Pre-Game Talk: Stars @ Wings | 3pm on Sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Will be interesting to see if Glendening can be as effective checking bigger players in Seguin and especially Benn. Different ballpark entirely from Johnson in TB. Assuming he even plays them.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
So glad Greener's back! WE definately need him for this one. If we just had Datsyuk back already, I'd feel more comfortble. I hope Green is paired with Kronwall again. Seemed they were good together, complimenting each other's play. Guaranteed if Green didn't get hurt we would have won that game against Calgary.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
I wouldn't mind another 7 goal effort like last year. That sure was one of the more memorable regular season games this team has had in a while.

Dallas Offense > Detroit Offense

Detroit Defense > Dallas Defense (surprisingly)

Detroit goaltending > Dallas goaltending

Should be a good game. Mrazek/Howard is going to need to stand on his head probably.

Their defense beats us slam dunk when it comes to offense, and surprise surprise Dallas spends a lot of time playing offense. Have to make them play D to get that advantage.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
Their defense beats us slam dunk when it comes to offense, and surprise surprise Dallas spends a lot of time playing offense. Have to make them play D to get that advantage.

Is there D really that much better offesnively than ours? I'm not so sure.

Klingberg is Dallas' only 40pt + dman. Detroit has two with Green and Kronner. Golo is pretty good and that's about it when it comes to offensive talent on the blueline for the Stars. Demers is off to a good start but he's been nothing more than a 20pt dman basically (sans 2013).

Kronwall, Green > Klingberg, Golo

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
I havent seen Stars play but if they stay true to themselves I think it will turn out to be a good game for Wings fans. well at least I'm hoping it would be.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
Make no mistake, the Stars are a 1 line team. You need to control Benn and Seguin. They have 20 and 21 points respectively. Next closest forward has 12. Minimize their chances and you're in good shape. Discipline is key, as the Dallas powerplay is hovering over 28%. Don't play with that fire.

I'd imagine they'll match up Zetterberg and Larkin against them whenever possible. Should be fun to see how the kid handles shadowing Benn most of the day.

That 12 points is 12 in 14 games, FYI.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I do feel like Spezza plays well against us, so not sure the one line theme is true. What we need to do is get at their God awful D. Keep them to the perimeter and counter as good as Dallas is offensively they are that bad in their own end and in particular in transition defense.

Still a very flawed team if you look at them in a bigger picture sense. They should roll up points in the regular season, but I would be kind of surprised if they get out of the first round this year, because of some of the issues they have.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I'm not too hopeful here. They're 8-2 in their last 10 and with our ability to get stuck in the defensive zone and their high-powered offense we could easily get into pretty bad trouble against them. Benn and Seguin are hard to stop and they've also got Spezza, Janmark (all ex-Wings seem to score against us, expect him to do it) and some good offense from their D.

Will be perhaps the biggest challenge yet for our defense and goaltending. We really need to try and play as much as possible in the Dallas zone because that's where they are vulnerable.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Is there D really that much better offesnively than ours? I'm not so sure.

Klingberg is Dallas' only 40pt + dman. Detroit has two with Green and Kronner. Golo is pretty good and that's about it when it comes to offensive talent on the blueline for the Stars. Demers is off to a good start but he's been nothing more than a 20pt dman basically (sans 2013).

Kronwall, Green > Klingberg, Golo

35 points vs 18 this season, and that's basically what's relevant for the time being. Twice as much. Our top D has four(4) points!

hyduK

Feb 21, 2009
Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 16m16 minutes ago
Wings have called up forward Andreas Athanasiou from Grand Rapids. He'll make NHL debut today vs. Dallas.

sean3250

Feb 7, 2015
I'm not too hopeful here. They're 8-2 in their last 10 and with our ability to get stuck in the defensive zone and their high-powered offense we could easily get into pretty bad trouble against them. Benn and Seguin are hard to stop and they've also got Spezza, Janmark (all ex-Wings seem to score against us, expect him to do it) and some good offense from their D.

Will be perhaps the biggest challenge yet for our defense and goaltending. We really need to try and play as much as possible in the Dallas zone because that's where they are vulnerable.

He's drastically cooled off since his 4pts in 5 games. Seems similar to Jarnkrok who had 9 pts in his first 12 games never to be seen again. Probably gonna be the same fate for Janmark.

And we did sweep Dallas last year. Their team is not that good. Benn, Seguin, and Klingberg are the whole team basically. Lehtonen/Niemi ain't nothing special at all. Their D is trash at actually playing defense. They basically run and gun themselves to victory most nights. Easy 1st round exit once they reach the playoffs when they can't run and gun themselves to victory each night. Their PP% is bound to regress. Terrible PK numbers to boot.

Detroit can definitely lose this game, but they should win this, IMO. I'd be pretty disappointed with a loss although it wouldn't surprise me.

35 points vs 18 this season, and that's basically what's relevant for the time being. Twice as much. Our top D has four(4) points!

Fair enough. The D hasn't been good in either facets this year that's for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad