TV: Star Wars Rebels season 4

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
A little predictable, but I didn't expect a wrap up like they did

in random order

Jacen - a nod to Jacen Solo?
Hera took part in the Battle of Endor
Ketsu returns
Melch finally got to be a hero (they can fly! :laugh:)
Hondo's still Hondo, but you can see the respect tahat he has for Ezra
Zeb trolling Thrawn about Rukh :laugh:
Gregor doesn't make it. (had to be at least one death)
Knew the signal was going to be for the Purrgil, although I forgot what they were called
Emperor's Royal Guard make an appearance
Pryce's first name, and she goes out with some level of dignity
Rex on Endor confirmed
Zeb and Kallus to the new Lasat homeworld
As expected, Ezra's fate is unknown
Did Thrawn make it?
Ahsoka survives the war
Sabine and Ahsoka search for Ezra

Certainly sets up for a series between ROTJ and TFA with Ezra in the unknown regions and maybe thrawn.

While Sabine and Ahsoka search for Ezra, what are the chances that they return to the World between worlds and rip him out before he vanishes.

The Zeb Kallus stuff and the Sabine speech was really well done.

Good bye Rebels you were great

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
This gets me re-hyped for everything in the SW universe because

Sabine and Ahsoka could pop up anywhere. How amazing would it be if they show a flashback scene of Luke and Ahsoka talking, with her being a contributor to him going grey

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
A little predictable, but I didn't expect a wrap up like they did

in random order

Jacen - a nod to Jacen Solo?
Hera took part in the Battle of Endor
Ketsu returns
Melch finally got to be a hero (they can fly! :laugh:)
Had a feeling he was faking his death
Hondo's still Hondo, but you can see the respect tahat he has for Ezra
Zeb trolling Thrawn about Rukh :laugh:
Gregor doesn't make it. (had to be at least one death)
Knew the signal was going to be for the Purrgil, although I forgot what they were called
Emperor's Royal Guard make an appearance
Pryce's first name, and she goes out with some level of dignity
Rex on Endor confirmed
Zeb and Kallus to the new Lasat homeworld
As expected, Ezra's fate is unknown
Did Thrawn make it?
Ahsoka survives the war
Sabine and Ahsoka search for Ezra
You forgot to add this.

Hera has a kid named Jacen Syndulla and Kanan is the Father.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The space whales coming back felt weird at first, but upon further viewings it makes a lot of sense.

Can't wait for the Ahsoka/Sabine road show you know is coming in some form, be it Filoni's next series or a book/comic.

Thrawn lives...for now. I liked not killing him off. He's too good a character to not tell more stories with. Speaking of, I geeked out a bit when he called "Captain Pellaeon" on the comm. Was that the first time he was named in the series, or did I miss it in a previous episode?

Overall, I thought it was a good finale. I'm definitely going to miss this series. At least until Filoni's next series. Disney, give that man a movie. He "gets" Star Wars better than anybody who has done the films so far IMO.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I’m going to miss Chopper. He was one of least annoying droids in the SW universe to me. Hopefully it shows up somewhere, somehow.

I remember in the first season, he kind of annoyed me. But he became a really fun character. Filoni said that where R2D2 was like a dog, incredibly loyal to his master, always wanting to please. Chopper was like a family cat, a jerk, but deep down was really loyal. The scene after Kanan died and Chopper went to Hera and held her hand was almost tear worthy.

I have a feeling that we might see spots of the ghost crew in a future series, but they won't be a main part of the story line.

They had a lot of emotional payoffs.

Gregor's last words summed up the Clone Wars perfectly. I kind of liked the way that Pryce went out too.

Zeb and Kallus going off to the Lasat world and them accepting Kallus as one of their own was really well done.

And seeing Hera in the same pose in the tower that Ezra was in at the start of the series was a nice full circle. Also Ashoka with the White Jedi outfit just rocked.

The best animation shot in the series though were the Wolves running along side of the ghost. that looked amazing.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Chopper had the most personality of any droid in Star Wars. Even ones that could legitimately talk like C-3P0. R2 was meant to have personality and you do see it from time to time, but Chopper felt more like another character on the ship and less like a supporting piece how most droids do. You could tell they were trying to do the same thing with BB-8 in the new movies, but something about Chopper's cantankerous nature and the fact that he has arms to help him emote better.

Ezra and Kanan were the focal points of the show because they were the jedi and that's what fans like, but for me the best parts of the regular cast were Chopper and Hera. Or Ahsoka and Kallus among the supporting players.

I still have to watch the last couple episodes though. I've been sitting on the last batch until the finale aired so I could watch them all at once.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
The scary part is, that after watching 6 Star Wars movies and the Clone Wars, I couldn't understand R2D2.

But after 4 seasons of Rebels. I could understand Chopper.

Also I thought thatt while the story is about Kanan and Ezra and Ezra's growth as a Jedi, that Sabine had a great story.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
The scary part is, that after watching 6 Star Wars movies and the Clone Wars, I couldn't understand R2D2.

But after 4 seasons of Rebels. I could understand Chopper.

Also I thought thatt while the story is about Kanan and Ezra and Ezra's growth as a Jedi, that Sabine had a great story.

Every major character really did get a good story. Zeb didn't get as much as the others, but he did definitely get a lot of growth over the course of the series, growing out of being the most mercenary/jaded of the crew and making peace with his past.

The only quasi-regular that didn't get a lot of growth was Rex, but that's because most of his story was played out in Clone Wars anyway and he didn't have anything to finish off from that plotline like Ahsoka did.

and I get that first point. R2's beeps and whatnot had some character, but it was limited. It was the scream, the excited chirp, and that creaky noise as he would pass out/short out and fall over. Chopper's was more of a 'language'

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Ezra and Kanan were the focal points of the show because they were the jedi and that's what fans like, but for me the best parts of the regular cast were Chopper and Hera. Or Ahsoka and Kallus among the supporting players.
Do you think it was good how they didn't have Ezra and Sabine fall in love the way they it went with Kanan and Hera. There always seem to be the notion that Ezra had a crush on her and how their scenes were put together in season 1, however it was more explained how they are like a brother and sister.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Do you think it was good how they didn't have Ezra and Sabine fall in love the way they it went with Kanan and Hera. There always seem to be the notion that Ezra had a crush on her and how their scenes were put together in season 1, however it was more explained how they are like a brother and sister.

Yeah, I thought that was done well. There doesn't always need to be romance with every possible pairing, so it made sense that Ezra starts out with a crush on Sabine but it ultimately settles into a more familial, platonic relationship as he gets to know her more and it becomes clear that she doesn't feel the same way he does. Meanwhile they still do have a sort-of-relationship on the show with Hera and Kanan who obviously do feel the same way about each other and they also have enough history with one another that they can reasonably have established feelings for each other over time (vs Ezra's immediate attraction to Sabine) but Hera especially chooses to put their duty ahead of their feelings because of how dangerous what they're doing is. I thought it was good. Especially because this was an action/drama show and romance wasn't necessary to be a driving force of the plot.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah, I thought that was done well. There doesn't always need to be romance with every possible pairing, so it made sense that Ezra starts out with a crush on Sabine but it ultimately settles into a more familial, platonic relationship as he gets to know her more and it becomes clear that she doesn't feel the same way he does. Meanwhile they still do have a sort-of-relationship on the show with Hera and Kanan who obviously do feel the same way about each other and they also have enough history with one another that they can reasonably have established feelings for each other over time (vs Ezra's immediate attraction to Sabine) but Hera especially chooses to put their duty ahead of their feelings because of how dangerous what they're doing is. I thought it was good. Especially because this was an action/drama show and romance wasn't necessary to be a driving force of the plot.
I only brought that up because of this video I happen to see that was put together of their scenes together from season 1.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I only brought that up because of this video I happen to see that was put together of their scenes together from season 1.

Sometimes that sort of stuff is also just a function of a writer ****-up or audience biased perceptions. There are a lot of writers who end up being bad at writing non-romantic relationships and end up accidentally writing them in a way that makes fans think there's more going on than there really is. Also a lot of times fanbases tend to get so caught up in the idea of character relationships that they're willing to read a lot more into fairly harmless or platonic interactions than the writers ever intended . I can't recall if the Rebels staff ever specifically addressed whether or not they intended Ezra/Sabine to be a bit of a red herring from the beginning or if they simply screwed up and wrote them too close and had to set things "right" once the fans started to read too much into it

Reactions: LeafsNation75

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Sometimes that sort of stuff is also just a function of a writer ****-up or audience biased perceptions. There are a lot of writers who end up being bad at writing non-romantic relationships and end up accidentally writing them in a way that makes fans think there's more going on than there really is. Also a lot of times fanbases tend to get so caught up in the idea of character relationships that they're willing to read a lot more into fairly harmless or platonic interactions than the writers ever intended . I can't recall if the Rebels staff ever specifically addressed whether or not they intended Ezra/Sabine to be a bit of a red herring from the beginning or if they simply screwed up and wrote them too close and had to set things "right" once the fans started to read too much into it
I think when the Rebels staff mentioned their relationship was more of a brother and sister that was to suggest they won't become a couple.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I'll have to give the series a re-watch. Also, I'm a bit surprised that this character didn't make an appearance in the finale:

The Bendu

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Filoni himself said that not every male/female relationship needs to be romantic abd that they chose not to go that way with Ezra and Sabine. It is in the video posted earlier in the thread.

Yeah, that's what I figured (and I agree) I just can't remember if they left the option open at the beginning and then decided against going anywhere with it, or if the relationship was always supposed to be platonic and the writers just sucked early on at not cramming all sorts of subtext into their interactions (or if it's just crazy insane shipping communities that insist every time two characters so much as look at each other that "OMG IT'S TWUE WUB!!!")

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Yeah, that's what I figured (and I agree) I just can't remember if they left the option open at the beginning and then decided against going anywhere with it, or if the relationship was always supposed to be platonic and the writers just sucked early on at not cramming all sorts of subtext into their interactions (or if it's just crazy insane shipping communities that insist every time two characters so much as look at each other that "OMG IT'S TWUE WUB!!!")
I think they left the option open at the beginning and I base that on how Ezra reacted around Sabine.

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I'll have to give the series a re-watch. Also, I'm a bit surprised that this character didn't make an appearance in the finale:

The Bendu

I don't know if there would be a purpose

The Bendu wasn't on anyone's side he said repeatedly that he was the balance between the dark and the light side of the force. Also remember the last time that Kanan asked him to intervene the Bendu attacked both sides equally.

Also he had served his purpose. He had re-affirmed Kanan's connection to the force, he had predicted how Thrawn would go out, and he restored the balance to his planet before vanishing by chasing off the Empire and the Rebublic.

Chances are if he had enter the fray again he wouldn't have intevened between Palpatine and Ezra in the temple prefering to let the force work out its own solution.

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Filoni is just a great storyteller, much like George Lucas. Which isn't surprising considering he was basically Lucas' apprentice when they were doing Clone Wars. I think Disney is doing themselves a disservice by not having him involved in the films. You watch Rebels and you can tell he had that show planned out and he did a fantastic job of bringing it all together. Whereas with the films it feels like they're flying by the seat of their pants from film to film. Don't get me wrong, I've thoroughly enjoyed every one of the new fims, but it just doesn't feel like they have an overall plan with where they're going with them. But that's probably more for one of the other Star Wars threads, so I'll leave it there.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Filoni is just a great storyteller, much like George Lucas. Which isn't surprising considering he was basically Lucas' apprentice when they were doing Clone Wars. I think Disney is doing themselves a disservice by not having him involved in the films. You watch Rebels and you can tell he had that show planned out and he did a fantastic job of bringing it all together. Whereas with the films it feels like they're flying by the seat of their pants from film to film. Don't get me wrong, I've thoroughly enjoyed every one of the new fims, but it just doesn't feel like they have an overall plan with where they're going with them. But that's probably more for one of the other Star Wars threads, so I'll leave it there.
I disagree that Lucas is a good storyteller.

I agree that having someone like Filoni being involved with films would be beneficial. Kathleen Kennedy gives off the impression of a business person executive type, more so than a creative type, and I think that's part of the problem. Is she passionate about SW from a story and character perspective? Even Kevin Feige who's running the MCU feels somewhat like a creative guy. The new Star Wars movies lack imagination.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->