Stastny vs. Latendresse

sansabri

a sea of troubles eh
Aug 12, 2005
statsny is amazing. great all-around player, already. i'd love to see him in a habs uniform.

but the habs already have players that play that style.

latendresse finally adds something the habs have been missing for a long time - a physical forward who can actually distribute the puck, cycle and score.

and i've actually seen latendresse drop to block a shot. so, hopefully, he won't be a liability in the defensive zone in the coming years.

great pickups for both teams.

GSK*

:eek:

Stastny is the better player right now. Overall.

No he's not.

Flash in the pan (kidding)

Statsny play on a poor offense team with not a lot of depth. So he play top line (Sakic, Hejduk, Wolski, Stastny and Brunette and sometime Arnason have played top-6 this season).

Latendresse played may be 30 games on the fourth line. He's not better he just get more ice time:

Stastny / Latendresse

Ice Time (per game): 17:00 / 12:02

Hits: 16 (39th) / 77 (1st)

PPP: 2-10-12 / 4-2-6

So Latendresse is close to Stastny while he's playing 5 minutes less per game then him.

For me its not even close, I really like Paul but he's overrated big time due to his father, he's a good top-6 players but with 2 years younger Latendresse will kick Stastny *** in production when he's gonna be 21 years old.

Latendresse ia a GREAT playmaker, everybody exept non habs fan don't know too much about him, but without a doubt I would say Latendresse is a better passer then Stastny.

Stastny is a kind of players you can draft each year, not Latendresse (powerfoward)

(Anyway, my opinion is biased like yours because you're an Avs fan and you never saw play Lats).

Bam Beet*

No he's not.

Statsny play on a poor offense team with not a lot of depth. So he play top line (Sakic, Hejduk, Wolski, Stastny and Brunette and sometime Arnason have played top-6 this season).

Latendresse played may be 30 games on the fourth line. He's not better he just get more ice time:

Stastny / Latendresse

So Latendresse is close to Stastny while he's playing 5 minutes less per game then him.

For me its not even close, I really like Paul but he's overrated big time due to his father, he's a good top-6 players but with 2 years younger Latendresse will kick Stastny *** in production when he's gonna be 21 years old.

Latendresse ia a GREAT playmaker, everybody exept non habs fan don't know too much about him, but without a doubt I would say Latendresse is a better passer then Stastny.

Stastny is a kind of players you can draft each year, not Latendresse (powerfoward)

(Anyway, my opinion is biased like yours because you're an Avs fan and you never saw play Lats).

Now this is a homer post. :shakehead

Little Nilan

Oct 29, 2006
Praha
Latendresse, you can count the number of 19 year old powerforwards who developped this quickly on one hand. Stastny simply doesn't have the unique package Latendresse brings. It's a no brainer for me.

Coug555

Aug 3, 2005
To the people who think Stastny is overrated due to his father have probably never seen him play.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
No he's not.

Stastny / Latendresse

You do realize that the Avalanche have scored more goals than the Canadiens right? In fact the Avalanche rank 8th in terms of overall scoring in the league. Not to mention our top six consists of Hejduk, Svatos, Wolski, Stastny, Sakic, and Brunette. Arnason is technically the 2B center.

One of the reasons Stastny gets a lot of ice time is because he has already established himself as a pretty good penalty killer.

So please, get your facts straight.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Voted Lats. With the notable exception of Lindros, I'd like someone to find a PF that was as developped as Lats at 19 YO. Please, no Ovechkin, this guy is no PF at all.

Little Nilan

Oct 29, 2006
Praha
You do realize that the Avalanche have scored more goals than the Canadiens right? In fact the Avalanche rank 8th in terms of overall scoring in the league. Not to mention our top six consists of Hejduk, Svatos, Wolski, Stastny, Sakic, and Brunette. Arnason is technically the 2B center.

One of the reasons Stastny gets a lot of ice time is because he has already established himself as a pretty good penalty killer.

So please, get your facts straight.

Oh please, the Avs have 2 more goals then the Habs in as many games, not exactly anything to cry home about.

That said CH iggins post was far fetched to say the least.

LesCanadiens

Hardcore Curmudgeon
Feb 27, 2002
West Kelowna
We're all guessing here. So no ones guess is wrong I'd say.

My guess is that Lats will outdo him offensively as a goal scorer. He has one less than Stastny and that after shooting blanks for about 13 games to start the season. Additionally, the age makes a HUGE difference IMO. 1.5 years difference is massive when we're talking 19 year old players.

A great question would be: How would Stastny fare in the NHL as a 19 yr old?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
We're all guessing here. So no ones guess is wrong I'd say.

My guess is that Lats will outdo him offensively as a goal scorer. He has one less than Stastny and that after shooting blanks for about 13 games to start the season. Additionally, the age makes a HUGE difference IMO. 1.5 years difference is massive when we're talking 19 year old players.

A great question would be: How would Stastny fare in the NHL as a 19 yr old?

The worst thing, Lats is more a playmaker than a goal-scorer...

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
The worst thing, Lats is more a playmaker than a goal-scorer...

sorry dude but that's a great thing! Cause right now he has no one to feed him the puck or has the vision to follow him, so atleast he's producing some offense in a way, once he'l play with Kovy or Koivu again he'l be sitting in front of the net deflecting pucks and putting the rebounds in, he'l add some much need toughness to our top 6 in the near future

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
Oh please, the Avs have 2 more goals then the Habs in as many games, not exactly anything to cry home about.

That said CH iggins post was far fetched to say the least.

Just pointing out (albeit I did seem to exaggerate it a bit) that the Avs aren't a offensively shallow team. They are actually a very good offensive team (terrible defensively) especially considering the amount of goals scored as compared to the rest of the conference.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
sorry dude but that's a great thing! Cause right now he has no one to feed him the puck or has the vision to follow him, so atleast he's producing some offense in a way, once he'l play with Kovy or Koivu again he'l be sitting in front of the net deflecting pucks and putting the rebounds in, he'l add some much need toughness to our top 6 in the near future

I know this, just wanted to point out this point, taking from all the "hypothesis"

-If Stasny has better offensive potential that Lats
-Lats have a better goal-scoring potential that Stasny
-Lats is a better at playmaking than at goalscoring

-I would mean Paul Stasny is a future Top-5 playmaker to put him ahead of Lats, based on offensive potential. I HIGHLY doubt Stasny belongs in this category.

Goldthorpe

Meditating Guru
Jan 22, 2003
Montreal
I haven't much seen Stastny plays so I won't try to compare the two, but I'm so tired of the whole Latendresse/french canadian angle. Latendresse is the real deal, and isn't overated at all. In fact, the habs fans community has been surprisingly low-key about him considering the season he is pulling at 19 without any previous professional experience at all, and also in reaction because we all knew we would be accused to favoritism as soon as we would think of begining to start to call him not a bust. Really, take a look at the Latendresse threads in the habs forum; they are surprisingly conservative if you compare them to other habs prospects and players who have been much, much more hyped in the past.

Does the fact that he is french canadian give him a subconscious advantage in the appraising eyes of the fans? Certainly at some level. But it doesn't mean he's overhyped, the same way that plenty of other players playing for their hometown franchise aren't overhyped because of this either. French canadians aren't more homers than anyone else in that regard.

And also... I agree with the others who are praising Latendresse passing game... that's also what surprised me the most about his play this season. He do these nifty lightning passes that you just don't expect from a player like him. Yea, he's not the most agile player on his stake out there (although his straight away speed is fine), but giving his style of game it's not that important. Oh, and he would IMHO benefit in losing some of this weight.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
I haven't much seen Stastny plays so I won't try to compare the two, but I'm so tired of the whole Latendresse/french canadian angle. Latendresse is the real deal, and isn't overated at all. In fact, the habs fans community has been surprisingly low-key about him considering the season he is pulling at 19 without any previous professional experience at all, and also in reaction because we all knew we would be accused to favoritism as soon as we would think of begining to start to call him not a bust. Really, take a look at the Latendresse threads in the habs forum; they are surprisingly conservative if you compare them to other habs prospects and players who have been much, much more hyped in the past.

Does the fact that he is french canadian give him a subconscious advantage in the appraising eyes of the fans? Certainly at some level. But it doesn't mean he's overhyped, the same way that plenty of other players playing for their hometown franchise aren't overhyped because of this either. French canadians aren't more homers than anyone else in that regard.

And also... I agree with the others who are praising Latendresse passing game... that's also what surprised me the most about his play this season. He do these nifty lightning passes that you just don't expect from a player like him. Yea, he's not the most agile player on his stake out there (although his straight away speed is fine), but giving his style of game it's not that important. Oh, and he would IMHO benefit in losing some of this weight.

Great Post.

I've played against Lats in atom and pee wee, and let's just say he was always a big kid. But he was also a finesse player. He only started sort of using his size in his second year of midget hockey. c. I really don't know how he got labelled as a big time scorer when it's his passing game that's always been his forte. He has great hands to be sure though so us hab fans are pretty pleased with his production so far in the last 25 games or so.

But hey Stastny is a great player too.

Bam Beet*

I know this, just wanted to point out this point, taking from all the "hypothesis"

-If Stasny has better offensive potential that Lats
-Lats have a better goal-scoring potential that Stasny
-Lats is a better at playmaking than at goalscoring

-I would mean Paul Stasny is a future Top-5 playmaker to put him ahead of Lats, based on offensive potential. I HIGHLY doubt Stasny belongs in this category.

:confused: What the hell does that mean? Stastny is no doubt a better playmaker than Latendresse. Stastny sees the ice very well and is a demon behind the net. Latendresse however is probably a better goalscorer but IMO the gap is not as far as Stastny's playmaking to Latendresses which I believe Stastny is superior in.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
:confused: What the hell does that mean? Stastny is no doubt a better playmaker than Latendresse. Stastny sees the ice very well and is a demon behind the net. Latendresse however is probably a better goalscorer but IMO the gap is not as far as Stastny's playmaking to Latendresses which I believe Stastny is superior in.

I just took the hypothesis and facts (Lats is a better playmaker than goalscorer, and saying otherwise just means you're stereotyping him because he's a relatively slow, relatively big, winger who happens to be able to score garbage goals), and came up with a "playmaking potential" for Stasny to be on par with Latendresse, as far as offensive potential is concerned.
Also take in account that Lats was a BIG ZERO in the 13 first games of the year, and that he plays with players that aren't great finishers. Now he plays with a guy who shouldn't be in the NHL (and wouldn't in a non-salary cap world) and a defensemen who has a total of 12 games or so at the wing in his whole life (Token directly from a Streit interview).

Little Nilan

Oct 29, 2006
Praha

Latendresse is as good a playmaker(if not better) as he is a scorer. I don't agree at all with the "no coubt" comment. Especially considering the overwhelming majority of Habs and Avs fan have not seen the other prospect in question and homerism is part of the equation.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
I think right now Stastny is a bit advanced on Latendresse but in a few years Latendresse will have the bigger impact on his hockey team

Bam Beet*

Latendresse is as good a playmaker(if not better) as he is a scorer. I don't agree at all with the "no coubt" comment. Especially considering the overwhelming majority of Habs and Avs fan have not seen the other prospect in question and homerism is part of the equation.

Maybe "no doubt" was a bit extreme however Stastny has elite vision and passing skills. I also believe that Latendresse is a better goalscorer than Stastny. Just because Latendresse is a better playmaker than goalscorer does not make him a better playmaker than Stastny. But why are we arguing? We should both be happy we have 2 wonderful prospects. :bow:

Anyways IMO:

Playmaking: Stastny

Goalscoring: Latendresse

Two-Way play: Stastny

Physicality: Latendresse

I think most of us can agree with that assessment.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->