Start a division in Europe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam Slick*

You know, one of the main problems I see is revenue sharing. Everything seems to come from it. Get rid of 6 teams that suck and relocate them to Europe in a 6 division league where hockey actually flourishes. There would be much more revenue for all those involved and the Canadian teams and NYR would not have to share to keep those 6 deep south teams afloat.

I would have no problem saying good bye to the yotes, panthers, lightning, huricanes to start. Put those teams in Sweden, Czech, Slovakia, Finland and 2 more teams in Germany and Switzerland. All those teams would be boom revenue teams.

Who would be the other 2 teams to kiss good bye? Or, we can just get rid of the four I mentioned and keep the rest.

Fans would go insane for NHL in Europe. There would be instant rivalry's. Finland and Sweden hate each other as well as the Czech Republic and Slovakia. Germany and Switzerland also do not like each other much.

Jerkini

May 31, 2003
Visit site
Players in the west already complain about travel times. Not to mention the time zone difference. It's a terrible idea imo.

Sam Slick*

Players in the west already complain about travel times. Not to mention the time zone difference. It's a terrible idea imo.

Actually, there would be very little travel time if the NHL put 12 teams there. The NHL will eventually be there anyway.

Germany 2 teams. Munich and Berlin
Sweden 2 teams
Finland 2 teams
Switzerland 1 team
France 1 team
England 1 team.
Czech Rep 1 team
Slovakia 1 team
Then maybe a team in either France or Italy.

So, 2 divisions that play each other and only one N American tour per year. One division plays the eastern conferance one year and the other division plays the west the same year and then switch the following year.

I remember Bettman talked about it about 10 years ago.

Ps. and to tell you the truth, I don't really give a rats ass about these millionaire babies complaining about travel time.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
So when the games take place in Europe, do they start at 1 a.m. Europe time to accommodate fans in Canada, or do they start at 7 p.m. to accommodate European fans? Both are terrible because you either have games on at 1 a.m. (in Europe) or 1 p.m. (in Canada), not exactly prime times to attract viewers.

Hurt

Apr 6, 2009
This thread may be better suited for NHL Talk as it doesn't directly relate to the Toronto Maple Leafs or the city of Toronto.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad