stars that disappointed in the NHL

Wetcoaster

Krutov's lack of conditioning is well documented. One teammate recalls how he rigged up a Ferrid Bueller-like contraption in his room so he didn't have to get out of bed to turn off the light. He stopped at 7-11 (or whatever convienience store is in BC) before and after practice and bought junk food and Big Gulps of soda. He was also nicknamed Vladimir "Crouton".
Urban legend. Repeat it long ehough as the gullible repeat it as fact.

The story is usually attributed to Jim Sandlak and it goes that Krutov did this while living with Sandlak. Problem is that as was well-documented at the time Krutov had been installed in his own apartment rented for him by the Canucks.

Lack of coinditioning is only well-documented if you are Burkie or Quinn and to use a well-known Burke observation - "It was another drug-induced media fantasy". The Canucks tried the lack of conditioning shtick and also the Krutov was drunk gambit to try to avoid Krutov's contract and paying his transfer fee. Neither charge had any substance hence the award against the Canucks. When it came time to put up or shut up before an arbitrator, the Canucks turtled.

Wetcoaster

Why didn't Krutov play for anybody afterwards then?

He did.

That was another Pat Quinn whopper. As I have said you have to quit believing what Quinn and/or Burkie claim about the affaire de Krutov as it simply is not true.

Quinn tried to claim that Krutov did not play after leaving Vancouver. At the arbitration he had to admit he was wrong when challenged. The Canucks had fed that line to a pet reporter, Elliot Pap, who was called on it by Krutov's legal counsel and had to print a retraction.

That portion of the transcript was published in the Vancouver Province. Does the term "weasel" seem fitting?
Wittchen: Additionally you indicated that it was your evidence that Krutov is no longer playing.

Quinn: That is what I have heard. I really don't know the status of Krutov at this time.

Wittchen: May I suggest to you that probably came from another story by Elliott Pap in which he was quoting Larionov saying Krutov had been cut by the Swiss team.

Quinn: You can suggest that but I don't know . . .

Wittchen: In fact I will suggest to you that a retraction to that was printed by Pap where he indicated that Krutov was still playing Switzerland, are you aware of that?

Quinn: No.

Quinn apparently was not aware of much of anything if you take his testimony at face value - the arbitrator did not and found Quinn's explanations to "lack credibility" - polite judicial language for lying through your teeth. Hence the the award against the Canucks.

However given Quinn's past history and multiple ethical lapses, (e.g. Quinngate) that came back to haunt him during the arbitration when he stupidly put his own character into issue (aided and abetted by that able litigator and fellow law grad, Brian Burke), why would that be any great surprise?

Facts have an inconvenient way of getting in the way of the Canucks' story line it seems.

Heat McManus

Nov 27, 2003
Alexandria, VA
He did.

That was another Pat Quinn whopper. As I have said you have to quit believing what Quinn and/or Burkie claim about the affaire de Krutov as it simply is not true.

Quinn tried to claim that Krutov did not play after leaving Vancouver. At the arbitration he had to admit he was wrong when challenged. The Canucks had fed that line to a pet reporter, Elliot Pap, who was called on it by Krutov's legal counsel and had to print a retraction.

That portion of the transcript was published in the Vancouver Province. Does the term "weasel" seem fitting?

Quinn apparently was not aware of much of anything if you take his testimony at face value - the arbitrator did not and found Quinn's explanations to "lack credibility" - polite judicial language for lying through your teeth. Hence the the award against the Canucks.

However given Quinn's past history and multiple ethical lapses, (e.g. Quinngate) that came back to haunt him during the arbitration when he stupidly put his own character into issue (aided and abetted by that able litigator and fellow law grad, Brian Burke), why would that be any great surprise?

Facts have an inconvenient way of getting in the way of the Canucks' story line it seems.

While I don't doubt Quinn is a bit of a suspicious character I've been reading that during the season fans and players made comments about his fitness level. It's been noted he showed up out of shape and never recovered.

I don't really see how Quinn's testimony discredits the story about Krutov being out of shape.

I can't find anything on Krutov playing in a Swiss league (definately not the Swiss-A Div.) after leaving the Canucks. I'm not doubting the testimony, just trying to find out who he played for.

Last edited:

Wetcoaster

While I don't doubt Quinn is a bit of a suspicious character I've been reading that during the season fans and players made comments about his fitness level. It's been noted he showed up out of shape and never recovered.

I don't really see how Quinn's testimony discredits the story about Krutov being out of shape.

I can't find anything on Krutov playing in a Swiss league (definately not the Swiss-A Div.) after leaving the Canucks. I'm not doubting the testimony, just trying to find out who he played for.
The Canucks tried to run the lack of conditioning at two arbitrations and lost both times when put to the proof. You have to quit believing the media as the Canucks were feeding stories in an attempt to weasel out of the contracts - unsuccessfully.

Quinn pulled a similar stunt with Bure. He fed a story to his pet reporters that Bure was going to hold out during the 1994 play-offs unless he got a new contract.

It was untrue and Quinn finally had to admit publicly that it never happened. Quinn tried to blame the media which was hilarious since it was Quinn who had been feeding the stories to the media. As reported in the Vancouver Province:
After the 1994 playoffs, Salcer, Bure, Quinn and then-Canucks owner Arthur Griffiths got together and denied that Bure had threatened to withdraw his services if he wasn't rewarded with his present contract

Quinn and Burke (and later McPhee) were great for saying to players (and agents) let's not negotiate in the media and then BOOM out comes a media story fed by the Canucks. This happened with Petr Nedved and Burkie pulled the exact same stunt with Umberger and really ticked of Umberger and his agent Brian Lawton

After leaving Vancouver Krutov played two seasons for Zurcher SC, then in Sweden and in Russia in 1994-95with the Nizhny Novgorod Torpedo playing with Sergei Makharov, his old linemate from the KLM glory days where he was tied for second in goals on the team before returning to Sweden for one more season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pfft

Aug 21, 2006
Two more days until the debut of a potential, if unlikely, candidate.

Well first off, the sausage portion of a North American hotdog was readily availble in abudance throughout the Soviet Union; one could even find a traditional sausage-in-a-bun variation that somewhat resembled a true 7/11 hotdog (although these were never a popular food and therefore weren't sold all over the place). Secondly, although hotdogs are generally disgusting and unhealthy no matter the country where they are manufactured (I prefer Russian hotdogs personally, but would generally avoid eating a hotdog in either hemisphere)... I would certainly take a hotdog over a bowl of borscht. Not that Krutov really had to eat it, but borscht is absolutely vile stuff as far as I'm concerned.

1) I take it you hate beets.

2) If you're equating it with sausage, perhaps you just have a different definition of the word "hot dog"--I'm thinking of one of these:

2003-08-15-03.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad