GDT: Stars@Leafs 7 PM SN

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
Part of me wonders how accurate that is. There is such a narrative about how they come out hungry after a loss if they win or it's the start of a slump if they lose but how often does a bad or great day at work affect your next day? I mean that's what this is to players, they may love hockey but it's still a job.

I think it's seriously overblown, it's another one of those things people just like to say I think. Much like the most dangerous lead in hockey, a two goal lead is objectively safer than a one goal lead.
I agree with this. Every team wants to win every game! Does that happen? Ofcourse not! But that is the goal. Whether you play on back-to-back nights should not matter. Dallas is also fighting to stay in playoffs so they should definitely be hungry to win this game. Rest is on our side, as long as we come out to start the game on-time and get a few early - that should put them out of their misery. Their legs will also feel very heavy starting in the 3rd period. I give us the edge in this game, being home helps as well! We just gotta shutdown the Benn-Seguin-Radulov line and keep Klingberg in check. Definitely do-able.

Looking for big games from Nylander, Kadri, and Rielly.

54thecup

keep on rockin the free world!
Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
I've been a big fan of Komarov throughout his years here. This year, however its clear he has lost a step or maybe was too distracted with the birth of his child. He has looked much better as of late (last few games) than he was pretty much all year. He is good on the PK, but if that's all he brings I am sure we have someone who can replace him for next year who can bring more than one tool. Hopefully he goes full "Handlebar Leo Komarov" in the playoffs! I miss that Leo!

No doubt Leo has been very ineffective in the first half of the year offensively! Players go thru periods like this and some come out of it! Hey we could have went after Saad, many thought he could be the answer and what do you do when you commit to that contract?

Leo is in the right spot now, a 4th liner who will be used often in other key defensive situations! Unless we can steal Tom Wilson's clone, Leo may well be worth 2x2 to keep until Grunstrom and company show us they can play this role on the Leafs.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Would be nice to win this one. Not a whole lot left to play for, so playing the role of spoiler against Dallas would be awesome.

We’re rested and they’re coming from Montreal after a loss last night.

frog

Apr 8, 2014
Canada
My proof is how he makes lines that he's on black holes possession wise the hire he's in the line-up. Not much of a defensive help when he's one of the biggest reasons you spend most of your time in your own zone with him.

Komarov on any spot other than the 4th line is a bad look.

Completely false the exact reason he is valuable is because komarov is the guy that gets the puck out of our zone. You can criticize his offense but c'mon i dont think you actually believe he is the reason we cant get out of our zone? I hate the untrue exaggeration of the deficiencies of our players

Reactions: 54thecup

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Any word on Matthews? I know he won't be in tonight, thinking more about Saturday. Also who designs these schedules these long breaks and three games in four nights are atrocious.
The league creates the schedule with input from the Teams.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Would be nice to win this one. Not a whole lot left to play for, so playing the role of spoiler against Dallas would be awesome.

Dallas has been on a gradual slide too.

The West playoff race is a good one. Only 3 teams have really cemented their spot, with 7-8 teams jockeying for both divisional and/or Wild Card spots. And as it stands, not one particularly team is heating up down the stretch. A lot of so-so records in their last 10.

54thecup

Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
The league creates the schedule with input from the Teams.

Our problem is the ACC is one of the most utilized facilities in the NHL. Because of the number of exception dates we give the NHL, we continue to get shitty schedules.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Our problem is the ACC is one of the most utilized facilities in the NHL. Because of the number of exception dates we give the NHL, we continue to get ****ty schedules.

Also because Toronto is a marquee team for TV ratings, they basically have to play almost every Saturday night. That can bugger up scheduling as well. I was amazed when I moved to Calgary, seeing how many Saturday night's they play compared to Toronto - same with Edmonton.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Our problem is the ACC is one of the most utilized facilities in the NHL. Because of the number of exception dates we give the NHL, we continue to get ****ty schedules.

I thought there schedule has been good this year. Lots of games when they're fresh at the beginning of the year, lighter schedule at the end when they are tired.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Was wondering how the Kadri-Marner line was doing defensively and these are the numbers I've compiled from natural stat trick comparing it to the Kadri-Komarov line.

Even strength on ice stats

Oct 4th - Jan 23rd

Kadri
47 games
24 goals against
0.51 goals against per game
125 high danger chances against
2.65 HDCA

Marleau
49 games
39 goals against
128 high danger chances against
2.61 HDCA

Komarov
49 games
26 goals against
0.53 goals against per game
126 high danger chances against
2.57 HDCA

Marner
49 games played
33 goals against
0.67 goals against per game
91 high danger chances against
1.85 HDCA

Jan 24st-March 14th

Kadri
20 games played
19 goals against
0.95 goals against per game
78 high danger chances against
3.9 HDCA

Marleau
20 games played
16 goals against
0.8 goals against per game
75 high danger chances against
3.75 HDCA

Komarov
20 games played
8 goals against
0.4 goals against per game
41 high danger chances against
2.05 HDCA

Marner
20 games played
15 goals against
0.75 goals against per game
66 high danger chances against
3.3 HDCA

So this is all without the context of the quality of their opponents. I don't really know how or where to get into that stuff.

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
He seems like a guy who could go into coaching once his playing career is done.

I didn't go back far enough to see who originally posted this, but thanks. Not often you get to see an interview that allows a player more than just the sound bite reply.

Forgot to add the vid (I hope this works), recommended.

Last edited:

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Not a lot to play for in terms of the standings, that's true. We should still be playing hard though and fine tuning everything so that we're a well-oiled machine when the playoffs start, and definitely not just mailing it in. Dallas lost the lowly Canadiens last night so yeah, we should be huge favourites to take them down on home ice on the second night of their back-to-back.

54thecup

Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
I thought there schedule has been good this year. Lots of games when they're fresh at the beginning of the year, lighter schedule at the end when they are tired.

Yes you're right that we have a very good sched going forward.

We still have had 14-5 b2b's vs competition this year and still have 2 more and only tonight catch a team on their b2b.

Onwards and upwards!! We have overcome the tuff part of our sched and can be fairy healthy heading to the playoffs,,, right?? fingers crossed:)

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Completely false the exact reason he is valuable is because komarov is the guy that gets the puck out of our zone. You can criticize his offense but c'mon i dont think you actually believe he is the reason we cant get out of our zone? I hate the untrue exaggeration of the deficiencies of our players

The Kadri line with Komarov on it had a combined 47% possession rate, with Komarov rocking a solid 45% (Marleau and Kadri had 49% and 48%).

Once Komorav was taken off the line, they all went above 50%.

In fact:
Kadri's Possession with Komarov: 46.83%
Kadri's Without him: 51.5%
Marleau's Possession with Komarov: 47.68
Marleau's without him: 50.77%
Komraov's without Kadri: 42%
Komravo's withouth Marleau: 43%

They've been carrying this guy for far too long 5 on 5.

You really need to step your game up before you try arguing with me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nifty Willy

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013
Yes you're right that we have a very good sched going forward.

We still have had 14-5 b2b's vs competition this year and still have 2 more and only tonight catch a team on their b2b.

Onwards and upwards!! We have overcome the tuff part of our sched and can be fairy healthy heading to the playoffs,,, right?? fingers crossed:)

I've always thought we had a great schedule. Most important thing is to not have a huge workload in the last month and we have that, that's most of the ball game right there.

54thecup

Aug 3, 2017
Muskoka
I've always thought we had a great schedule. Most important thing is to not have a huge workload in the last month and we have that, that's most of the ball game right there.

Agreed!

I think the key issue will be injuries as we head to a great playoff series against Boston. Boston has to play ~ 10 playoff teams down the stretch all fighting for position, They are dinged up and another 3 down last nite.

The series will be a war of attrition and lets hope the the Bruins stretch will wear heavily on them!!

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
Was wondering how the Kadri-Marner line was doing defensively and these are the numbers I've compiled from natural stat trick comparing it to the Kadri-Komarov line.

Even strength on ice stats

Oct 4th - Jan 23rd

Kadri
47 games
24 goals against
0.51 goals against per game
125 high danger chances against
2.65 HDCA

Marleau
49 games
39 goals against
128 high danger chances against
2.61 HDCA

Komarov
49 games
26 goals against
0.53 goals against per game
126 high danger chances against
2.57 HDCA

Marner
49 games played
33 goals against
0.67 goals against per game
91 high danger chances against
1.85 HDCA

Jan 24st-March 14th

Kadri
20 games played
19 goals against
0.95 goals against per game
78 high danger chances against
3.9 HDCA

Marleau
20 games played
16 goals against
0.8 goals against per game
75 high danger chances against
3.75 HDCA

Komarov
20 games played
8 goals against
0.4 goals against per game
41 high danger chances against
2.05 HDCA

Marner
20 games played
15 goals against
0.75 goals against per game
66 high danger chances against
3.3 HDCA

So this is all without the context of the quality of their opponents. I don't really know how or where to get into that stuff.

That line is obviously better defensively with Leo, the extra offence offsets losing Leo but I don't know why people are pretending that Marner makes the line better defensively, he doesn't. That doesn't mean Leo should go back to his wing but Leo is better defensively than Marner at this point, that shouldn't really surprise anyone.

Reactions: ULF_55

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
Who is a better forward defensively and please answer intelligently. Please dont say johnsson who hasnt even played an nhl game yet
Komarov is one of the best in his own end, but lots of our guys have a better defensive impact due to being able to transition better and sustain pressure offensively. Komarov can defend, but you don't want to defend the whole time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad