Steals of the draft..

Status
Not open for further replies.

kblanch1

Mar 3, 2002
Manchester, CT
Visit site
HAS to be Torquato...how he slipped that far is beyond me.
Though I spoke to a couple of scouts towards the end of last season...and none of them were particularly high on him...so it shouldn't have surprised me as much as it did. There were quite a few unranked players who were drafted ahead of him (such as Cody Almond) so it was very much a surprise that he slipped that far.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Honorable Mentions:

Korostin by Dallas 3rd round
Zabotel by Pittsburgh 3rd round
Blood by Ottawa 4th round
Allard by Buffalo 5th round
Torp by Habs 6th round
Skokan by Rangers 7th round

But the steal of the draft as of today for me:

Goncharov by Phoenix 5th round

Reactions: JAVO16

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Repik, Mayorov, and obviously Torquato

Repik is one hell of a player and it was weird that his stock rose so much close to the draft and then he went in the second

Mayorov is a top 15 talent in my mind, and he goes 94th :handclap:

Torquato was ranked, what 17th in April? man what a steal for the 6th round :amazed: why does everything great in the draft happen to detroit :shakehead

The Frugal Gourmet

Mar 3, 2002
New York, New York
Visit site
Clearly all these late rounders who were once ranked high or ranked high in certain publications are "steals". The only ones who don't seem to know it are the scores of the world's most brilliant hockey minds and talent evaluators who passed on them over and over and over again.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Who's Matt Frattin anyway?

Rookie Matt Frattin was chosen 99th overall by the Toronto Maple Leafs after a successful rookie campaign in the AJHL. Frattin of the Fort Saskatchewan Traders was named the 2006-2007 Rookie of the Year for the Alberta Junior Hockey League. Frattin was tied for 2nd overall in the AJHL Scoring Race with 83 points and led all Rookies in scoring.

great pick,in 4 years look out.:handclap:

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
According to the Penguins staff, it's this character named Jake Muzzin at #141, but I'll believe it when I see it. My homer pick would be either Dustin Jeffrey as mentioned already or Casey Pierro-Zabotel at #111. My personal belief is Torquato... someone needs to really explain to me what he was doing around in the 6th round.

CertifiedPublicGuin

Oct 21, 2005
I really really really like our Olivier Fortier pick !!! :bow:

Yea I was gonna say that to another Habs fan who was so upset because "Gainey needs to start picking some French-Canadian stars for once." --- that was in reaction to passing on Espo. I guess he was overlooking Fortier to say the least... that's a Quebec'er to watch for... that was a good pick.

Krieger Bot

Apr 30, 2007
I wanted to see the Sabres take Mayorov at 31 and he didn't end up going until 63 picks later so he's gotta be the steal of the draft for me.

arin1

Apr 30, 2006
Wow, you guys make me feel SO much better about this draft now, as a Wings fan. :handclap::handclap::biglaugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->