Stastny for Calder?

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Take into consideration one is 22 and the other is 19. Take into consideration one had to adjust to the NA game while one did not. Take into consideration one has been asked to carry a team from day one and the other hasn't. Both are great young players in their own right but have to look at the 2 and their different situations. Fact is no rookie is in the position of Kopitar. Hes doing what hes doing as the go to guy.

Wow Stastny has blocked a whole 5 shots more than Kopitar and has a difference of 3% winning faceoffs. You think that Kopitar being on one of the worst teams in the league playing more time has an effect on +/-? Also I would hope Stastny has better stats taking into consideration who he gets to play with.

Kopitar is closer to 20 than Stastny is to 22. Kopitar's been 19 for 7 months. Stastny's been 21 for 3.

I don't entirely disagree with the rest of your post, but that had to be said.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
But is he better than... for example Kopitar ?

Don't know, don't care. It has nothing to do with what is being said.

I just don't see this indignations that some Penguins fans showing here. Malkin will win it, but don't you think it's OK to actually have weakness?

I have no idea what you're talking about.

What indignations? And the only Pens fans here I see are fyug and myself saying Malkin is a solid two-way player.

Are you guys getting too cocky?

Why? Because we say Malkin owns an impressive defensive game (which he does)?

Your post is highly confusing.

Last edited:

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
So, how about showing any evidence that he is playing well defensively? It's easier to back up your opinion with something, right?

Malkin's defensive ability is not in doubt. Just because you looked at a few meaningless stats doesn't mean that I, or any other person, needs to dignify your comments with specific examples. I watch Malkin play on a regular basis. He is fine defensively. Early in the year he had some hiccups when he played the point on the PP but that's it. He also hasn't been able to show off his defensive ability to its fullest extent because he's played a lot of wing, an unnatural position for him and one with fewer defensive responsibilities. When he's played center, he's been fantastic.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Kopitar is closer to 20 than Stastny is to 22. Kopitar's been 19 for 7 months. Stastny's been 21 for 3.

I don't entirely disagree with the rest of your post, but that had to be said.

I stand corrected then.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Stastny, Vlasic, Kopitar have been the best players for their teams, as rookies.

What a ridiculous post.

Stastny has NOT been better than Sakic, Vlasic has NOT been better than Thornton, and I'm not sure Kopitar has been better than Frolov or Cammelari, who have been quietly having excellent seasons.

And not that it matters, but none of them would be the best players on Pittsbrugh either.

Sure, Stastny could get a nomination, but I see absolutely no reason that anyone but Malkin should win it. He's like top-15 in NHL scoring, and leads all rookies in goals, assists, points, and game winners. Which is impressive for a guy who doesn't speak english.

Last edited:

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
:shakehead
I wished you can elaborate your argument. Thank you for being grown up about it.
What the hell are you talking about?! Have you read a single word I posted here?

I never said or implied Malkin was a better defensive player than Kopitar. How can I elaborate on an argument I never made in the first place?

I've seen Kopitar play twice this season, so I don't know what kind of defensive game he owns. And I'm sorry, but I don't care, I really don't. So sue me.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
What the hell are you talking about?! Have you read a single word I posted here?

I never said or implied Malkin was a better defensive player than Kopitar. How can I elaborate on an argument I never made in the first place?

I've seen Kopitar play twice this season, so I don't know what kind of defensive game he owns. And I'm sorry, but I don't care, I really don't. So sue me.

Why is he asking you to elaborate on your argument when he hasn't elaborated on his?

NHL33*

Malkin is very good defensively. Just adding my two cents.

I haven't seen him enough to compare him to Kopitar or Stastny, but definitely has a two-way game. He's the complete package.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Malkin won't win the Calder because he loafed at the Young Stars game. Open your eyes people!!!

DRL

Mar 2, 2003
Brampton, Ontario
Malkin GP 61 G 29 A 40 PTS 69 +/- -2 PPG 13 PPP 32 GWG 5 TOI 19:33 PPTOI 5:57 SH TOI :34

Stastny GP 66 G 22 A 40 PTS 62 +/- +2 PPG 8 PPP 26 GWG 4 TOI 17:45 PPTOI 3:27 SH TOI 2:23

They are virtually neck in neck in every category, with stastny playing 5 more games but Malkin playing almost 2 minutes more every game and avg 2 more minutes per game on a deadly pitts powerplay.

There is no way Malkin should already be awarded the Calder with a month still to be played

Subzero

Jul 28, 2006
Colorado
Malkin GP 61 G 29 A 40 PTS 69 +/- -2 PPG 13 PPP 32 GWG 5 TOI 19:33 PPTOI 5:57 SH TOI :34

Stastny GP 66 G 22 A 40 PTS 62 +/- +2 PPG 8 PPP 26 GWG 4 TOI 17:45 PPTOI 3:27 SH TOI 2:23

They are virtually neck in neck in every category, with stastny playing 5 more games but Malkin playing almost 2 minutes more every game and avg 2 more minutes per game on a deadly pitts powerplay.

There is no way Malkin should already be awarded the Calder with a month still to be played

Here on Hfboards, Malkin was given the calder right after he was drafted. No one is even close to him in the race. Sure, guys like Kopitar, Stastny and Staal should all get serious consideration as well for all that they have accomplished, but this award is pretty much about hype, plain and simple. But no matter who wins, the NHL is in pretty good hands for the future with all these guys.

habs1988

Mar 1, 2003
I don't know
Visit site
Take into consideration one is 22 and the other is 19. Take into consideration one had to adjust to the NA game while one did not. Take into consideration one has been asked to carry a team from day one and the other hasn't. Both are great young players in their own right but have to look at the 2 and their different situations. Fact is no rookie is in the position of Kopitar. Hes doing what hes doing as the go to guy.

Wow Stastny has blocked a whole 5 shots more than Kopitar and has a difference of 3% winning faceoffs. You think that Kopitar being on one of the worst teams in the league playing more time has an effect on +/-? Also I would hope Stastny has better stats taking into consideration who he gets to play with.

Take into consideration that Stastny played in the WCHA (College Hockey), so don't tell me that Malkin should have more difficulty to adjust. It's not the same caliber than in the NHL, and Malkin played in the RSL which is a high caliber compare to the College. Take into consideration that Crosby is here, so why has he been asked to carry the team?? Maybe we have asked him when if he was drafted, but this year, we didn't. We asked Crosby. Add to this guys like Staal (who is very impressive), Recchi, Gonchar...you have a very good team as Stastny with Sakic, Hedjuk...

AnThGrt

Feb 13, 2005
Park City, UT
Take into consideration that Stastny played in the WCHA (College Hockey), so don't tell me that Malkin should have more difficulty to adjust. It's not the same caliber than in the NHL, and Malkin played in the RSL which is a high caliber compare to the College. Take into consideration that Crosby is here, so why has he been asked to carry the team?? Maybe we have asked him when if he was drafted, but this year, we didn't. We asked Crosby. Add to this guys like Staal (who is very impressive), Recchi, Gonchar...you have a very good team as Stastny with Sakic, Hedjuk...
He was comparing Kopitar and Stastny. When saying he had to carry the team he was talking about Kopitar not Malkin. Just letting you know

Greeneye

May 17, 2006
Golden, CO
-2 on the season, doesnt play pk, isnt very strong on faceoffs, everyone saw his ass float at the youngstars game, ummm how is he excellent at both ends again?

Oh man was he bad in the young stars game! I hope the Pens keep that in mind when it's contract time. What a disgrace, he really should have played that game like it was game 7 of the SC finals just to show everyone how important a 4 on 4 exhibition game is!

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California
If Malkin doesn't win the Calder, I will be sincerely surprised... I mean, given that he doesn't tank or get injured over the rest of the regular season.

I agree. For anyone else to win the Calder, Malkin would have to tank or get injured, and someone else would actually have to step up their play as well.

I don't think any of Malkin, Stastny, or Kopitar carry their teams, either. Crosby carries Pittsburgh, Sakic carries Colorado, and Cammalleri and Frolov carry LA. I do agree that all three rookies are key impact players for their teams, though.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
I have my doubts Stastny will be a finalist or and all-rookie, he lacks exposure in the East and got snubbed on the young stars game.

Roman Tanner

Aug 5, 2005
Mgmt. Excuseville
I have my doubts Stastny will be a finalist or and all-rookie, he lacks exposure in the East and got snubbed on the young stars game.

Which would raise an interesting trivia question.

Since the introduction of the Young Stars game, has anyone ever not played in the game and gone on to win the Calder ?

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto

They're not neck and neck though. Pro-rated over an 82 game schedual Stastny has scored at a 79 point pace, while Malkin has scored at a 92 point pace. That's a big difference. Even though he's missed 5 games, Malkin is still among the elite forwards in the league in terms of offence (he's around top-15 right now).

Karamazov

Mar 6, 2002
Edmonton
Visit site
Just adding my thoughts on the two way game as an unbiased observer. I've seen Malkin play numerous times, and was actually impressed by his defensive responsibility. IMHO he isn't deficient or weak in this category at all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad