steblick does a BM (early draft top 10)

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
...meaning a "Bob Mackenzie".

You know how Bob doesn't see all the players but has a lot of insider hockey contacts and still manages to come out with pretty accurate rankings? Well, I'd like to think that I see more games than Bob but also have my ear to the ground and more than a few contacts.

So, here's who I think would go top 10- in order- if the 2007 draft were to be held tomorrow (not my own top 10 but these are the names getting the best reviews around hockey circles so far):
1. Kyle Turris
2. James Van Riemsdyk
3. Angelo Esposito
4. Yuri Cherepanov (if all things are smooth with his Russian club/federation)
5. Logan Couture
6. Jakub Voracek
7. Karl Alzner
8. Luca Kunti (it's spelled with a C)
9. Keaton Ellerby
10. Sam Gagner

Obviously this will change. If Colton Gillies starts finding the scoresheet watch his name climb up the list.

Who is this Yuri Cherepanov?! :confused:

Crosby=Gretzky

Dec 7, 2004
i lost myself
Who is this Yuri Cherepanov?! :confused:

I think he's reffering to Alexei Cherepanov.

I can't more than fully agree with other posters, this is a great and educating thread, a great read! This makes my day.
Steblick and turnbuckle, I'm assuming you (and some others in this thread as well?) will be attending the WJC's this year. Will you be over for the whole tournament? It would be nice to talk during a game, discuss prospects and such.

turnbuckle*

I always value your opinions on players Steb so i was talking to some more folks about Cherepanov who have seen him play this year, and he is indeed shooting up the rankings. Some are even projecting he'll be the next Russian star from what I hear.

Good call on him and Luca C. I'm still not hearing anyone else ranking Turris and Van Riemsdyk one two, but I certainly like Turris in the top eight, I really like him.

Hiishawk

Feb 28, 2002
Out there somewhere
Visit site
My mistake on Cherepanov's first name. I often make mistakes with European first names because their surname becomes the whole reference point.

I don't want to make a "my personal top 10" list until I see a guy like Petrecki personally this year- and the USHL and USHS are my blind spots. Talk is split on Petrecki, some people like the very steady defensive play, the intimidating physicality etc. Others think there should be more indication of a full-rink hockey sense in the USHL if he projects to be a top 10 guy. They want to see some probing outlet passes and the ability to gain the zone at that level, like Ellerby and Alzner can, before they're sold on him. Petrecki is the defensive version of what Hickey is offensively.

I hear very good things about USHS player McDonagh too but have never seen him ever. How can I rank him personally?

It's unlikely I'll hit the WJCs. It looks like I'll be at a different tournament over the holidays. Will be in Finland in April though for U18s.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
I always value your opinions on players Steb so i was talking to some more folks about Cherepanov who have seen him play this year, and he is indeed shooting up the rankings. Some are even projecting he'll be the next Russian star from what I hear.

The thing with Cherepanov is that he hasn't ever really stood out from, and has even been overshadowed by guys like Korostin, Rotislav Bashkirov, and Karamnov on Russia-89. Since North American scouts primarily use international competitions to gauge Russian youngsters as most of the scouting-worthy players assemble in one place: you saw the aforementioned three usually ranked ahead of Cherepanov in various prospect rankings. Even those who saw Alexei rise through the Avangard developmental system couldn't have predicted his explosion at the Superleague level; before this season nobody would even have expected him to see significant minutes in Omsk. Yet Cherepanov was given a chance and took it to the point of being on the cusp of the senior national team as per Bykov himself. While Cherepanov's success at his age surpasses that of Ovechkin & Malkin, it came as an unexpected surprise - making him rather unherladed in comparisson to the duo of NHL phenoms or even an even younger Kuchin (who has shown complete international dominance). Seeing as Cherepanov, despite being two years underage and unlike all the other 89' born players, is probably going to play at the World Juniors - perceptions of him are likely to continue improving.

espo*

My mistake on Cherepanov's first name. I often make mistakes with European first names because their surname becomes the whole reference point.

I don't want to make a "my personal top 10" list until I see a guy like Petrecki personally this year- and the USHL and USHS are my blind spots. Talk is split on Petrecki, some people like the very steady defensive play, the intimidating physicality etc. Others think there should be more indication of a full-rink hockey sense in the USHL if he projects to be a top 10 guy. They want to see some probing outlet passes and the ability to gain the zone at that level, like Ellerby and Alzner can, before they're sold on him. Petrecki is the defensive version of what Hickey is offensively.

I hear very good things about USHS player McDonagh too but have never seen him ever. How can I rank him personally?

It's unlikely I'll hit the WJCs. It looks like I'll be at a different tournament over the holidays. Will be in Finland in April though for U18s.

That's o.k,i thought maybe you would'nt be able to do it because of something like that.It does'nt hurt to ask though.
How about a list of the guys you have seen this year then? lol

I don't give up easy i guess

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad