting super performances like Crosby and Ovechkin, they are the exceptions and extremely rare!

X-SHARKIE

Vincent_TheGreat said:
Thats because people label busts way before players have a chance to prove themselves. Can you says stupidity! It flies around here! The thing was conditioning with Bernier, never a talent issue, and he's still so young, people just don't let things play out. They are always so eager to label somebody a bust if he doesn't come out and shine like Crosby or Ovechkin right away! Well I'm sorry but people have to stop expecting super performances like Crosby and Ovechkin, they are the exceptions and extremely rare!

Great post, rare players like Ovechkin, Crosby, Phaneuf and roookie sensations like Prucha and Svatos have put unrealistic expectations on rookies all around the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad