Step Back, Take a Deep Breath, and Look at the PA's Offer

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
right.

that's why the pirates are one of the most profitable teams in the league, mostly as a result of taking those revenue sharing checks, yet they have now posted 20 consecutive losing seasons. looks like they really put that money to good use.

or how about the marlins trading away every player who was scheduled to make more than $1.6 million dollars in 2013. i guess the marlins believe that making your team better is to trade away all your players who happen to make the most money in return for scraps.
Umm, just to chime in, like was previously stated, that's a Loria issue, not an MLB issue.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Really wish all the teams that shouldnt exist were contracted. How Phoenix is still around is incredible. They cant get people to go to games unless they charge next to nothing.

Not enough fans and not enough fans willing to pay enough for it to make sense to have a team in Phoenix. Really wish Bettman would realize that.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
But again, the issue is not on-ice competition but the fight for revenue. The Kings are not exactly the Yotes or the Preds or the Panthers we're talking about here. They're located in the 2nd most populous city in the US, so while they were 8th in the conference it wasn't because of their market. In fact, they were able to pick up the Carter and Richards megacontracts without a problem, something small market teams would not have been able to do.

Whenever they end up reaching an agreement on a new CBA, it will be the owners (with help from the player agents) who find all the loopholes that they can use to get around any rules designed to stop them from losing money on stupid contractual decisions. Just like they did last time.

That seems to be what ownership is looking for in terms of "fixes" - a system so locked-down that they can't possibly make bad decisions. It won't work, and the smart owners know it - they're just using the contractual issues as a lever to increase the owners' share of the revenue pie.
No not every team can be a cap limit team every year and that's OK. Small market teams will have to follow the best blue print there is , Nashville. They draft well and save their money and when they think they have a team on the brink of challenging for a Cup they spend. I live in Winnipeg and have no problem with the Jets following this blue print (which Chipman has said he would do). What has happened is because of the system that has been put in place drafting is now the most important factor in developing any team (Holland has said as much). The Kings and Rangers are good examples of this. Built their teams through the draft and then suplemented through free agency. Players will ultimately go where they feel they can win especially if the owners take away flexibility in contracts (Hossa). Even if they do find loopholes I don't mind much because it has been proven over and over again that signing free agents doesn't gaurentee a winner (right Buffalo?).

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
Really wish all the teams that shouldnt exist were contracted. How Phoenix is still around is incredible. They cant get people to go to games unless they charge next to nothing.

Not enough fans and not enough fans willing to pay enough for it to make sense to have a team in Phoenix. Really wish Bettman would realize that.

Contracting Anaheim, Phoenix, Carolina and Florida would do wonders for the league.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012

Or the city of Glendale who just approved more money to support the team.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Contracting Anaheim, Phoenix, Carolina and Florida would do wonders for the league.

If they are serious about keeping the cap floor 16 mil under the cap, this would happen; revenues would rise -> cap would rise as would the floor. Now we just have other teams struggling. And players making more money.

They'd need to get rid of the floor or lower it significantly. Which would sort of defeat the purpose of the whole cap.

'Bad market' teams are good in a sense because they keep players salaries at bay to a certain extent.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
If they are serious about keeping the cap floor 16 mil under the cap, this would happen; revenues would rise -> cap would rise as would the floor. Now we just have other teams struggling. And players making more money.

They'd need to get rid of the floor or lower it significantly. Which would sort of defeat the purpose of the whole cap.

'Bad market' teams are good in a sense because they keep players salaries at bay to a certain extent.

The floor should be relative, then it works better. It was 41% at first season after the lockout (23/39mil), now the 16 million gap is relatively only 23% of the 70 million cap.

Let's say, the floor should be 30% of the cap, then it would rise less than the cap and it would nothing but a good and fair system for the teams.

But the greedy players want this 16 million locked gap between cap and floor, because in that system they can get more money. They have kind of an attitude that teams financial problems is not players problem. But their greediness causes the problem.

TS Quint

I can see!
Sep 8, 2012
The floor should be relative, then it works better. It was 41% at first season after the lockout (23/39mil), now the 16 million gap is relatively only 23% of the 70 million cap.

Let's say, the floor should be 30% of the cap, then it would rise less than the cap and it would nothing but a good and fair system for the teams.

But the greedy players want this 16 million locked gap between cap and floor, because in that system they can get more money. They have kind of an attitude that teams financial problems is not players problem. But their greediness causes the problem.

I've never heard of the players speaking about the floor (not saying they haven't). Originally the floor was an owner idea. The owners who were sharing the money didn't want the recieving owners to just pocket the money. They wanted to be sure that that money was spent on players. The problem with the sharing system they have is that it isn't tied to anything it was just a strait 150mil.

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
I've never heard of the players speaking about the floor (not saying they haven't). Originally the floor was an owner idea. The owners who were sharing the money didn't want the recieving owners to just pocket the money. They wanted to be sure that that money was spent on players. The problem with the sharing system they have is that it isn't tied to anything it was just a strait 150mil.

It was not a fixed value, it was set to 4.5% of HRR. And actually could go higher or lower then that amount based on a lot of formulas.

My understanding is that the sharing proposals being tossed about during the current CBA negotiations are also %'s of HRR, though just about every media report just says how much the sharing amount would have been if there were a full 2012-2013 season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad