Starting to worry...

Status
Not open for further replies.

eddywatson

Mar 15, 2005
England
www.othockey.com
ok now im starting to worry that the 05/06 season wont start on time, this is taking ages to sort out, i was thinkig a few months ago that everything should be ok and sorted, but it still isnt, and with only a few months to go until kick off everything looks to be in doubt :cry: :cry: :cry:

Anybody else starting to worry? :dunno:

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
eddywatson said:
ok now im starting to worry that the 05/06 season wont start on time, this is taking ages to sort out, i was thinkig a few months ago that everything should be ok and sorted, but it still isnt, and with only a few months to go until kick off everything looks to be in doubt :cry: :cry: :cry:

Not at all, all signs clearly point to a deal. The NHLPA has given up its will to fight, the framework is mostly in place, the NHL teams are hiring staff again, the NHLPA dropped it's union certification case and the CBA is being drafted day by day as we speak.

There is no chance this isn't done within a few weeks, likely sooner.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
eddywatson said:

I deal will be struck 99% before July 15th...dont worry. Ive seen nothing in the past month to say otherwise.

x-bob

Jul 9, 2004
Montreal
eddywatson said:

I"m almost positive that that the saeason will start on time. I'm starting to worry that in a week this is gonne be the Headline in the Media. "NBA signs, NHL heading in their 10th month" :amazed: If that happens then we will really look like idiots.

Benji Frank

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
If lawyers weren't so prominent int he room, I'd be worried too. But at this stage, it seems they're just proceeding with caution. I'd venture to guess they're taking so long right now, 'cuz they want the gist of this deal to be such that this situation never happens again ... 5 or 6 years from now, hopefully all they'll need is some finetuning to extend the agreement...... last time, they rushed ti and for whatever reason extended it without a whole lot of foresight. That won't happen again.....

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
There's all the time in the world.

It's not like the offseason is normally a cramped one. Nothing happens in August. Pretty much every UFA is signed and most of the GMs are on vacation.

We'll just see a lot of the action that normally happens in June/July pushed back to July/August.

As everyone else has said, a deal will be coming sooner rather than later.

johnny cool

Feb 19, 2004
whenever they announce the new CBA, they'll hold the draft the following saturday and sunday in NYC more like the NFL draft (much smaller room, etc), then free agency will begin the following week.

so, for the sake of argument, say this doesn't get nailed down until July 15th.. the draft will be the 23rd and 24th, then free agency starts the 30th. minicamps can still start for teams with a lot of guys under contract by the 2nd week of august easily.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
its taking forever and i'm starting to wonder what exactly they are talking about, but as long as they keep meeting and continue to stay away from making it a PR battle its a good sign. get worried when you see "meeting has ended and the sides have no plans to talk again"

Tekneek

Nov 28, 2004
I'm hoping for a new CBA signed and delivered before the end of June. If that happens, the usual offseason 'schedule' won't have to be cramped.

Hi-wayman

Feb 28, 2002
Surrey
Visit site
eddywatson said:

Yes, I'm starting to worry too! With all this talk that the NHL & NHLPA might be close to settling their disagreements, here in Vancouver it's putting a damper on our campaign to ban hockey throughout British Columbia & legislate lawn bowling as our Provincial sport instead.

octopi

Dec 29, 2004
eddywatson said:

I'm beyond worry and into despair, which started around March of last year. After all the false alarms about "this'll be done any day now", I'll believe it when I see it.

saskhab

May 12, 2004
Saskatoon
www.puckworlds.com
ryanlambert said:
whenever they announce the new CBA, they'll hold the draft the following saturday and sunday in NYC more like the NFL draft (much smaller room, etc), then free agency will begin the following week.

so, for the sake of argument, say this doesn't get nailed down until July 15th.. the draft will be the 23rd and 24th, then free agency starts the 30th. minicamps can still start for teams with a lot of guys under contract by the 2nd week of august easily.
Maybe they'll have the draft lotto within a week of the agreement, but I still think that if there is a 2 month or more off-season, they'll make the draft a real event and put it off until the mid-point of the offseason.

Maybe they'll spend the first 2 or 3 weeks trying to figure out what the hell just got signed to and how it'll effect their teambuilding for the off-season. It'll be a crazy summer. I expect this thing done before the end of June. There seems very little that can hold this up much longer. The ratification process will hopefully be very quick, but who knows.

Malo

Dec 14, 2004
saskhab said:
Maybe they'll have the draft lotto within a week of the agreement, but I still think that if there is a 2 month or more off-season, they'll make the draft a real event and put it off until the mid-point of the offseason.

Maybe they'll spend the first 2 or 3 weeks trying to figure out what the hell just got signed to and how it'll effect their teambuilding for the off-season. It'll be a crazy summer. I expect this thing done before the end of June. There seems very little that can hold this up much longer. The ratification process will hopefully be very quick, but who knows.

the draft will not be before the start of aug., tsn.ca says that they have set aug. 6 as the new day for the draft

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=128189

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
I am starting to worry as well. I have no confidence that either side can get this done in the next few weeks. It will continue to be "another 2 weeks" every week. Then August will be here.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
flambers said:
I am starting to worry as well. I have no confidence that either side can get this done in the next few weeks. It will continue to be "another 2 weeks" every week. Then August will be here.
I just can't see that at all. These meetings without a press release every time
are exactly what was needed,it shouldn't be seen as a bad sign at all.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
ryanlambert said:

The draft right now is scheduled for August 6. You wouldn't be right. They have to fly in a bunch of the prospects as well and get them set up in hotels and such. The draft isn't something that is put together overnight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad