Line Combos: State of the Defense Going Forward This Season

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
After watching Bouchard last night, unsurprisingly his skillset is much needed on this team. From a team with no true offensive defensemen last season (Nurse has taken great leaps forward this season, but I'm not quite ready to call him a true offensive defenseman because his passing is a bit lacking, but more of a solid two way guy that can score with a good shot) suddenly we have 2 very capable ones in Barrie and Bouch. Clearly we need some players that can PK and break up the cycle too to have a good mix.

Here's what I'd like to see going forward this season:

Nurse-Barrie (this is the pairing that I wanted to see from the start of the season)

Lagesson-Bear (when Ethan is ready to return, he is better defensively than Bouch and Lagesson gives us a cycle breaker to replace Larsson)

Russell-Bouchard (Russell's experience will go a long ways towards helping Bouch break in)

Koekkoek-Jones
(Both could challenge Lagesson, Russell and Bouch if they stumble)

IMO the improved breakout, ability to keep the puck in the zone and score from the point by Barrie and Bouch outweigh their defensive shortcomings. Adding both to the lineup will allow the top 2 lines to go even more beast mode with extra touches in the O zone and cleaner breakouts.

IMO we should move Larsson for futures as I really don't see a spot for him going forward.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
With injuries and Covid around any corner and tight schedules, we will need Larsson. What I would do is get him comfortable playing the left side.

4K and Jones are too inconsistent, 4K better in small doses like last night, Jones still has a lot of growing to do.
Russell is prone to injury with how he plays the game. Lagesson is still a rookie and will show that inconsistency as well, like 4K better in smaller doses.

But when healthy I would - if Larsson can play the left side 5v5 - play 11F and 7D and go with this and in brackets is their special teams deployment:

Nurse (PK, PP2) -Barrie (PP1)
Russell (PK) -Bouchard (PP2)
Lagesson and Larsson (Right PK) -Bear (PK)

Tampa often plays 11/7 and it works well for them.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
After watching Bouchard last night, unsurprisingly his skillset is much needed on this team. From a team with no true offensive defensemen last season (Nurse has taken great leaps forward this season, but I'm not quite ready to call him a true offensive defenseman because his passing is a bit lacking, but more of a solid two way guy that can score with a good shot) suddenly we have 2 very capable ones in Barrie and Bouch. Clearly we need some players that can PK and break up the cycle too to have a good mix.

Here's what I'd like to see going forward this season:

Nurse-Barrie (this is the pairing that I wanted to see from the start of the season)

Lagesson-Bear (when Ethan is ready to return, he is better defensively than Bouch and Lagesson gives us a cycle breaker to replace Larsson)

Russell-Bouchard (Russell's experience will go a long ways towards helping Bouch break in)

Koekkoek-Jones
(Both could challenge Lagesson, Russell and Bouch if they stumble)

IMO the improved breakout, ability to keep the puck in the zone and score from the point by Barrie and Bouch outweigh their defensive shortcomings. Adding both to the lineup will allow the top 2 lines to go even more beast mode with extra touches in the O zone and cleaner breakouts.

IMO we should move Larsson for futures as I really don't see a spot for him going forward.

Klefbom would be perfect for that D-core.

Nurse - Barrie
Klefbom - Bear
Koekkoek - Bouchard

I really hope his surgery/recovery goes well, both for his well-being going forward and for the future of our D-core.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad