Stars bolster defence

SensGod

Feb 27, 2002
Scotia Bank Place
Visit site
The Dallas Stars have picked up Mattias Norstrom and Jim Vandermeer to bulk up their defensive core.
Associated Press
April 7, 2007 8:33:00 AM

Dallas, Texas. (AP) - The Dallas Stars have announced that they have acquired veteran defenceman Mattias Norstrom and Jim Vandermeer in separate deals early this morning.

It appears that the Dallas Stars aren't going to go away quietly this year in their playoff push. They have acquired defensive stalwart Matias Norstrom from the Columbus Blue Jackets this morning for giant prospect Brian Boyle.

A few minutes later they shipped off Garnett Exelby and Colorado's 2nd round pick this year for young defenceman Jim Vandermeer of the Nashville Predators.

Dallas GM, Laurens Thie had the following comments.

"We've had some problems in our back end this year and we need to get more defensive minded, espcially in the playoffs. We need to give Kipper more support back there and the acquisition of these two defensive minded defenceman will hopefully give us that.

The price we paid for Norstrom is a high one on paper. It's not too often that a 6 foot 7 monster like Boyle comes into your organization and shows the potential to play on your top forward and defensive lines. The problem is that he can't help us out this year and making the playoffs is way too important for us this year considering the embarrasment of a season we had last year.

I made this move because we've got young guys like Horcoff, Parise, Roy and Toews all in our organization that will ensure that we have the center depth for many years to come. We could afford to move Boyle due to our organization depth down the middle. I hated to pull the trigger, but when you can get a guy like Norstrom to help solidify our defensive core...you have to do it."

Watch out western conference...here come the Stars.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Jackets exodus continues

GM Doug Emerson confirmed an Associated Press report indicating that the Columbus Blue Jackets had shipped out veteran blueliner Mattias Norstrom to reacquire prospect Brian Boyle.

"It's still pending league approval, but we're confident it will be cleared shortly. It's hard to give up a talented player like Matti, but it comes down to cap management. We're serious about bringing back our Captian (pending UFA Keith Carney); with him, Pitkanen and Ward, and the acquisition of Roman Hamrlik our top four is pretty much set. I just couldn't justify paying a third-pairing defenceman almost $3-million. I need that money elsewhere.

"Matti's a great player, though - he'll be missed. We wish him all the best in Dallas.

"On the flipside, we couldn't turn down the opportunity to bring Brian Boyle back into the fold." (Boyle, selected by the Jackets in the second round in 2003, was subsequently shipped off to Dallas to bolster the Jackets Cup drive). "Frankly, I've been kicking myself ever since I moved him: we just love what he brings to the table. If this kid were 5-7, 180 pounds, his skill, determination and leadership would still make him an interesting prospect. When you add a solid foot and 50 pounds to that, it's just an incredible package.

"We've followed Brian throughout and been impressed by how he's developed - he's grown into a real leader both emotionally and on the scoresheet, and he's truly elevated his play. And then to see him, a center throughout his career, make the switch to defence due to injuries and be, if anything, even more dominant - that's impressive. The (Boston College) Eagles have a great program, but there's little question that they wouldn't be where they are right now (entering their third consecutive Frozen Four tournament, and the only qualifier to also win their conference) if it weren't for Brian. He's a real special player.

"To be honest, we don't know whether to be more excited about his potential as a power pivot, or to continue to explore the possibilities of him as a blueliner. He's just that good."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad