Steroids use and regulation

Discussion in 'The Business of Hockey' started by Frenzy31, Mar 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frenzy31

Frenzy31 Registered User

I am getting tired of reading both Pro Pa and Pro Owner stuff. It seems like more rehash now then anything.

Living in the US, Roid use has become a big topic of discussion, even the idiots in WDC are involved - nothing like wasting my tax dollar for their air time.

1 in 16 High school students living in the US are using or have tried Steroids. Do others think it is being used as much in other nations and particularly in hockey? Are there regulations and testing at the international Jr and pro levels?

Should Roids be allowed in hockey?

Like I said, just a different topic for discussion.

2. nyrmessier011

nyrmessier011 Registered User

Why not allow it if it makes the game more exciting. It made baseball more exciting. Keeping steroids in sports only benifits everyone financially. With the work stoppage, hockey can't afford to produce less of a product by testing for roids.

3. Reaper45

Reaper45 Registered User

Allowing roids would only make our sport more of a blacksheep than what it already is. Definately a bad idea.

4. animalchin

animalchin Registered User

allowing steroids promotes their use among young people - and that is wrong.

"steroids are bad, don't do them because they just give you false hope....I am not here to talk about the past"

5. me2

me2 Calling out the crap

They should bring in the olympic testing regime. Multiple random drug test, every player, every year.

6. Steve L*

Steve L* Registered User

Home Page:
    Anyone caught using them should face a 2 year ban for the 1st offence and a life ban for the second offence.

For some reason, steroid abuse seems to be accepted in many American sports including the Olympic athletes, its as is they want to sweep it under the carpet rather than tackle the problem.

Steroid users are cheats, end of story.

No doubt the NHLPA would be against random testing because it could put their players in a bad light. :speechles

7. Epsilon

Epsilon #TeamHolland

I couldn't care less about steroids myself. I've got a lot more important things to worry about than what chemicals people stupidly inject into their own bodies. Given that I've used marijuana in the past and have no problems with others using it although I don't myself, I am certainly not going to judge or condemn someone on what illegal substances they want to consume, unless it leads to danger or injury for others.

The illegality of steroids mean they are an issue for law enforcement. Sports leagues should stay out of it and let the authorities deal with the issue, like they are doing with BALCO.

8. Tb0ne

Tb0ne Registered User

Artist
    Are Steroids even popular in hockey?

At least according to what I have read steroids negatively effect an athletes' wind, that's why you will never see marathon runners on steroids, only sprinters and other strength athletes.

If it is a problem, they might want to try and stop it but even then, cheaters will always find a way. That's their nature.

9. X0ssbar

X0ssbar Guest

No 'roids period. The root of professional sports are meant for athletes with the best natural talent - not artificial.

I don't care what it takes, but the NHL should implement whatever steps are neccesary to prevent steroid use in hockey. They could actually get some positive pub in the U.S. if stringent measures are put in place under a new CBA - this could be a good step towards rebuilding the NHL brand.

10. Hasbro

Hasbro Can He Skate?! Sponsor

Drone
    The only one I've ever heard of was Jon Kordic and he was a goon.

I was worried when everyone was on the power forward kick during the Lindros era that roids would come around.

I'm surprised speculation didn't pick up after the Bertuzzi incedent. YOu know how the press likes to slam hockey and loves the "purity of baseball"

11. Chelios

Chelios Registered User

Home Page:
    Is there even any type of regulation of steroids or any other supplements in the NHL? I`m not 100% sure, but I don`t think there is. I think the reason is that steroids simply would not have the benefit for hockey players as it would for say baseball or football players. Most steroids negatively affect a person`s coordination and fine motor ability which would have extremely negative effects for hockey players. I really don`t see steroids being a big problem for the NHL because it is not just about brute strength. The most effective supplement for hockey players would probably be creatine, and that will never be banned.

12. bling

bling Registered User

I too was very surprised a few media types did not take one look a Todd Bertuzzi's neanderthal visage and immediately say, "Steroid user". His physical appearance as well as his brooding twisted behaviour are classic "roid" symptoms.

13. Frenzy31

Frenzy31 Registered User

14. Reaper45

Reaper45 Registered User

There was a rumor in L.A. that steriods were the reason behind Kip Brennan's trade to Atlanta, that he was juicing big time and Kings management didn't want to deal with it. It really only makes sense for enforcers to take it. And as far as Bertuzzi goes, he looks like a prime canidate with his violent mood swings.

15. Silver

Silver Registered User

Home Page:

16. Epsilon

Epsilon #TeamHolland

EPO is the big drug in cycling, not anabolic steroids.

17. kmad

kmad riot survivor

Bertuzzi was 6'3 185 when he was 13 years old

18. bling

bling Registered User

What does that prove or disprove and why is that at all relevant?

19. me2

me2 Calling out the crap

Mostly true in distance cycling (lance armstrong steroids question marks aside). In sprinting cycling its a different matter.

20. me2

me2 Calling out the crap

His point Bertuzzi was a big unit as a child. Was Bertuzzi sucking on steroids at 13? Unlikely. I think that is his point, just because Bertuzzi is big doesn't mean he's automatically on steroids as was being hinted originally.

Suggesting particular players are on steroids is not helpful. People should refrain from randomly pulling playes names out of hats, unless there is some reasonable evidence (being a hot head is sufficient).

21. bling

bling Registered User

Betuzzi having been a large child has no bearing in my suspicion of steroid use. It is his neanderthal look and his emotionally charged behaviour along with reported surliness and hair trigger temper that points toward possible steroid use. I think I made that clear in my first post.

22. SedinFan*

SedinFan* Guest

Disagree completely. No to 'roids. Cheating is illegal, makes for a botched game, botched records etc...black eye for the game.

23. Hasbro

Hasbro Can He Skate?! Sponsor

Drone
    I wasn't accusing Bert of using roids. I think hockey dodged a bullet, because a power player snapping while there is a steriod scandal going on in another sport and an already contntious media. I'm surprised no one engaged in open speculation that Bert was a juicer.

24. me2

me2 Calling out the crap

Neanderthal look? Take that up with his parents. Do you have any evidence? Any physical evidence (caught with vials, failed drugs tests)? Any hear say evidence (conversations with other people)?

Is every firey player in the NHL on steroids? Was Domi on steroids when he hit Neidermayer? Was Neidermayer on steroids when he hit Worrell? Was Fluery on steroids his entire career? Gordie "elbows" Howe - well he was big and prone to surliness and revenge? Was Rocket Richard on steroids?

Before you go around insinuating anyone who is big and grumpy is on steroids you might want some actual evidence.

25. bling

bling Registered User

Ha ha..I guess I read too literally here.

Now your criterion for speculation is personally witnessing Bert shooting up. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.