Rattrick

Oct 31, 2002
Orlando, FL
www.rattrick.com
BlackJack21 said:
you mean the oposite right?

sedin as 2-way?

bj21

Probably not. Weiss has always been a great two way player and that is what he was touted for entering the 2001 draft, hence the comparisons (rather warranted or not) to Sakic and Yzerman (and the nickname Weisserman).

BlackJack21

Nov 6, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
luongofan said:
Probably not. Weiss has always been a great two way player and that is what he was touted for entering the 2001 draft, hence the comparisons (rather warranted or not) to Sakic and Yzerman (and the nickname Weisserman).

I knwew about the Yzerman comparaison but if you look at their games in NHL since they are in, Hendrick is a prouven all around contributor. (mostly defensively IMO)

Weiss is a fantastic scorer and playmaker with evident defensive lack. (He is still young I know)

IMO, you can say that Weiss is a future good 2-way player, but not that you will take him over Sedin for this reason...

BTW I would take Weiss any day.

BJ21

DJ Spinoza

Aug 7, 2003
Weiss, but it's not a totally easy choice as Nateo said earlier. It's relatively easy, but Sedin isn't that far behind. At this point, at least,

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
yup.. as sedins fan.. i would take weiss over henrick.. however.. both sedins worth a lot more than when they are individually valued.. i mean i will take both sedins over any pair of players similar to weiss.. hoped that made sense..

Bandwagoner

Nov 18, 2003
Canada
Visit site
ahmon said:
yup.. as sedins fan.. i would take weiss over henrick.. however.. both sedins worth a lot more than when they are individually valued.. i mean i will take both sedins over any pair of players similar to weiss.. hoped that made sense..

Yeah I agree with you too, but then again, in the same circumstances as you put, I'd rather take Weiss and Horton over both Sedins. Probably even Weiss and Stewart.

rinkrat13

Nov 27, 2003
Toronto
Henrik.

Sedin is extremely well rounded and more suited to the physical game than Weiss. Has strong defensive tendencies and playmaking ability.

Weiss is more of pure goal scorer & must get stronger and learn how to fend off the tight checking of the pro game. Needs to add bulk to his 5-11 frame in order to thrive at the NHL level.

I agree that Henrik is the safer bet and that Weiss will either be a 80-85 point scorer or a flop... on the other hand Sedin will be (tops) a 70-75 point scorer and if that doesn't apn out he can always play a sound defensive (twp-way) game.

Its tight though, it all depends what you're looking for in a player, I guess.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I'm a Canucks fan, so you can call me biased, but I'd take Hank. He's a very, very solid two-way player. I don't think he's ever hurt his team. He performs well in the playoffs, and he and his brother are tougher than given credit for. They frustrate other teams all the time with their board game. And recently, they've added offensive flash and creativity to the mix, and they've been absolutely fantastic.

Henrik's well suited to the physical game, is durable, and has sick hockey sense. I'd take him over Weiss, who is nothing to sneeze at either.

~Canucklehead~

Rattrick

Oct 31, 2002
Orlando, FL
www.rattrick.com
BlackJack21 said:
Weiss is a fantastic scorer and playmaker with evident defensive lack. (He is still young I know)

I disagree. I have seen him countless times this year and his defensive game is really good. His numbers may not show it, but that is just a result of overall poor defense in Florida.

Rattrick

Oct 31, 2002
Orlando, FL
www.rattrick.com
rinkrat13 said:
Needs to add bulk to his 5-11 frame in order to thrive at the NHL level.

Hey, why don't you try analyzing on your own instead of copying from his player profile on tsn.ca?? Word for word exactly what it says on tsn.ca. Isn't that illegal? :joker:

rinkrat13

Nov 27, 2003
Toronto

Free Edler

Enjoy retirement, boys.
Feb 27, 2002
Surrey, BC
I've watched Hank develop for four seasons now, and he's getting better every year. However I think Weiss has the potential to be a better overall player.

BlackJack21

Nov 6, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
luongofan said:
I disagree. I have seen him countless times this year and his defensive game is really good. His numbers may not show it, but that is just a result of overall poor defense in Florida.

Yes he can do a good job some time like Bondra is able too, but he's catch out of position so many time.

Lack off defensive is rarely a mather of skills, it's mostly a mather of will.

And it may change in a near future, but for now, nobody will make me think he's aware defensively.

BJ21

CoolburnIsGone

puck bunny said:
weiss as a two way player...Keenan sent Weiss down last year because of his lack of defense.
Um, you couldn't be further from the truth if you tried. Keenan wanted to send him down (he was never sent down last yr but started this yr in the AHL) because he wasn't a Keenan-type of player that would go out and lay down huge hits. Weiss did spend time this offseason working on his leg strength which was evident last yr that he needed to bulk up a little more. But its evident that he's a 2-way player when he's playing a lot of PP & PK time, blocks shots on defense and scores a lot of goals from in front of the net. Funny how Keenan didn't like Weiss and how Keenan is no longer with FL, huh?

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
RichPanther said:
Um, you couldn't be further from the truth if you tried. Keenan wanted to send him down (he was never sent down last yr but started this yr in the AHL) because he wasn't a Keenan-type of player that would go out and lay down huge hits. Weiss did spend time this offseason working on his leg strength which was evident last yr that he needed to bulk up a little more. But its evident that he's a 2-way player when he's playing a lot of PP & PK time, blocks shots on defense and scores a lot of goals from in front of the net. Funny how Keenan didn't like Weiss and how Keenan is no longer with FL, huh?

Keenan didn't like a lot of players. I wouldn't put his removal down as losing the Keenan v Weiss.

JamieG

May 25, 2003
Visit site
Keenan was right about Weiss

I'm surprised to see so much support for Weiss in here. I think Keenan was right about Stephen Weiss. I'm not impressed. His defensive play has improved some, but it's still not great, but the biggest thing is that he's soft. He's okay when he has time with the puck, such as if he gets to set up on the power play, but he's useless when it comes to fighting for the puck, boardwork or playing in traffic.

When he was drafted people said he would be like Yzerman. Uh, big no. I think he's headed down the path to having the same type of career as Tim Connolly (another guy who was compared to Yzerman by the way). I think the best possible scenario for Weiss is to eventually be a Daniel Briere or Marc Savard type player, produce some but will never be regarded as a keeper or a true star player.

Clint

Jul 14, 2003
JamieG said:
He's useless when it comes to fighting for the puck, boardwork or playing in traffic.

When he was drafted people said he would be like Yzerman. Uh, big no.QUOTE]

I wouldn't say useless, as he is pretty competent down low in the zone and the corners; he's one of the only forwards we have that does that on a consistant basis. He doesn't throw his body around, but he does his job for a young center.

P.S. I never liked the Yzerman comparisons either, it's just not fair for an 18 year old to hear about himself (I know he's not 18 years old anymore, obviously). Honestly, I don't think he has the offensive upside, or the strength of character to be a guy as classy an Yzerman or a Sakic.

Rattrick

Oct 31, 2002
Orlando, FL
www.rattrick.com
Clint said:
Honestly, I don't think he has the offensive upside, or the strength of character to be a guy as classy an Yzerman or a Sakic.

That's what I have always thought. I don't see him putting up the numbers that Sakic/Yzerman have in their careers, but I do see him being the leader and character of the team. I think he will turn out to be one of the better defensive forwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->