Steals of the draft..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I'm going to go with the Avs getting Kent Patterson. I think he'll prove to be the best goaltender taken from this draft.

Zorin

Sep 2, 2002
Germany
www.krefeld-penguins.de
Well, as a Wings fan and reading into our guys I think that they really got away with highway robbery in Andersson and Torquanto.

But the Rangers had their share too with Cherepanov. I mean... forgeht the transfer agreement and stuff. The guy freakin' broke a rookie scoring record in Russia. Him! not Ovechkin, not Malkin, not Zherdev or Kovalchuk!

Also I think Esposito was lower then expected.

Anyway, from a Redwings perspective I wouldn't redo it for sure ;) I am also pretty happy with Smith. Sounds encouraging.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Anyone Detroit drafted in the later rounds....oh wait, looks like people have already jumped on that yearly bandwagon.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

Mr DeBakey

Jun 7, 2007
56 - Chi Akim Aliu **
70 - Cgy John Negrin *
127 - Edm Milan Kytnar
147 - Buf Jean-Simon Allard ***
162 - Car Brett Bellemore
196 - Nyi Simon Lacroix

bluechip

May 19, 2006
Backlund in the 1st, Mitchell in the 3rd, Jeffrey in the 6th, Larson in the 7th. Those are 4 that I've seen.
Cherepanov has a huge upside as long as his work ethic is sound and he doesn't avoid traffic.

Goncharov in the 5th could turn out to be quite good.

Kytnar will be a bust. Andersson by Detroit was not a good pick.

I'm sure other players that we haven't seen play will emerge.

Three of the better picks in the 1st: McDonagh, Backlund, White

Last edited:
Reactions: QJL

Buckleys

Jul 21, 2006
Bashkirov and Blood could be steals for Ottawa. O'Brien is a good pick. Im still borderline on this Caparusso pick, but Frank Jay (head scout for Ottawa) was "adament" Ottawa take him, so it gives me confidence, because hes brought us gems in the past.

sehnsucht

Mar 10, 2004
I adore the Flames picks of Backlund, Negrin, and Aulie. From what I've heard, Backlund and Negrin are some of the youngest players in the draft, and both dropped because of injuries (you can see a trend here for Sutter's drafting- see Pelech). Aulie's big, sounds like he's got enough speed to not be a pylon (never seen him play, but what I've heard), and has won scholastic awards.

Colour me a satisfied Flames fan.

FlaPanthers7

May 31, 2002
Denver, CO
Visit site
From the horse's mouth, Panthers Director of Scouting Scott Luce: Goalie Sergei Gayduchenko: (7th round, 202st pick), 6-5, 222 pounds: “He has very good technical skills. We believe he’s a diamond in the rough from a goalkeeper’s view. I think because of our depth, we can roll the dice a little bit. I think with (Gayduchenko) the rewards exceed the risk.â€

http://panthers.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=322974

I cannot find a darn thing about this kid ANYWHERE!!! :biglaugh: :shakehead

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
I think the Caps got a good one in Nick Larson in the 7th round. He's going to Minnesota in '08, I was impressed with every time I saw him, wanted the Habs to take him badly. Grant could be a good one for the Pens, I also wanted the Habs to get him cause if he puts it all together he could be a good one.

Torquato was a big shocker to me, I thought he'd be a 2nd-3rd rounder.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Well, as a Wings fan and reading into our guys I think that they really got away with highway robbery in Andersson and Torquanto.

But the Rangers had their share too with Cherepanov. I mean... forgeht the transfer agreement and stuff. The guy freakin' broke a rookie scoring record in Russia. Him! not Ovechkin, not Malkin, not Zherdev or Kovalchuk!

Also I think Esposito was lower then expected.

Anyway, from a Redwings perspective I wouldn't redo it for sure ;) I am also pretty happy with Smith. Sounds encouraging.

Kovalchuk didn't had a chance. He never played in RSL until lockout.;)

nags

Sep 27, 2006
I think Gregoire picked 76th in the third. Only caveat is he got picked by the Islanders who haven't exactly been great at developing their young talent.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I think Gregoire picked 76th in the third. Only caveat is he got picked by the Islanders who haven't exactly been great at developing their young talent.

Developing them isn't so much the problem as keeping them until they've finished :)

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
. My personal belief is Torquato... someone needs to really explain to me what he was doing around in the 6th round.

Criminal allegations were raised against Torquato last season and it's well documented what they were. I don't think they ever came in front of the courts though.

That and he did suffer a concussion last season. Those two things may have had something to do with the slide.

Edit: n/m it did go to the courts and Torquato was guilty, he may still be facing jail time.

Last edited:

jlockhart89

Humboldt Strong
Jul 16, 2004
Humboldt, SK
Backlund in the 1st, Mitchell in the 3rd, Jeffrey in the 6th, Larson in the 7th. Those are 4 that I've seen.
Cherepanov has a huge upside as long as his work ethic is sound and he doesn't avoid traffic.

And your support for this is what?

Laraque4PM*

I swear people here get so caught up in a players last name, they dont realise how many times they have actually seen the kid play. Its probably once, twice, or never. Im sure these scouts see these kids play alot more than me or you. Maybe there was a reason for passing on some of these players? Although the Russians in thier case are a bit of a different story.

Amateur Hour

Jul 23, 2006
Negadelphia
Moller, Mayorov, and Torquato seem to be givens so far, so I'll go with some others...

Kent Patterson - G - 4th round, #113 (COL): I've been mystified for months now why this kid wasn't ever ranked higher among NA goalies. If the only reason he's rated lower is because of playing time, then the Avs got themselves quite the steal... kid draws comparisons to Ryan Miller, both in playing style and getting the shaft on draft day for really no good reason. In my opinion, he's going to be the best goalie from this class when all is said and done.

Mark Santorelli - C - 4th round, #119 (NSH): Preds got themselves a real player here. Much like David Perron, not only is this Santorelli's second year of eligibility after going undrafted in 2006, but he has also catapulted himself into the draft discussion by having a dynamite past season for his CHL team, the Chilliwack Bruins of the WHL. Santorelli slipped in the draft mainly because of his foot speed (which can be worked on), but everything else about his game is above average, especially his hockey sense and offensive production.

Blake Kessel - D - 6th round, #166 (NYI): Phil's younger brother, Blake played extremely well for the Waterlook Blackhawks of the USHL, putting up 38 points in 59 games as a rookie this past season. His ranking wall all over the board with scouting agencies (#99 by CSB, #211 by ISS), but he has NHL size (6'1" 210 lbs at age 18) and should only improve as his body continues to mature. He'll spend one more year with Waterloo before going to UNH in the fall of 2008.

Andrew Glass - LW - 7th round, #199 (WSH): High school kid who oozes talent was #87 in CSB's final rankings. In addition to needing to gain strength (how many draftees don't?), Glass must learn to utilize his linemates better, instead of solely relying on his own skill to make something happen... I think that kind of thing will work itself out as he moves up the ranks and begins to play with more talented players, instead of high schoolers. Well, hopefully it'll be something that works itself out as he develops.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown

Anyone who has ever watched a video of him should know that he doesn't avoid traffic. He goes right to the net and thats where he scores a lot of his goals anyway. He even throws a hit every now and again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->