Stastny vs. Latendresse

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
I haven't watched a lot of Stastny...but I do watch a lot of Lats. And one thing I notice with him, he often does those types of things that usually only the real special players do. He'll surprise the heck out of me with a soft, saucer pass over sticks and in between bodies right on a stick. He often catches his own teammates offguard with some of his plays. Not saying he's a sure-fire elite player, but he's one of these guys that has that natural ability to see the ice really well, and to make some special things look easy. I think he has a very high upside considering he's only 19.

And it's a very big bonus that he is hard to move with or without the puck, and he can bodycheck players through the boards. He lays some devastating hits.

Gotta agree with you on your assessment on Lats, well I don't have to but I share the same opinions;)

IMO, Lats is right for the Habs (what the doctor ordered!)...He does surprise me with his very crafty, nifty passes... I'm always thinking Power Forward 'cause of his size, for the way he bodychecks/plays (& like you wrote, he's very hard to knock down & I love that in Lats). I also loved the goal vs Lehtonen...had a defenseman right on him and Lats jut dragged him and top cornered it on Lehtonen to score! THAT was a power forward goal (all strength and then a good shot). So...he has great/natural hockey sense (passing/vision) + lots of upside with his shot...I'd love for him to always/most of the time be close to the net a la Ryan Smyth...

Stastny is 21 and has offensive upside a la Pierre Turgeon, or at worst a poor man's version of Turgeon...

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Wow that's a very difficult question to anwser. But for Stastny and a 2nd Round I would have to say yes even though I like Vermette very much.

Wow! I'm a surprised!

I'd take Vermette!! (& this is not a French thing). Maybe it's 'cause I see more value in a player who is, can be a great two-way player for the rest of his career (Vermette).
Antoine has lots of offensive upside, defensive upside (better PKer than Stastny)...
Stastny (IMO) is more about offensive upside...
Downside: poor man's version of Pierre Turgeon (or a Sylvain Turgeon;))
Upside: Pierre Turgeon

For the Habs I'd take Vermette over Stastny (+ a 2nd round pick)...,
but that's just me...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad