Steals of the 2005 draft

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Just go to the Sweden board and read about Stralman.

Many people are saying that he is showing even more promise than Niklas Kronwall. Niklas Kronwall is a fine defenseman, but the thought of even comparing Stralman to a defenseman like Kronwall is very good to hear.

Many other Swede posters have gone as far as to compare his game to that of Lidstrom and Leetch. Again, thats some amazing company to have. If Stralman even becomes a top 4 guy I'll wet my pants, but again he's being mentioned in some great company.

He is referred as one of the top players in Sweden, not a prospect, but a player. He's a boy playing with men.

7th round. IMO he's the steal so far in the lower rounds.

Geese_Howard*

Just go to the Sweden board and read about Stralman.

Many people are saying that he is showing even more promise than Niklas Kronwall. Niklas Kronwall is a fine defenseman, but the thought of even comparing Stralman to a defenseman like Kronwall is very good to hear.

Many other Swede posters have gone as far as to compare his game to that of Lidstrom and Leetch. Again, thats some amazing company to have. If Stralman even becomes a top 4 guy I'll wet my pants, but again he's being mentioned in some great company.

He is referred as one of the top players in Sweden, not a prospect, but a player. He's a boy playing with men.

7th round. IMO he's the steal so far in the lower rounds.

defenitly looks to be a steal at that pick, I expected nothing from him, just another minor league who might be 5/6th dman on our roster. However, after reading the swedish boards and watching every poster praise him, he has sky rocketed on my depth chart.

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'm all over Bergfors (at #25) as the steal. His PPG were the exact same as Kopitars as the played on the same team in the same draft year. Kopitar was a steal in his own right, but he WAS ranked #2 by ISS and WAS predicted to go top 6. Bergfors lead Albany last year in points as the youngest player in the AHL and now he's toiling away at a point-per-game clip in his 2nd year. He's dynamic!

HM: Yandle

Bergfors was the guy I was really, really hoping Phoenix was going to select when they opted for Hanzal at #17. I had to watch the draft on my computer, and my girlfriend was very confused to wake up to me yelling "Bergfors!, Bergfors!, Bergors!" at my moniter. When the chose Hanzal I said, "who?" Hanzal is looking pretty good right now, too, though. He's leading the WHL in scoring, in fact.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
<--

Laakso could end up being one of the biggest steals, it's easy to see so much potential in him. But he's still far from even leaving for NA, not to mention the NHL so there's a good chance he'll end up a bust.

I'm rooting for him though, like I have for the last 4 years.

hockeyprincess

Sep 5, 2006
Kingston, ON
Round 1: Anze Kopitar, Benoit Pouliot
Round 2: Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Ondrej Pavelec
Round 3: Kris Russell, Kristopher Letang, Radek Smolenak
Round 4: Jakub Vojta, Patrick McNeill, Tom Pyatt, Viatcheslav Trukhno
Round 5: Kevin Lalande, Stanislav Lascek
Round 6: Adam Dennis
Round 7: David Kuchejda, Sergei Kostitsyn

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Round 1: Anze Kopitar, Benoit Pouliot
Round 2: Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Ondrej Pavelec
Round 3: Kris Russell, Kristopher Letang, Radek Smolenak
Round 4: Jakub Vojta, Patrick McNeill, Tom Pyatt, Viatcheslav Trukhno
Round 5: Kevin Lalande, Stanislav Lascek
Round 6: Adam Dennis
Round 7: David Kuchejda, Sergei Kostitsyn

Is that a joke?

gars59

Jan 16, 2005
Trois-Rivières
Round 1: Anze Kopitar,Nicklas Bergfors
Round 2: Marc-Edouard Vlasic, Guillaume Latendresse
Round 3: Kristopher Letang, Perttu Lindgren
Round 4: Patrick McNeill, Tom Pyatt, Viatcheslav Trukhno
Round 5: Stanislav Lascek
Round 6: Adam Dennis,Jean-Philipp Paquet,Matt D'Agostini
Round 7:Jean-Philippe Levasseur, Sergei Kostitsyn

Hockey-Freak

Apr 18, 2005
Many people thought that he was going to go second overall behind Sidney Crosby. This was because he was second in ISS Central Scouting for North American skaters. Surprisingly, Bobby Ryan and Jack Johnson were both drafted before him, prompting Pouliot to be drafted fourth overall by Minnesota.

So it depends on ISS reports who´s the better prospect? It´s not only questionable if Pouliot is better than Johnson and Ryan (and Brule, Kopitar, Boudon, Staal, etc.), this thread is about STEALS and for me there´s no way he´s a steal!

hockeyprincess

Sep 5, 2006
Kingston, ON
So it depends on ISS reports who´s the better prospect? It´s not only questionable if Pouliot is better than Johnson and Ryan (and Brule, Kopitar, Boudon, Staal, etc.), this thread is about STEALS and for me there´s no way he´s a steal!

I did not say that it depends on ISS reports.
I am paraphrasing the first paragraph of this article:
http://www.nhl.com/features/system/pouliot031606.html

Ti-girl

Jan 29, 2005
Merida, Mexico
The only way I think Pouliot would be considered a steal would be if he dropped to somewhere in the late first round.

But that's just me.

Karamahti*

Of the players I´ve seen most:

Kopitar - Calder candidate
Rask - possibly the best player in sm-liiga at the moment
Lindgren - the most offensively gifted finnish pivot since T.Ruutu
Trukhno - offensive force
Laakso - playing over 25 minutes per game for Bob Francis in sm-liiga, good all-around skills

Redwingsfan

Global Moderator
Jul 15, 2006
The only way I think Pouliot would be considered a steal would be if he dropped to somewhere in the late first round.

But that's just me.

i agree. pouliot at #4 overall is no where near a steal. personaly i had him at around 7 at the time. probably lower now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad