Starting Six: Washington Capitals All-Time Lineup

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I'd take Stevens over Johansson and Gartner over Bondra.

Ah screw I got time. All time team for fun:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Gartner
Semin-Maruk-Bondra
Gustafsson-Oates-Ridley
Christian-Kuznetsov-Hunter
Carpenter

Langway-Johansson
Stevens-Green
Hatcher-Gonchar
Murphy

Holtby
Kolzig

Last edited:

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I'd take Mike Green at his peak over both Langway and Johansson but I understand that Green doesn't have anywhere near the same longevity.

Kolzig and Holtby is kind of a toss-up for me too.

Forwards look good.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I'd take Stevens over Johansson and Gartner over Bondra.

Ah screw I got time. All time team for fun:

Ovechkin-Backstrom-Gartner
Semin-Maruk-Bondra
Gustafsson-Oates-Ridley
Christian-Kuznetsov-Hunter
Carpenter

Langway-Johansson
Stevens-Green
Hatcher-Gonchar
Murphy

Holtby
Kolzig

I know we all hate him (well, I don't), but you can't have an all time forwards that played for the Caps and not include Jagr. Federov too. Maybe Ciccareli. There are so many forwards, we will need to leave off some really really good players. Esa Tikkannen, Dave Poulin, Dave Christian, Bobby Carpenter, Michael Pivonka, etc etc

Can't forget Phil Housley on defense. Wasn't great as a cap, but guy is an all time great. Al Iafrate and Sylvain Cote were terrific defensemen. Obviously Hatcher and also Tinordi.

Ovechkin - Oates - Jagr
Semin - Backstrom - Gartner
Gustafsson - Maruk - Bondra
Kuznetsov - Federov - Ridley
Hunter - Ciccarelli

Langway - Green
Stevens - Johnasson
Murphy - Gonchar
Housley

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I know we all hate him (well, I don't), but you can't have an all time forwards that played for the Caps and not include Jagr. Federov too. Maybe Ciccareli. There are so many forwards, we will need to leave off some really really good players. Esa Tikkannen, Dave Poulin, Dave Christian, Bobby Carpenter, Michael Pivonka, etc etc

Can't forget Phil Housley on defense. Wasn't great as a cap, but guy is an all time great. Al Iafrate and Sylvain Cote were terrific defensemen. Obviously Hatcher and also Tinordi.

Ovechkin - Oates - Jagr
Hunter - Ciccarelli

Langway - Green
Stevens - Johnasson
Murphy - Gonchar
Housley

I feel like there should a minimum number of games required, that's why I left off Jagr, also you just chose Fedorov because of his name, but he wasn't that good in his time here.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Fedorov was great in 2008-09. Didn't put up a ton of points and was injured frequently but he was probably their best driver of possession (60% CF and FF with very neutral zone starts).

Jose Theodore made that team look much worse defensively than they actually were. Boudreau in general is a good defensive coach (look at his team in ANA and MIN) but his time in Washington was marred by some really, really bad goaltending. Kolzig, Johnson, Theodore, Neuvirth, Varlamov, etc. isn't exactly a murderers row of solid goaltending.

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I feel like there should a minimum number of games required, that's why I left off Jagr, also you just chose Fedorov because of his name, but he wasn't that good in his time here.

Jagr played 2.5 seasons in DC (almost as much as Kuz), so not sure what metric you are using for minimum games?

Federov certainly played his best in Russia and then Detroit. Again, I'm lost on your metrics. If it's "all time greatest Capitals"...witnessed by their play in DC, the you have to include Pivonka. He's top 10 in also off all statistical categories.

I look at is as greatest players to don the Caps colours. Hence my list.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
SOP whenever this annual thread appears - the all time goon line

Berube Hunter May
Stevens Holt
Riggin

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Ovechkin - Oates - Jagr
Hunter - Ciccarelli

Langway - Green
Stevens - Johnasson
Murphy - Gonchar
Housley

This is the all offensive team except for Langway??

Knowing the roles that a real team has and the all times at all the important things....and not playing centers on the wings

Ovechkin Backstrom Bondra
Semin/Courtnall Oates Gartner
Konowalchuk Hunter Dahlen
Kelly Miller Fedorov Brashear

Langway Green
Stevens Murphy
Tinordi Johansson

Kolzig
Holtby

Couldn't remember a legit 4th line center.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Chris Simon, Donald Brashesr, Neil Sheehy, John Kordic (7 GP, 101 PM's).

Lesser lights Lou Franceschetti, Enrico Ciccone. Kevin Kaminski.....

Some other randoms... Kypreos, Ed Kastelic, Tinordi, Rob Murray, Jim Thomson, Bob Rouse.

Honorable Mentions, Bobby Gould and Alex Semin

DunningKruger

Aug 31, 2017
The Swamp
How about the Wild Thing? 3 1/2 very crazy years with the caps. Iafrate would be erfectly at home with the all offence or the crasher banger team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad