Movies: Star Wars VIII The Last Jedi, for those who have seen it! (SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005
Not to belabor the point, but internet 'creators' said they loved the movie in order to avoid being labelled an "alt-right Nazi".

That Angry Joe guy had to produce an entire mea culpa video after his negative review just to try and stem the tide of bull**** that was bring thrown his way.

The far left owns the internet. Everyone else has jobs. No time to rule.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Not to belabor the point, but internet 'creators' said they loved the movie in order to avoid being labelled an "alt-right Nazi".

That Angry Joe guy had to produce an entire mea culpa video after his negative review just to try and stem the tide of bull**** that was bring thrown his way.
Or maybe people still found enjoyment in a flawed movie. Interstellar is flawed in many ways but it's still well liked by people.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Or maybe people still found enjoyment in a flawed movie. Interstellar is flawed in many ways but it's still well liked by people.

Stop it. The many flaws in Interstellar were nowhere near as immersion-breaking as the mountains of plot holes that TLJ had. What a silly comparison.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
Stop it. The many flaws in Interstellar were nowhere near as immersion-breaking as the mountains of plot holes that TLJ had. What a silly comparison.
Oh yes sir, I'll stop it right away. Anything else I can do for you sir?

I didn't meant that to be a strict one to one comparison. I don't usually say this but it's the internet/Star Wars my man. It's not this serious business. My point wasn't to appeal to the level of plot holes in either film. Opinion on Interstellar is divisive because of its plot holes and silly writing choices. I didn't look any deeper beyond that surface level. My point was PEOPLE CAN STILL ENJOY A MOVIE WITH FLAWS. Scarface is another example. When you look at it critically, it's a tremendously flawed movie, yet it's iconic and beloved. The quantitative measure of the flaws of one movie relative to another is wholly and patently irrelevant to my point. All you've done is flip your lid over a point I wasn't trying to make and try to make me look foolish for supposedly doing so.

HISHE's reviewer can get enjoyment out of TLJ while still identifying its flaws. I am aware of its flaws and I still enjoyed it. I just know it could've been better, as the HISHE video demonstrated (though the deflecting lasers back to take out the walkers would've certainly drawn a tremendous amount of backlash). Just cause the majority is critical of the film doesn't mean sane minded people couldn't have enjoyed it. The Room is absolute dogshit and it's well loved by people.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Speak for yourself. I wanted to scream at the screen when Interstellar butchered orbital mechanics and time dialation. I'm perfectly fine with suspending my disbelief for sci-fi/fantasy, but when science fiction attempts to go closer to "hard sci fi" and actually attempts to explain the science, it really frustrates me when they get it wrong.

HanSolo

DJ Crazy Times
Apr 7, 2008
Las Vegas
If you like any Star Wars movie, you like a movie with plot holes, or at the very least, plot conveniences.
Also true. But I can understand that some of it in The Last Jedi was somewhat immersion breaking. For others there might be more but Canto Bight did kind of wrench me into "this really feels like a writer's message" territory. I think there's some value in it as it expands the universe in a way that even the prequels didn't but a look at galactic society should feel naturally implemented and not shoe horned.

Also as someone who truly enjoyed the ride episode 7 created of theory crafting, on one hand I really liked the decision that Rey is nobody but I'm really let down by the lack of backstory by Snoke. The only saving grace I'm waiting on is the potential that Snoke was part of something much larger. Something possibly being saved for the "next trilogy", assuming there is one and we'll be more clear on his role in the grand scheme of things at that time.

I had other issues with the film but I still enjoyed it. I don't think its flaws break the movie quite as badly as some think. People have gone as far as to say that the holes make this film worse than the prequels but this feels like revisionist history. The plot holes that riddle the prequels are not only worse on their face but they restrict development of the plot in more significant ways (Lucas even felt tied down to his own Episode 1 plot holes and believed there was no getting rid of them without canning the whole script which he was apparently too lazy to do.) Bad idea after bad idea plagues those films and it can't be stressed enough that the acting was really poor almost across the board (outside of Kenobi and Palpatine). Even Kelly Marie Tran whose performance I felt was pretty forced was still miles more tolerable than actors in the prequels.

Last edited:

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
According to J.J. Abrams, the only reason The Last Jedi had critics is because of the amount of female roles.

So if you didn’t like the film, you’re a sexist. :sarcasm:

GlassesJacketShirt

Aug 4, 2010
Sherbrooke
According to J.J. Abrams, the only reason The Last Jedi had critics is because of the amount of female roles.

I'm sure there are some for who that would be the case. Lots of people are sexist.

As for myself, I felt the film was incredibly uneven, at times well executed and at others cringey, and still miles more interesting than what JJ reheated in TFA. :popcorn:

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016

That is the attitude that got Trump elected.

Anyways the how it should have ended was better then the movie

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Speak for yourself. I wanted to scream at the screen when Interstellar butchered orbital mechanics and time dialation. I'm perfectly fine with suspending my disbelief for sci-fi/fantasy, but when science fiction attempts to go closer to "hard sci fi" and actually attempts to explain the science, it really frustrates me when they get it wrong.

I mean... I legitimately loved The Last Jedi, but comparing issues with that soft science fantasy with issues with Interstellar seems like a pretty big leap to me. I understand the idea of different standards for different attempts at authenticity, but that seems to be nitpicking to a great degree, especially as Interstellar probably handled time dilation better than really any major film that I can think of in recent memory. Or heck, even mentioned it versus not being a thing in most sci-fi flicks.

And I'm saying that as someone that personally thinks that Interstellar is Nolan's best film, to be fair.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Black Panther, the declared target of an alt-right, Rotten Tomatoes review ambush, has nugded up a couple of points in audience score over the last couple days and now sits at 77%.

The Last Jedi remains at 48%.

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
That is the attitude that got Trump elected.

Anyways the how it should have ended was better then the movie

So you agree with J.J. then? There are no valid criticisms of the film that have nothing to do with how many lead female roles there are?

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Black Panther, the declared target of an alt-right, Rotten Tomatoes review ambush, has nugded up a couple of points in audience score over the last couple days and now sits at 77%.

The Last Jedi remains at 48%.

the obsession continues lol.

I'm curious why there is such a difference between Rotten tomatoes and IMDB in regards to rating.

Black Panther has a 7.9 out of 10 on imdb 97K + votes.

The Last Jedi remains at 7.5/10 on imdb with over 300K+ votes.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
the obsession continues lol.

I'm curious why there is such a difference between Rotten tomatoes and IMDB in regards to rating.

Black Panther has a 7.9 out of 10 on imdb 97K + votes.

The Last Jedi remains at 7.5/10 on imdb with over 300K+ votes.
Aren't rating systems fun?

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
Aren't rating systems fun?

the_worst.jpg

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
So you agree with J.J. then? There are no valid criticisms of the film that have nothing to do with how many lead female roles there are?

I took him to mean that the attitude that Abrams is expressing is what got Trump elected, and there's something to that, IMO. People are tired of being called sexist, racist and so on simply because they have different opinions and tastes than the PC crowd, so they elected someone who is very non-PC in retaliation. Ironically, when people suggest that he won because half of the country is racist and sexist, they're displaying the very attitude that those people were voting against. Some people seemingly can't tolerate or respect criticism, even when it's directed towards something as subjective as entertainment, without trying to discredit it by insinuating that the critics are bigots.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pilky01

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
I took him to mean that the attitude that Abrams is expressing is what got Trump elected, and there's something to that, IMO. People are tired of being called sexist, racist and so on simply because they have different opinions and tastes than the PC crowd, so they elected someone who is very non-PC in retaliation. Ironically, when people suggest that he won because half of the country is racist and sexist, they're displaying the very attitude that those people were voting against. Some people just can't tolerate or respect criticism, even when it's directed towards something as subjective as entertainment, without trying to discredit it by insinuating that the critics are bigots.

My bad then. I misinterpreted the post.

Not sure J.J.’s attitude bodes well for Episode IX...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad