Stefan Liv

Status
Not open for further replies.

SChan*

SEL playoffs just ended tonight with a win for HV71. HV71 has Stefan Liv which is the best Goalie prospect sweden has had for years. He had amazingly 4 shutouts in best of 7 games in the final. Very impressive numbers indeed, and he is only 23 years old.

Now to my question, which NHL club has drafted Stefan Liv?

mole

May 7, 2002
Top line, baby
Visit site
Detroit. He said in an interview a few days ago that he's talking to them now and then, but they have made no offers yet. Maybe the convincing finals performance will change that..

SChan*

mole said:
Detroit. He said in an interview a few days ago that he's talking to them now and then, but they have made no offers yet. Maybe the convincing finals performance will change that..

Indeed. I saw the final game today, and he was just amazing. He stopped everything. Hv71 won 5-0, but it could gone either way because Liv was just a brickwall. Liv is probably gonna be Sweden´s goalie in the world champs, and I hope he gets the nod over salo in a world cup.

DutchLeafsfan

Jun 3, 2002
Rotterdam, NL
www.gamer.nl
SantaCruZer said:
Indeed. I saw the final game today, and he was just amazing. He stopped everything. Hv71 won 5-0, but it could gone either way because Liv was just a brickwall. Liv is probably gonna be Sweden´s goalie in the world champs, and I hope he gets the nod over salo in a world cup.

Most Swedish posters expect Mikael Tellqvist to get the nod for the World Cup, considering his performance at last years World Championships. However I don't think the Leafs would let Tellqvist go to the World Championships this year as long as they are in the playoffs...

edit: thread moved to the prospect board.

nyr5186

May 12, 2002
New Orleans
Visit site
DutchLeafsfan said:
Most Swedish posters expect Mikael Tellqvist to get the nod for the World Cup, considering his performance at last years World Championships. However I don't think the Leafs would let Tellqvist go to the World Championships this year as long as they are in the playoffs...

edit: thread moved to the prospect board.

What about Henrik Lundqvist? I remember John Davidson saying a couple of weeks ago that he was the favorite to be starting for Sweden in the WC's. Ulf Dahlen was also raving about him and said he wants him on the team.

Last edited:

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
mole said:
Detroit during the playoffs do not talk about contracts for the current NHLers or prospects. Once the season is done, more then likely you'll see the wings do some signings.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
nyr4life5186 said:
What about Henrik Lundqvist? I remember John Davidson saying a couple of weeks ago that he was the favorite to be starting for Sweden.

Lundqvist and Liv are probably pretty equal. My favorite is Liv though. Now in all fairness HV71 had probably the best defense of all the teams with Ex NHL:ers Fredrik Olausson and Per Gustafsson as the top defensive pair.

mole

May 7, 2002
Top line, baby
Visit site
zetterberg40 said:
Detroit during the playoffs do not talk about contracts for the current NHLers or prospects. Once the season is done, more then likely you'll see the wings do some signings.
Funny you should say that, with a name like that. Zetterberg signed in May 2002, while the Wings were still in the playoffs (on their way to the Cup) - so that doesn't really hold up.
However, I don't think they'll sign Liv anytime soon, because of the CBA issues.

Last edited:

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
I like both Liv and Lundqvist but I think Lundqvist is the better prospect.
Lundqvist is the most skilled goalie, he is the best goalie in Sweden at making him "look big" = cover the net. He is very agile and quick.

Liv on the other hand is more impulsive and not that it is a bad thing, but many of his saves look very "lucky". He hasn't got a certain style but sometimes throws himself like a soccer goalie, sometimes he goes down very early, sometimes he stands up all the time. :) Nonetheless I think both have what it takes to become good goalies in the NHL.

SChan*

Isn't Detroit stacked in the goalie department already? Maybe it would be good for Liv to come to a club where he has a chance to play...

SChan*

Predatore said:
I like both Liv and Lundqvist but I think Lundqvist is the better prospect.
Lundqvist is the most skilled goalie, he is the best goalie in Sweden at making him "look big" = cover the net. He is very agile and quick.

Liv on the other hand is more impulsive and not that it is a bad thing, but many of his saves look very "lucky". He hasn't got a certain style but sometimes throws himself like a soccer goalie, sometimes he goes down very early, sometimes he stands up all the time. :) Nonetheless I think both have what it takes to become good goalies in the NHL.

Imo Liv looks better than lundqvist, because I think Liv is more of a competitor. I remember that he took a shot at Salo, and said he wanted to be nr1 in the world championships. I think Liv got the mentality to become a good NHL goalie.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
Predatore said:
Liv on the other hand is more impulsive and not that it is a bad thing, but many of his saves look very "lucky".

as long as it's a save, i don't care if it was lucky or not. :D

Preds666

Feb 27, 2002
he has been compared to Hasek. Quite often he just throws himself down without knowing where the puck really is, but somehow he always seems to save it.

Should mention also that he is a more sound goalie technically this season. He received special training in August I believe and is standing up more than before, which is good. Very entertaining character that's for sure.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I also would rank Lundqvist above Liv. Lundqvist has all the tools a top goalie needs. But Liv has bounced back this season and was superb in the playoffs, so he definately looks as good as ever has in terms of being a future NHL goalie.

Vatican Roulette

Baile de Los Locos
Feb 28, 2002
Gorillaz-EPWRID
Visit site
mole said:
Funny you should say that, with a name like that. Zetterberg signed in May 2002, while the Wings were still in the playoffs (on their way to the Cup) - so that doesn't really hold up.
However, I don't think they'll sign Liv anytime soon, because of the CBA issues.

Before this year, the wings never signed any roster players to contracts, or talks. This is the 1st year of that, with Lidstrom.

Prospects, i'd imagine, aren't really that big of a deal, doesn't effect the team in the playoffs.

EDIT: On a side note; Detroit looks ok in goal for the future now...in theory at least. MacDonald is doing great in the AHL and might take over the starter next year. Liv is one of the top goalies in the Swedish league, and Howard just led maine within a goal of the national championship(over their senior goalie might i add).

Scouts are doing well.

Last edited:

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Makes sense...... they likely wont resign Cujo after next season making Legace the Starter. Liv moves upto Detroit to play backup and leaves a spot in the AHL for howard.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
davemess said:
Makes sense...... they likely wont resign Cujo after next season making Legace the Starter. Liv moves upto Detroit to play backup and leaves a spot in the AHL for howard.

howard can play two more seasons in college and i'm pretty sure he will complete his four years. the wings don't need to rush him. joey macdonald showed signs of becoming a possible NHL backup and some fans seems to forget drew macintyre, who had a short season due to injuries, but has some potential as well. he should be able to be either a starter in the ECHL or a backup in the AHL next season.

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
Liv won the SEL for HV71, he's a great goalie and he is a funny character. Every interview with Liv is a comedy, but on the ice he's serious and very focused on the game.

I like both Liv and Lundqvist, and let's not forget about Daniel Henriksson. He is up there with both of them, the problem for him is that he isn't drafted and therefor not likely to make it to the NHL. I would like to see both Lundqvist and Liv playing in NA next season if there's no lock out.

Debrincat93

Dec 4, 2002
Michigan
Nhl.com
mole said:

He was mostly signed because they wanted him to come over and watch the wing play in the playoffs. It happens but its not something you'll see holland do.

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
Seiza said:
I like both Liv and Lundqvist, and let's not forget about Daniel Henriksson. He is up there with both of them, the problem for him is that he isn't drafted and therefor not likely to make it to the NHL.
He will be when he puts up stellar numbers with Färjestad. Have you noticed that he has amazing stats from the National Team - 15 games so far with a whopping 1,30 GAA!! Not that he has faced world class players yet, but still... ;)

Donga

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
Seiza said:
Liv won the SEL for HV71, he's a great goalie and he is a funny character. Every interview with Liv is a comedy, but on the ice he's serious and very focused on the game.

This sounds like Brodeur to me. :D

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
Kronblom said:
He will be when he puts up stellar numbers with Färjestad. Have you noticed that he has amazing stats from the National Team - 15 games so far with a whopping 1,30 GAA!! Not that he has faced world class players yet, but still... ;)

With stats like that in Färjestad next year, I can see myself shouting "SM-guld, SM-guld, SM-guld" next year... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad