Movies: Star Wars: Episode VIII THE LAST JEDI (NO SPOILERS - Use the other thread for spoilers)

SidCity

Sep 25, 2017
CGY
If it wasn't a Star Wars movie - it would be great.

But it is a Star Wars movie and it doesn't do justice to the whole Episode 1 - Episode 6 arc.

I don't like the new direction/story that they have taken Star Wars in...and I have put a detailed post in the Spoilers Thread.

Star Wars isn't Star Wars anymore....it's just another movie taking place in space with a below average story. My fears after watching TFA were confirmed by this movie and I doubt I spend anymore of my time watching Star Wars related stuff because I just dont like the story anymore.

3/10

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I was disappointed with it TBH. There were some fun moments but overall I expected it to be better than what it was.

sabresfan129103

1-4-6-14
Apr 10, 2006
Amherst, NY
My rankings

ESB
ANH
RotJ
RoTS
RO
TFA
TPM
TLJ
AotC

This is a pretty good ranking. I'd swap Rogue One with RoTS in my own personal rankings. Rogue One was a pretty good film. I wish Felicity Jones was chosen to play Rey as I think she's 100 times the actress that Ridley is.

613Leafer

May 26, 2008
I appreciate everyone lowering my expectations for this movie

I went in with no idea as to the story/premise of the movie, but knowing that it was generally getting rave reviews from critics. That may have set my expectations too high.

My impression is that people who are big Star Wars fans are more likely to have problems with it. Other people who just see it as a popcorn blockbuster generally seem to really like it.

Personally I think it had some very good scenes, and one of the major subplots was quite solid. But I also have some decently big problems with how some characters were handled, other subplots that were ultimately pretty irrelevant, and concerns with how it just generally meshes with the Star Wars universe.

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
I went in with no idea as to the story/premise of the movie, but knowing that it was generally getting rave reviews from critics. That may have set my expectations too high.

My impression is that people who are big Star Wars fans are more likely to have problems with it. Other people who just see it as a popcorn blockbuster generally seem to really like it.

Personally I think it had some very good scenes, and one of the major subplots was quite solid. But I also have some decently big problems with how some characters were handled, other subplots that were ultimately pretty irrelevant, and concerns with how it just generally meshes with the Star Wars universe.
At this point, if it's not a rehash of ESB, I'll probably enjoy it (that's how low my expectations are right now)

irunthepeg

Board man gets paid
May 20, 2010
The Peg, Canada
This is the worst Star Wars film I've ever seen. Never in a million years did I expect to get let down like that and I actually have zero hype for the next one.

Reactions: Guerzy

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
Don't worry, that is not true. The movie does have some similar beats to V and VI (and really every SW movie shares some beats with every other SW movie) but it's certainly different enough to say it's no rehash.
I don't think my heart can take much more of this emotional rollercoaster...

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I don't think my heart can take much more of this emotional rollercoaster...

As long as you haven't been reading all of the internet speculations and built up plotlines that you wish/expect to see in the movie and actually want to be suprised by the events in a movie, you won't disappointed. Whether you like the results of those events might depend on your preferences.

Last edited:

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
As long as you haven't been reading all of the internet speculations and built up plotlines that you wish/expect to see in the movie and actually want to be suprised by the events in a movie, you wonät disappointed. Whether you like the results of those events might depend on your preferences.
I've only seen the trailers and stayed away from speculations and discussion boards like the plague. Of course I have my own ideas/theories but they're superficial at best. As long as I'm not bored out of my mind I *should* enjoy the movie (especially after the huge letdown of TFA)

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Don't worry, that is not true. The movie does have some similar beats to V and VI (and really every SW movie shares some beats with every other SW movie) but it's certainly different enough to say it's no rehash.
I didn't say it was a rehash. But the two biggest scenes in the move are complete ripoffs. The plot is nothing like those movies. Its way worse with no substance.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
I'm more interested in how it can get such polarizing reviews.

Its either 8 - 9.5/10 or complete garbage, ruined the series from most of the people I've heard.

The film critic industry has changed a lot in recent years. Mainstream film reviews seem to be less of a critique of a film's storytelling, and have become more of an evaluation of a film's morals and message.

For most reviewers, this film ticked off all the right message boxes, girls kick ass, boys are foolhardy, less white men, and so they give it a glowing review.

Audiences however are not judging movies based on their progressive bond fides, they're still judging them based on their content, and that is why we have such a chasm between "professional" reviewers and general audiences.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
As long as you haven't been reading all of the internet speculations and built up plotlines that you wish/expect to see in the movie and actually want to be suprised by the events in a movie, you won't disappointed. Whether you like the results of those events might depend on your preferences.
He will be dissappointed if he appreciates a good plot, dialogue and acting. The movie was a mess.

Reactions: Lancer

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
The film critic industry has changed a lot in recent years. Mainstream film reviews seem to be less of a critique of a film's storytelling, and have become more of an evaluation of a film's morals and message.

For most reviewers, this film ticked off all the right message boxes, girls kick ass, boys are foolhardy, less white men, and so they give it a glowing review.

Audiences however are not judging movies based on their progressive bond fides, they're still judging them based on their content, and that is why we have such a chasm between "professional" reviewers and general audiences.

I don't bother comparing critic reviews with general audience, but the rift is still apparent when only looking at the general audience reviews. I see plenty of people love it and just as many people that hate it. It seems to be those with the highest expectations that were most disappointed. I'll hopefully be going around the 23-26th so I'll post my thoughts here after I've seen it myself. I really like both TFA and RO, so if TLJ is around that level I imagine I'll enjoy it.

Hockeyisl1fe

Dec 8, 2016
I don't bother comparing critic reviews with general audience, but the rift is still apparent when only looking at the general audience reviews. I see plenty of people love it and just as many people that hate it. It seems to be those with the highest expectations that were most disappointed. I'll hopefully be going around the 23-26th so I'll post my thoughts here after I've seen it myself. I really like both TFA and RO, so if TLJ is around that level I imagine I'll enjoy it.
I didn't have any expectations, but I was still shocked how bad the film actually was. People love it because it's "Star Wars", not because it's a good film. The fanboys are in denial atm, that's why it receives the praise.

Reactions: Pilky01

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004

I stayed away from them like the plague and rushed out to see it yesterday so that I wouldn't hear any spoilers and I still came away disappointed. To each their own naturally and I'm glad that a lot of people liked it but it really fell flat on its face for me.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Funny how the most vocal critics seem to be people unable to comprehend a character-driven story.

Plot is overrated.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA

I'm a pretty casual Star Wars fan but I really liked TFA and R1 and yet I hated this so, take that for what it is.

Granted I did have pretty high expectations going into it; but that is only because reviewers were so unreserved in their praise. My expectations weren't so high because I love Star Wars so much, they were high because I felt assured that this would be at least a decent movie.

I think a lot of fanboys are in serious denial right now. And the progressive media is already in full defence mode painting critics as whiny, entitled fanboys who need to grow up.

This is all very much like The Phantom Menace. People didn't accept that it sucked right away.

Reactions: Nizdizzle

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
I didn't have any expectations, but I was still shocked how bad the film actually was. People love it because it's "Star Wars", not because it's a good film. The fanboys are in denial atm, that's why it receives the praise.

I liked it, (I didn't love it) because it stayed away from the expected, predictable stuff. The were things that I loved and parts that I thought didn't work at all or could have been done differently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad