TV: Star Wars Rebels season 4

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
George Lucas is a good storyteller, he's just a bad director. He gets shit on (probably more than he deserves) for the prequels, but the actual story itself isn't the problem. It's the execution of that story (acting and dialogue mostly) that's the problem. You give the actual story in those films to a competent director and they'd be pretty good films.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
George Lucas is a good storyteller, he's just a bad director. He gets **** on (probably more than he deserves) for the prequels, but the actual story itself isn't the problem. It's the execution of that story (acting and dialogue mostly) that's the problem. You give the actual story in those films to a competent director and they'd be pretty good films.

Lucas is a good worldbuilder, but he's a terrible storyteller. ESB and ROTJ were credited to other writers in addition to Lucas. ANH has only Lucas as its sole writer credit, but comments from Lucas himself indicate that he had multiple people contribute to at least a half-dozen revisions to his original script, including heavier contribution by the co-writers he had on American Graffiti, especially to the dialogue (which Lucas has said is the weakest part of his writing, and has been substantiated by most of the ANH principle cast. Especially Harrison Ford, who was given latitude to improvise on-set because he was exceptionally vocal about how awful the dialogue was, including an oft-quoted comment he made to Lucas: "George, you can type this ****, but you sure can't say it.")

Just look at the prequel trilogy. By this point Lucas had complete auteur license and could do whatever he wanted. So he was the voice for the movies (Eps 1 and 3 had no other writer credits. Attack of the Clones had a co-writer credit for a guy who was a frequent Lucas collaborator on Indiana Jones material ) and for the most part the thing that gets savaged about the prequel trilogy is the terrible dialogue and character interaction.

Lucas is the guy that makes the sandbox, and it's a great sandbox, no doubt about it. But He's best served by other people playing in it. Or at the very least having someone there to save him from himself.

In actuality, he's a lot like Gene Roddenberry in that regard.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Also I finally got to the end of Rebels tonight. I liked it. Star Wars stuff always should end on a positive/upbeat note (Rogue One and the middle movies in trilogies being the exceptions).

I also would totally watch a follow-up series of

Sabine & Ahsoka searching for Ezra in between RoTJ and the new movies

The only thing I kind of question:

When the hell Jacen was conceived considering the only time Kanan and Hera actually do anything about their feelings is when they're standing on top of the fuel tank. So unless they had sex right there in the waning minutes before Kanan was engulfed in a ball of fire, or we're supposed to believe there's some Anakin-esque force shenanigans going on, what gives?

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I just kind of went with the Jacen thing. It doesn't really make sense unless Kanan and Hera slept together before but never actually said they loved each other. I was just glad they gave a nod to the old EU by naming him Jacen. Although my god, what's with that kid's hair? Did he break into Sabine's hair dye?

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
@MadDevil @The Nemesis Guys... you're over thinking it:

One doesn't have to say I love you for it to be true. You can also have sex with someone you don't love. And have a kid with someone you don't love.

BTW, how much time passes between A New Hope and Return of the Jedi?

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
Kanan was doing light saber practice with Hera long before she said she loved him.

Remember when he was rescued in season one they had that moment when she called him Dear.

He shagged her baby, he shagged her rotten.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Personally, I thought the second half of season 4 jumped the shark pretty hard. I could kinda live with weird force tunnels and teleportation across Lothal. But time travel is just a giant can of worms I wish they stayed away from. And the whole hyperspace whales bit felt poorly executed.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
It's only a problem for me if they use it repeatedly. I don't see the films using it since they don't seem to give a shit about canon outside of the fims. And Filoni is smart enough to not go back to the well too many times with it.

PepperKeenan

Sep 22, 2012
Sweden
slightly off topic, but there's a Thrawn comic covering his joining and rise through the ranks of the Empire, the first issue is great
The comics is based on this book, which I'm currently reading. I higly recommend it. I'll pick up the comics once I've finished the novel. You also get to know Arihnda Pryce and her origins in the novel.
latest

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
So I know I’m super late to the party but I just finished the last season. The movies really should’ve used Ashoka and Ezra. Now they’re kindve in no man’s land and I doubt we ever get them again.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
So I know I’m super late to the party but I just finished the last season. The movies really should’ve used Ashoka and Ezra. Now they’re kindve in no man’s land and I doubt we ever get them again.

I'm sure we get them again. Filoni is still heavily involved in all of Star Wars.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
While I loved Clone Wars and mostly Rebels, as well as the characters, I hate how in Rebels they made jedi prominent members of the Rebel Alliance, it sort of goes against the OT, and how Luke and Leia were the only hopes.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
While I loved Clone Wars and mostly Rebels, as well as the characters, I hate how in Rebels they made jedi prominent members of the Rebel Alliance, it sort of goes against the OT, and how Luke and Leia were the only hopes.

But Ezra, Kanan, and Ahsoka are gone by the time of a New Hope so as far as they are the only hopes.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
But Ezra, Kanan, and Ahsoka are gone by the time of a New Hope so as far as they are the only hopes.
True. Still preferred it how the jedi were completely wiped out in Order 66 and the short time after it. With how Rebels went, jedi should've been common knowledge for a lot of people in the Empire and the Rebels, but it didn't seem to be that way in the OT.

Reactions: Hivemind

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
True. Still preferred it how the jedi were completely wiped out in Order 66 and the short time after it. With how Rebels went, jedi should've been common knowledge for a lot of people in the Empire and the Rebels, but it didn't seem to be that way in the OT.

Yeah I think that’s how it originally was supposed to be. But then Clone Wars came out and they never finished Ahsoka’s story (still haven’t) so they had to include her eventually. The show would’ve been fairly boring with no Jedi too. You couldn’t include Vader, the inquisitors, Thrawn, or Maul and justify them getting beaten but a group with no Jedi.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Yeah I think that’s how it originally was supposed to be. But then Clone Wars came out and they never finished Ahsoka’s story (still haven’t) so they had to include her eventually. The show would’ve been fairly boring with no Jedi too. You couldn’t include Vader, the inquisitors, Thrawn, or Maul and justify them getting beaten but a group with no Jedi.
I agree. I do mostly like the show for those reasons, it's just one of the negative side affects from me, but it doesn't affect my viewing of the show. It's why I'm hoping for them to go to other timelines, so they don't muddy up what has already been done because it just creates unnecessary roadblocks for characters. Either they have to die or you never hear from them again or you make some crazy plot reasoning for bring a character back like they did with Maul in Clone Wars, and what will probably happen for Palp.

An Ahsoka or Ezra connection would've been good to see. Maybe Luke discovered the world between worlds with the help of Ahsoka, and the 3 of them rebuild the jedi order that corrects the flaws that it had, and then Snoke or Palp destroyed it. I feel like it could've been done with little screen time too.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
I agree. I do mostly like the show for those reasons, it's just one of the negative side affects from me, but it doesn't affect my viewing of the show. It's why I'm hoping for them to go to other timelines, so they don't muddy up what has already been done because it just creates unnecessary roadblocks for characters. Either they have to die or you never hear from them again or you make some crazy plot reasoning for bring a character back like they did with Maul in Clone Wars, and what will probably happen for Palp.

An Ahsoka or Ezra connection would've been good to see. Maybe Luke discovered the world between worlds with the help of Ahsoka, and the 3 of them rebuild the jedi order that corrects the flaws that it had, and then Snoke or Palp destroyed it. I feel like it could've been done with little screen time too.

Personally, I would love for them to connect the shows and movies in a major way. But that had to be done in TFA. It would have had to been thoroughly explained because a lot of people don't watch the shows. It's too late now. Their stories will have to be finished in a new series if they ever are. Maybe a potential connection to the Mandalorian.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Personally, I would love for them to connect the shows and movies in a major way. But that had to be done in TFA. It would have had to been thoroughly explained because a lot of people don't watch the shows. It's too late now. Their stories will have to be finished in a new series if they ever are. Maybe a potential connection to the Mandalorian.
Exactly. I don't think Disney viewed the shows as something worth connecting to the big screen. If Favreau and Filoni get bigger roles, then that will change and everything will start being connected.

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Also, I know bringing Maul back was a bit ridiculous but it was completely worth it imo. It gave us the best arcs in Clone Wars and some good material in Rebels as well. It really showed a side of Obi-Wan's character too.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Exactly. I don't think Disney viewed the shows as something worth connecting to the big screen. If Favreau and Filoni get bigger roles, then that will change and everything will start being connected.

Just hand them the next trilogy and tv show series. You can finish up Ezra and Ahsoka's story in the show and potentially use it for the next series. Just don't make them the focus so that way the next trilogy doesn't have to be held down by anything from the past shows or movies.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad