Steblick Scouting 2006

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuckalinsky

May 1, 2004
With the 05 draft completed, I'm wondering if you've got a good look at the 06 crop. As usual, this early in the year there seems to be a lot of names thrown around as potential superstars. Just curious as to your thoughts on some of the top end players as compared to years gone by. It seems top-end heavy, but as I mentioned, it usually does this early. Thanks Steblick, if you have the time to get to this.

quebec

Apr 29, 2005
does anyone know where defenceman Joey Ryan is rated his draft is 2006 he plays for the Quebec Remparts

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Chuckalinsky said:
With the 05 draft completed, I'm wondering if you've got a good look at the 06 crop. As usual, this early in the year there seems to be a lot of names thrown around as potential superstars. Just curious as to your thoughts on some of the top end players as compared to years gone by. It seems top-end heavy, but as I mentioned, it usually does this early. Thanks Steblick, if you have the time to get to this.

In the past, I would be in the Czech Republic at this time getting a grasp on the '06 prospects but marraige and other work commitments is making that difficult this year.

BUT based on previous viewings I would say watch the Czechs this draft. Frolik is an obvious choice but Tlusty, Kveton, Ruzicka, Kana are all likely (except the latter) 1st round prospects. My sleeper at this point is Backstrom from Sweden who plays a very mature, intelligent game and seemed to be coming on all last season. I'd give him top 10 status at this early point. I like him much more than Lagerstrom, the consensus no. 2 Swede at this point. I have a hunch that Oksala- if he starts utilizing his huge frame- could start making a move on Joensuu as Finland's best 2006 prospect. But he still has a way to go to achieve that yet.

Vasyunov has not lived up to the hype and promise of 2 years ago. It may be another mediocre year for Russians but Vishnevsky may be the best Russian DF prospect sence Grebeschkov and Tyutin.

I didn't really concentrate on Canadian players last season- so you can just look at what others say about them here- although I personally did like the sound, consistent, mature play of Belleville DF DeGray. And of course it's hard not to notice Bryan Little- although he'll be under the microscope since it will be his third year in the league. He reminds me of a poor man's Crosby.

The WHL does not look great for 2006 prospects at this point but there are always some uncovered gems lurking there. Butler, the Portland goalie, should be among the first goalies picked. Mueller shold be a force and Everett, with several highly-ranked players (including Hamill for 2007) should draw a lot of scouts.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
Of course, at the very top there are Kessel, Frolik and maybe Mueller- everybody on these boards knows of these three by now. J. Staal was said to have had a great playoff- I didn't see it although I saw him play earlier in the year. I haven't seen Toews, who is a real wild card. Joensuu and Ruzicka may be a bit overrated in my book, possibly U.S. DF Erik Johnson too- although it will be interesting to see how well he picks up the slack as the USNPDT mainman on DF now.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
I didn't really get a read on Wishart but a lot of people seem to see him as a possible stereotypical WHL stud defenceman.

While I'm here- a few more to add to the list: U.S. DF Mitera- I like him a lot. Finland's Nyholm puts in the classic Finnish big effort with some offensive panache. Czech's Fiala (I forgot to mention him earlier). The Russian Makarov should make the WJC team and raise some eyebrows and Zyuzin shows some potential on DF. Slovak Marcinko has been highly-touted for a while but he disappointed me at the U18s.

An Ape called Yoko

May 15, 2003
Gothenborg
Visit site
steblick said:
My sleeper at this point is Backstrom from Sweden who plays a very mature, intelligent game and seemed to be coming on all last season. I'd give him top 10 status at this early point. I like him much more than Lagerstrom, the consensus no. 2 Swede at this point.
Thats a good call. Bäckström has great potential. I mean talk about great hands and the ability to set up nice plays especially in powerplays. Reminds one actually of Foppa. I don´t really like Lagerström as well... He is just a reliable twowaycenter imo with limited offensive upside.

The player I hold in the highest regard at this point among swedes are Niclas Andersén. A very reliant defenseman. Plays really physical in his own zone and doesn´t make mistakes. Dominated tier3, mens hockey, as a 15-year old, and was really great last year in SuperElit and played U18 JWC(one year younger). I think he will play some games in SEL-hockey this coming winter. He has been compared to Ulf Samuelsson or Mattias Norström and has the same stocky size(wide but not that tall).

Potentialwise i have Nicklas Bäckström as the better obviously, and he will probably be the player i hold as the highest regard this coming season.

Last edited:

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
Not Steblick( who is nowadays tho?)

But keep an eye out for Michael Caruso of Guelph. He should be a top pick next year, all he needs is some stats. He can really skate, pass, defend, and he's pretty physical. A real smooth player. A bit lanky but he's got height and will fill out. You heard it, defenseman Caruso will climb in rankings.

Chuckalinsky

May 1, 2004
Thanks a tonne Steblick. Sorry to put ya on the spot, but your info is always top knotch. I watched Kessel and Frolik at the WJ this year and they both were exciting young talents. Frolik looked so young too, with tonnes of room to improve. I haven't had the chance to see Mueller. Curious as to YOUR favorite out of the three.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
steblick said:
Of course, at the very top there are Kessel, Frolik and maybe Mueller- everybody on these boards knows of these three by now. J. Staal was said to have had a great playoff- I didn't see it although I saw him play earlier in the year. I haven't seen Toews, who is a real wild card. Joensuu and Ruzicka may be a bit overrated in my book, possibly U.S. DF Erik Johnson too- although it will be interesting to see how well he picks up the slack as the USNPDT mainman on DF now.
Erick Johnson will be a top ten pick. He is a very talented D-man with good offensive instincts. He has the size that NHL scouts love although he rarely uses it to his advantange. Another player to watch on the NTDP team is Brian Strait. He's not as big as Johnson but a much more physical D-man. I wouldn't be suprised if he was a late addition to the World Junior team.

fedorov_jr

May 8, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
steblick, i was hoping to PM you about something, but you dont allow that feature... its regarding how to get into the business.... i'm curious as to what steps might be needed..... thanx

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
How to get into the business? OK- the very short answer: 3 main things.
1. Connections in the hockey world.
2. Building up a sense of trust and reliability within that world. For example, a scout should put any gushing fanboy/hate-on approach under wraps.
3. For a scout- you should be able to communicate (i.e., write/speak) well. Particularly, I think it is important to be able communicate things in a non-standard way, avoiding the cliche + uninformative reports. Some (ex?)scouts have great eyes and a sixth sense but if they can't communicate their observations concisely in writing such that it 'catches' the essence of the prospect- then it will not likely influence the GM or DPP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad