Stastny for Calder?

Burnaby_Joe*

Stastny will get some consideration, but Malkin will win.

Stastny doesn't play on a line with Sakic.

DRL

Mar 2, 2003
Brampton, Ontario
it is really starting to get interesting though, with paul's long point game streak, which is very close to breaking teemu's rookie record, and malkin and the pens sorta slumping offensivly, i think the race is as close as it was last year with crosby and AO, there is still lots of games to be played.

Bam Beet*

I think the original quote was meant in a general sense not just based on the almighty statistics. And it's absolutely right- Malkin and Kopitar are much better than Stastny.

Malkin yes. But what makes Kopitar better than Stastny? Defence? Nope, Stastny is so sound positionally and blocks more shots than Kopitar. Faceoffs? Stastny has a 48.7% and Kopitar is 45.8%. Stastny is a plus 2 while Kopitar is a minus 9. Taking into consideration all these factors and the fact that Stastny has more points then Kopitar while averaging almost 3 minutes less per game and the fact that I've seen both play numerous times I must say Stastny is better than Kopitar.

DRL

Mar 2, 2003
Brampton, Ontario
I think the original quote was meant in a general sense not just based on the almighty statistics. And it's absolutely right- Malkin and Kopitar are much better than Stastny.

sorry, last time i checked the calder went to the rookie who had "the best rookie season", not who has the most potential to be the better player. in the year 2007 stastny has been by far the best rookie in the nhl. malkin has cooled considerably and kopitar is no doubt not going to finish the winner or runner-up anymore. stastny is on the verge of tying the record for longest point streak by a rookie.

unlike malkin, stastny plays an amazing 2-way game and as the season has worn on, is getting more ice-time in all situations.

like i said long ways to go, and if this calendar year is any indication stastny is slowly taking over the race for the calder!

Mules

Jan 28, 2004
Oh get real. Statsny isnt close to Malkin and Kops...

Skillwise, yes. Paul is not close to either Malkin or Kops. But, he is steady, composed with lots of maturity. You don't get into 16 games point streaks by being the most skilled players. You get it by being consistent.

DRL

Mar 2, 2003
Brampton, Ontario
-2 on the season, doesnt play pk, isnt very strong on faceoffs, everyone saw his ass float at the youngstars game, ummm how is he excellent at both ends again?

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
-2 on the season

Please. +/- doesn't make a difference, the only way to judge a players defensive aptitude is to watch him play. Don't give me a neutral +/- figure and try and pass it off to discredit Malkin's two-way game.

doesnt play pk

So what?

isnt very strong on faceoffs

He's getting better. Although considering faceoffs are taken in all three zones, I don't know how someone can look at somebody's faceoff percentage and make a claim about his defensive game.

everyone saw his ass float at the youngstars game, ummm how is he excellent at both ends again?

Oh, give me a break. This part will confirm to everyone that you have no argument whatsoever.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
Stastny is destroying even the most optimistic projections for his rookie season, and he's making history to boot. It would be ridiculous for him not to get recognition. The actual trophy? No. One of the three nominees? Absolutley. The only reason not to call him one of the top three rookies is because his game isn't as sexy as some of the other rooks, and this ain't American Idol folks.

DRL

Mar 2, 2003
Brampton, Ontario
Please. +/- doesn't make a difference, the only way to judge a players defensive aptitude is to watch him play. Don't give me a neutral +/- figure and try and pass it off to discredit Malkin's two-way game.

So what?

He's getting better. Although considering faceoffs are taken in all three zones, I don't know how someone can look at somebody's faceoff percentage and make a claim about his defensive game.

Oh, give me a break. This part will confirm to everyone that you have no argument whatsoever.

i made 4 points why he isnt an "excellent" 2-way player, he may be average at best, please outline how he is an "excellent" 2-way player?

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
i made 4 points why he isnt an "excellent" 2-way player, he may be average at best, please outline how he is an "excellent" 2-way player?

You made four irrelevant points that have nothing to do with Malkin's two-way play. Maybe you should watch him play instead of looking at his +/- and drawing conclusions.

Coug555

Aug 3, 2005
My prospect is better than your prospect! Get real guys. Kopi, Stastny and Malkin all have a great shot at Calder and all have a great all around game. Malkin will win it though there isn't a doubt. Everyone should stop bickering.

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Because he gets back there and positions himself properly, he plays like a third defenseman. Its that simple.

And those four points of yours were immaterial.

Cite specific examples of Malkin's alleged lack of defensive game. If you mention the youngstars game, then you'll just be re-affirming how much you're full of it.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Malkin yes. But what makes Kopitar better than Stastny? Defence? Nope, Stastny is so sound positionally and blocks more shots than Kopitar. Faceoffs? Stastny has a 48.7% and Kopitar is 45.8%. Stastny is a plus 2 while Kopitar is a minus 9. Taking into consideration all these factors and the fact that Stastny has more points then Kopitar while averaging almost 3 minutes less per game and the fact that I've seen both play numerous times I must say Stastny is better than Kopitar.

Take into consideration one is 22 and the other is 19. Take into consideration one had to adjust to the NA game while one did not. Take into consideration one has been asked to carry a team from day one and the other hasn't. Both are great young players in their own right but have to look at the 2 and their different situations. Fact is no rookie is in the position of Kopitar. Hes doing what hes doing as the go to guy.

Wow Stastny has blocked a whole 5 shots more than Kopitar and has a difference of 3% winning faceoffs. You think that Kopitar being on one of the worst teams in the league playing more time has an effect on +/-? Also I would hope Stastny has better stats taking into consideration who he gets to play with.

Mules

Jan 28, 2004
You made four irrelevant points that have nothing to do with Malkin's two-way play. Maybe you should watch him play instead of looking at his +/- and drawing conclusions.

So, how about showing any evidence that he is playing well defensively? It's easier to back up your opinion with something, right?

Mules

Jan 28, 2004
Because he gets back there and positions himself properly, he plays like a third defenseman. Its that simple.

And those four points of yours were immaterial.

Cite specific examples of Malkin's alleged lack of defensive game. If you mention the youngstars game, then you'll just be re-affirming how much you're full of it.

But is he better than... for example Kopitar ? Playing in PK showed that you are good defensively. Any coach will NOT put someone who aren't good in defending to play PK.

And what is wrong with some rookies not good defensively? It takes time to actually play well two dimensionally. Some good veterans are still awful on defense.

I just don't see this indignations that some Penguins fans showing here. Malkin will win it, but don't you think it's OK to actually have weakness?

Are you guys getting too cocky?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->