Steve Bernier vs Hugh Hessimen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Both have their faults. I'd take Jessiman, because I'm down on Bernier's conditioning.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
I watched every sportsnet CHL game they put on the air. There was no Moncton games. Prospect games hardly tell you anything in a players game. QMJHL prospects get the hard end of the stick far too much from the rest of Canada. They are soft, they are lazy, they are drugies....I'm sick of it.

ttnorm

Feb 21, 2003
Connecticut
Visit site
Jessiman is not a power forward. He plays a finese game except for the big reach and the chippy stuff. The drive to the net muscle is not there, at least not yet. The hands and skating are his strengths.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
ttnorm said:
Jessiman is not a power forward. He plays a finese game except for the big reach and the chippy stuff. The drive to the net muscle is not there, at least not yet. The hands and skating are his strengths.
Exactly, Jessiman has scary offensive skills at such size, thats what made him so likeable in the draft. He will have to learn defense and how to use his size better but still and excellent project.

HockeyBurd*

I'd have to say Hugh Jessiman only because of his skating ability and his soft hands. Physically he's a monster. If he ever developes into a true power forward his skills will put him over the top. Jessiman's upside is much greater.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
JasonMacIsaac said:
You would know because? In Vancouver you see 0 QMJHL games.

The guy makes a statement that is widely known and talked about, yet you take offense and start ripping the guy.

Bernier's conditioning and work-ethic has always been talked about as his major flaw. It's something widely known, he doesn't have to see the QMJHL to know that.

JasonMacIsaac said:
QMJHL prospects get the hard end of the stick far too much from the rest of Canada. They are soft, they are lazy, they are drugies....I'm sick of it.

Where did he say anything about all QMJHL players being lazy, soft, druggies, etc? He mentioned one thing that is widely known about ONE player and you then go off saying the league gets no respect. This has nothing to do with the league. Bottom line is Bernier IS lazy and has a poor work-ethic, and that's the bottom line. If you want to take out your frustations, do it somewhere else.

Bernier has a lot of talent but this guy needs to start hanging out with Gary Roberts to find out what conditioning is really like. Hugh has worked hard all last summer and this season and he's doing what he can in order to make a smoother transition to the NHL. Both are similar players, but IMO Jessiman has the higher upside.

Strizzi

Aug 8, 2002
Visit site
Draft Guru said:
Bottom line is Bernier IS lazy and has a poor work-ethic, and that's the bottom line.
The funny thing is that while I've never seen him play, what one hears is that Bernier has really improved in that department.

Sammy*

Strizzi said:
The funny thing is that while I've never seen him play, what one hears is that Bernier has really improved in that department.
Exactly. These guys who claim they see someone play & arent even bright enough to back it up with something that cant be disputed are laughable.
Then you have others who spout off about alleged facts when the more recent reports on players are quite the contrary.

Sammy*

monster_bertuzzi said:
Actually Sportsnet plays the occasional CHL game here, and not just the WHL. .
Nice try there buddy. Try not makin things up next time.
You'd look good sittin on a captains shoulder

Sammy*

Rabid Ranger said:
Steve, is that you?
No Hugh its not, but you kinda got agree when a guy says he's seen Bernier on Sportsnet for Moncton when they have never been on, his credibility is kinda shot, dont ya think?

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Draft Guru said:
The guy makes a statement that is widely known and talked about, yet you take offense and start ripping the guy.

Bernier's conditioning and work-ethic has always been talked about as his major flaw. It's something widely known, he doesn't have to see the QMJHL to know that.

Where did he say anything about all QMJHL players being lazy, soft, druggies, etc? He mentioned one thing that is widely known about ONE player and you then go off saying the league gets no respect. This has nothing to do with the league. Bottom line is Bernier IS lazy and has a poor work-ethic, and that's the bottom line. If you want to take out your frustations, do it somewhere else.

Bernier has a lot of talent but this guy needs to start hanging out with Gary Roberts to find out what conditioning is really like. Hugh has worked hard all last summer and this season and he's doing what he can in order to make a smoother transition to the NHL. Both are similar players, but IMO Jessiman has the higher upside.
I still remember you from years back and you will never have credibility in my eyes. I remember you getting made fun of because of your name because it is obvious you seen maybe one of two games with eligible draft prospects and read the rest. If you were a bit informed you would know the guy has lost 10 pound from the draft going into San Jose training camp. He has actually put a good effort to get in shape. Considering your location I am sure as hell you don't see Bernier near as much as us who have a local QMJHL team.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Sammy said:
No Hugh its not, but you kinda got agree when a guy says he's seen Bernier on Sportsnet for Moncton when they have never been on, his credibility is kinda shot, dont ya think?

Definitly.

I don't like liars.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Draft Guru said:
Bernier's conditioning and work-ethic has always been talked about as his major flaw. It's something widely known,

It isn't something that has "always been known". It became widely known when reports surfaced, very close to the actual draft. Before that, there was very little buzz on his conditioning, if any.

I'll grant you that sometimes, Bernier looks a little "out". Before the reports, I attributes this to a poor vision of the whole ice and some work ethic problem/inconsistent efforts. Conditioning may have affected him also. Still, he ended up having a nice enough season and many of his performances were actually strong.

This year, I couldn't watch juniors much so I have not much to add. Friends I know and consider trustworthy have told me he has improved his play, but not as much as what I hear from Sharkie X or other clowns.

His conditioning problems were overblown when he was drafted. He looked already like a promising player back then.

Now, by all means, if the Jessiman kid is equal or superior in talent, I'd take him over a guy who has some question marks. But I just don't think Bernier's problem will be conditioning. His inconsistent play, and the fact he sometimes doesn't understand the whole play (as opposed to HIS play) will be hindering him much more.

Draft Guru said:
he doesn't have to see the QMJHL to know that.

He shouldn't pretend he does either.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
The reports on Bernier's condition come mostly from the combine, where he apparently showed up in horrible shape (similar to Will Poole during the last NFL draft combine). Somehow that has grown into a mythical "poor conditioning" rumour as if he's Andrei Medvedev or something.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
Vlad The Impaler said:
This year, I couldn't watch juniors much so I have not much to add. Friends I know and consider trustworthy have told me he has improved his play, but not as much as what I hear from Sharkie X or other clowns.

Didn't your mother ever teach you manners?

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Captain Conservative said:
Didn't your mother ever teach you manners?

Yes. But I have a low tolerance for frauds, liars, cretins and other kinds of nuisances who generally dilute the quality of information around here.

Sue me.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
monster_bertuzzi said:
Jessiman. Bernier's one of the laziest SOB's in all of the QMJHL.
LOL what in iggnorant comment.

People think because he was 233 he was lazy. Well he is down to 220 now so i guess hes a work aholic.

The guy is far from lazy. You'd know that if you actually seen him play a LEAGUE GAME.

All-star games dont count.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad