Steal of the 2006 draft in each round

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icetime

Oct 28, 2006
LA
The Caps had a ridiculously sick draft. Backstrom and Varmalov are enough to be very happy, but Bouchard, Osala(4th) and of course out of nowhere Perreault(6th). Just awesome.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Typical HF Thought process when encountering this question.

1st round- <My team's prospect>
HM: A Hawk's prospect

2nd round- <My team's prospect>
HM: <My team's other prospect courtesy of Uncle Burke's free 2nd round giveaways>

3rd round - <DEFINITELY MY FAVOURITE TEAM'S PROSPECT OMG RYAN WHITE WAT A STEAL!! DROOL DROOL!!! YOUTUBE IT!:bow: :bow: >
HM: An overager tearing up the RSL

4th Round- <Some non-division rival team's prospect>
HM: <My team's prospect>

5th Round: A late round Ottawa Gem (to break repetition)
HM: Alex Biega <---wish he were my team's prospect but he is not

6th Round: <My team's prospect> (wait What no pick???!!??) oh well then my 2nd favourite team's prospect
HM: Obscure Red Wing's Russian Prospect (and will remain one for 10+ years) DID JOOU SEA THAT SICK GOAL HE SCORED IN DIVISION 4?????

7th Round: Andrei Popov (b/c he has a cool name)
HM: <My team's prospect> (and no one would dare pick me apart for it, I mean honestly who watches the NAHL?)

8th round: I wish they had an extra round so I could again pick my team's prospect.

Last edited:

Phenomenon

Jun 10, 2006
How about some love for Oskar Osala:dunno:

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

Enough?

He truly surprised me in WJC. He started in the 4th line in practise games, but after getting Joensuu's spot and getting a scoring role in the first line alongside with Lindgren good things started to happen. He was one of the best players in the whole tournament and I really hope that the self-confidence he showed carries on later on this season and further. He reminded a young Shanahan with a combination of skills, will and power.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Valentenko, a 1st to 2nd round talent, taken late because of lack of knowledge of him.

You really think he's a first round talent or is this more like a wish? Do you think he's better then Emelin and Emelin was a 3rd round pick.

Care to explain how a defenseman playing in the RSL/RSL juniors was not known? Neftekhimik isn't just some obscure Russian team...

He means during his draft year. He wasn't playing for Neftekhimik then (well 2 games) he played for Neftekhimik-2 last year but the Habs scouts said the rink was one of the coldest rinks they ever visited.

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
He means during his draft year. He wasn't playing for Neftekhimik then (well 2 games) he played for Neftekhimik-2 last year but the Habs scouts said the rink was one of the coldest rinks they ever visited.

Neftekhimik-2 had to have played at other rinks though, and he could've been seen there. He was also on the Russian junior team and played against the CHL. Also, don't the Habs have a Russian scout? I'm sure he saw him at least a few times and was the reason they drafted him, and there are plenty of other teams with Russian scouts.

Sure, he's had less exposure than 1st round picks, but we're talking about a 5th rounder here...Besides, most scouts knew nothing about Tulupov and he got picked up in the 3rd round.

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
Neftekhimik-2 had to have played at other rinks though, and he could've been seen there. He was also on the Russian junior team and played against the CHL. Also, don't the Habs have a Russian scout? I'm sure he saw him at least a few times and was the reason they drafted him, and there are plenty of other teams with Russian scouts.

Sure, he's had less exposure than 1st round picks, but we're talking about a 5th rounder here...Besides, most scouts knew nothing about Tulupov and he got picked up in the 3rd round.

I don't know how much he played for Neftekhimik-2 but eurohockey.net has him at 6 games for the year (which could easily be wrong) Yes he played in the remax games and that's where the Habs director of player personal spotted him. Yes the Habs have a Russian scout, he suggested to the Habs they take him in the 2nd round.

With Valentenko I think he was just more of an unknown or scouts didn't think that highly of him. I forget where he was ranked by CSB but I know that Russianprospects didnt even have him on their list of eligible draft prospects for the '06 draft.

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
With Valentenko I think he was just more of an unknown or scouts didn't think that highly of him. I forget where he was ranked by CSB but I know that Russianprospects didnt even have him on their list of eligible draft prospects for the '06 draft.
CSB had him ranked #138 amongst Europeans, and I believe he might have been the lowest-ranked European player taken. For the most part, the number of players picked past the #50 or so ranking were few and far between. FWIW.

Adam91

Dec 19, 2005
Toronto
1st - Chris Summers
2nd - Artem Anisimov
3rd - Kaspars Daugavins
4th - Kevin Montgomery
5th - Alex Biega
6th - Kevin Koopman7th - Eric Condra

Undrafted: Chad Greenan, shocked he was not picked.

Its a little early to call him a steal, I was shocked when they took a guy out of jr.b hockey, although it is an above average jr.b league. He is still adjusting to jr.A so it will probably be at least 4-5 years before we have a chance of seeing him the show.

Amateur Hour

Jul 23, 2006
Negadelphia
Round 1: Claude Giroux
Round 2: Andreas Nodl, Michael Ratchuk, Denis Bodrov
Round 3: Jonathan Matsumoto
Round 4: Joonas Lehtivuori, Jakub Kovar
Round 5: Jon Rheault
Round 6: Michael Dupont
Round 7: Andrei Popov

Notice a trend? :D

Seriously, though, I do think highly of Giroux, Nodl, Rheault, and Popov, with Giroux and Nodl topping the list.

As for my non-homer picks:

Round 1: Peter Mueller (if you can consider the #8 pick a steal), Nick Foligno
Round 2: Yuri Alexandrov, Mathieu Carle, Codey Burki
Round 3: Cal Clutterbuck (great name, too), Tom Sestito
Round 4: Tomas Marcinko, Pierre-Luc Lessard
Round 5: Alex Biega, Tomas Zaborsky
Round 6: Sergei Shirokov, Juraj Simek (yeah, the Canucks got BOTH sleepers in this round... b*stards)
Round 7: Derek Dorsett, Benjamin Breault

Amateur Hour

Jul 23, 2006
Negadelphia
Perreault is probably the biggest steal of the whole draft and I see that nobody except you mentions his name....
Lots of key board punchers here.....

I'm sure it's 1 of 2 things: 1) People have no idea who he is 2) those who do know of him and what he's doing in the Q still see his shrimp-like, diminutive size (5'8" 150 lbs) as a major deterrent, even in the "New NHL"

I'm guilty of the option #2.

JustJoe2k5

Jun 5, 2006
Bobby Hughes
183rd overall pick in the sixth round.

Kingston Frontenacs of the OHL:
37 GP / 30 G / 31 A

Main question about him was his size, but at 5'10" and 170 lbs. he is only 10 lbs. behind Ray Whitney who may currently be the best player on the Hurricanes' roster.

Thundermare

Aug 21, 2004

Enough?

He truly surprised me in WJC. He started in the 4th line in practise games, but after getting Joensuu's spot and getting a scoring role in the first line alongside with Lindgren good things started to happen. He was one of the best players in the whole tournament and I really hope that the self-confidence he showed carries on later on this season and further. He reminded a young Shanahan with a combination of skills, will and power.

LOL yeap that should do it :D

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Who do you think is the steal of the draft in each round. Here are my choices. Not too sure about most of the players, but this is from what I know.

1st - Bryan Little
2nd - Nigel Williams
3rd - Kaspars Daugavins
4th - Kevin Montgomery
5th - Maxim Lacroix
6th - Jordan Fulton
7th - Benn Feriero

How can you even start a thread like this? The draft isn't even a year old yet. What justifies a steal? Someone who has played better this year? Big deal. Next year you'll be calling the same players busts. You can't even start to discuss this until they are playing pro hockey. Too many of this silly threads. Talk about drafts from late 90s early 2000s if you want to talk about steals. At least those players are playing pro hockey, not 1 or 2 years of junior.

Kritty

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Valentenko, a 1st to 2nd round talent, taken late because of lack of knowledge of him.

So were you saying this before all this talk about how great he was at the world juniors? Players are drafted where they are for a reason. Clearly there were reasons why he wasn't a 1st or 2nd rounder. And it's more than lack of knowledge. NHL teams have tremendous budgets for scouting. He would've been seen.

haelwho

Mar 8, 2006
Boston
Bobby Hughes
183rd overall pick in the sixth round.

Kingston Frontenacs of the OHL:
37 GP / 30 G / 31 A

Main question about him was his size, but at 5'10" and 170 lbs. he is only 10 lbs. behind Ray Whitney who may currently be the best player on the Hurricanes' roster.

He got picked late because he was a 19 year old IIRC.

Seems strange that some overagers like Roussin go early and others go late because teams are scared of their age...

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
So were you saying this before all this talk about how great he was at the world juniors? Players are drafted where they are for a reason. Clearly there were reasons why he wasn't a 1st or 2nd rounder. And it's more than lack of knowledge. NHL teams have tremendous budgets for scouting. He would've been seen.

Even Slitty didnt even know who he was, and many teams wanted to take him late because they felt no one knew of him.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I'm sure it's 1 of 2 things: 1) People have no idea who he is 2) those who do know of him and what he's doing in the Q still see his shrimp-like, diminutive size (5'8" 150 lbs) as a major deterrent, even in the "New NHL"

I'm guilty of the option #2.

Lets face it that is tiny. Fleury was only 5'6'', but had a decent amount of bulk in his youth at 165 and got up to about 175 in his late 20's.

TempusFugit

Aug 30, 2006
Lets face it that is tiny. Fleury was only 5'6'', but had a decent amount of bulk in his youth at 165 and got up to about 175 in his late 20's.

And don't forget a certain hobbit playing for a Southern US team. You know him. Has a Stanley Cup ring. Won an Art Ross trophy. Top 3 in goal scoring this year too.

Size doesn't always matter

Perreault is 18 years old. He's got a few years to bulk up. Feed the kid cheeseburgers, fries and lock him in the weight room for a few hours everyday. Kids can grow very quickly at that age

TempusFugit

Aug 30, 2006
The Caps had a ridiculously sick draft. Backstrom and Varmalov are enough to be very happy, but Bouchard, Osala(4th) and of course out of nowhere Perreault(6th). Just awesome.

And Czech goalie Neuvirth, a second rounder who is tearing up the OHL right now

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
Obviously hypothetical; but where do you guys feel, if the draft were reheld now, would some of these sleepers you've selected be drafted - approximately...
For example, Francois Bouchard possibly late 1st rnd...

Again, hypothetical, but interesting exercise...

Cheers

justdanickoftime*

steal or no steal, backstrom and varlamov might be the best two picks of the first round, the caps have a bright future with these two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->