Star Wars Battlefront II (Nov 17)

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I think the core issue is how much difference the star cards make. They are massive advantages.

The longer you need to grind to unlock them, the longer you are at that disadvantage. Very unappealing to newcomers, who not only have to deal with the skill gap but also the gear gap.

And I play very few FPS', but overall the card thing just seems like a very poor fit for the genre. This is a case of the industry taking whats popular and trying to mash it all together into one big homonegized messed. Buzzwords like multiplayer, co-op, RPG progression, open world, etc etc, that get popular in one genre then start finding there way into others. The 'legends' card system in sports games seems like a really cool idea to me, and MTG-like collectable card games have become a huge fad, so it's no surprise to see these elements start creeping into other games especially when they provide a ready made DLC market environment. But seriously this shouldn't get anywhere near competetive online shooters.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
And I play very few FPS', but overall the card thing just seems like a very poor fit for the genre. This is a case of the industry taking whats popular and trying to mash it all together into one big homonegized messed. Buzzwords like multiplayer, co-op, RPG progression, open world, etc etc, that get popular in one genre then start finding there way into others. The 'legends' card system in sports games seems like a really cool idea to me, and MTG-like collectable card games have become a huge fad, so it's no surprise to see these elements start creeping into other games especially when they provide a ready made DLC market environment. But seriously this shouldn't get anywhere near competetive online shooters.

Agreed.

It's one of the things I hate about the game industry. Once something becomes popular, everyone jumps on it until the consumer base is just sick of it.

EA will put cards in everything now, because they make it easy to sell progression. Apparently they feel it's worth money to avoid playing their games.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
It's very possible I'm missing many examples, but to my consumer eyes the online service from Sony hasn't improved one bit (with the exception of the party system which was more UI design than quality of service), but they still put all multiplayer functionality behind that paywall.

Microsoft does the same thing with the multiplayer Paywall.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Everything is a service and a-la-carte now-a days. Heck even cable and satellite. Cell phones, cell phone plans, streaming apps, games, online services... everything. You also need an account for everything now. It's very annoying.

Just adding a little rant here :)

Reactions: Commander Clueless

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Update does nothing to help the game's issues.

Maps are still busted (hello pointlessly long uphill climb for teams on Takodana/Death Star), progression still sucks (sure unlocking card slots helps, but it means nothing if you have no cards to put in), AFK'ers still exist despite EA attempting to deal with it. (they apparently don't realize these people are still moving in game despite being "AFK") Like seriously, how ****ing hard is it to just add a button prompt somewhere in there when you need to respawn? Still seeing lag at points, they made HvV worse with some of the buffs/nerfs.

The most offensive thing is the supposed "credit boost" they added. The only way to get a good amount per match is by;

- having a high score (not really a bad thing)

- letting a long ass mode like galactic assault drag out until its final point (completely goes against the point of playing PvP)

I've finished at the top of the board a lot in other modes and i still get nothing for it. At most, like 430 over the usual 300 or so.

I think i'm about done with this game now. Core gameplay imo is fun and chaotic but if they couldn't get anything right after a month of time to listen to feedback then i suspect they never will.

Puckstop40

Aug 23, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Just reading through this thread and the absolute shit storm this game caused on the internet, I am so disappointed. I am a huge Star Wars fan and this game looked so promising. Micro Transactions are literally a cancer in the gaming industry that I wish would go away. For those that do play it, is it going to be worth getting in the future?

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Honestly? Probably not.

Playerbase is still annoyed, the poor progression system + how gamers work means this one is probably gonna die off once the hype for the Last Jedi subsides. Battlefront 1 (2015 version) only took a couple months to tank below 10k players (though to its credit it basically stayed at 10k up until the 2nd one came out) and that game had far less issues than this one.

Save the money.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
Just reading through this thread and the absolute **** storm this game caused on the internet, I am so disappointed. I am a huge Star Wars fan and this game looked so promising. Micro Transactions are literally a cancer in the gaming industry that I wish would go away. For those that do play it, is it going to be worth getting in the future?

No. Every aspect of the game was designed to create a revenue stream via microtransactions and this fact is painfully obvious to anyone who plays it for even a few minutes. EA should have review embargoed the shit out of this game and maybe they could have fooled the public for a few days after launch but this game was DOA. It could probably be salvaged if the willpower and desire to fix the game existed ala Battlefield 4 but since EA probably realizes that they're never going to make even a fraction of the microtransaction money they expected to make I don't think that's going to happen.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Just reading through this thread and the absolute **** storm this game caused on the internet, I am so disappointed. I am a huge Star Wars fan and this game looked so promising. Micro Transactions are literally a cancer in the gaming industry that I wish would go away. For those that do play it, is it going to be worth getting in the future?

The game is fundamentally broken on every level design wise. It may as well be the prettiest throwaway mobile game ever made. If they attempt this shit with Battlefield proper there will be a riot.

Battlefield YTers aren't even really playing the game. Game didn't sell well. It's just radioactive at this point.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
So I wasn't havent too much problems with the game, since I only played on & off and always did fairly well every game. I understand it has many problems but it didnt bother me too much since I am pretty casual. That being said, the past week I literally can not play a game. I lag in every game now. I have tried other online games thinking it was my internet and its not. So literally I cant play the game.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
The game is fundamentally broken on every level design wise. It may as well be the prettiest throwaway mobile game ever made. If they attempt this **** with Battlefield proper there will be a riot.

Battlefield YTers aren't even really playing the game. Game didn't sell well. It's just radioactive at this point.

Man, the battlepacks were annoying enough because of how in-your-face the whole thing was.

If they have freakin' cards in the next Battlefield I will flip out.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC

I’ve played both games and they really screwed up with BF2. The game play is horrid. The new Last Jedi Maps while stunningly beautiful graphically, is horrible when it comes to the play. I have yet to see walkers taken down in a match.

Buy the first one. The game play astronomically better than the new one.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I’ve played both games and they really screwed up with BF2. The game play is horrid. The new Last Jedi Maps while stunningly beautiful graphically, is horrible when it comes to the play. I have yet to see walkers taken down in a match.

Buy the first one. The game play astronomically better than the new one.

Just got back from the Last Jedi and they absolutely nailed the new Walker map graphically.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Well after seeing TLJ it's hard for me to get excited about SW stuff right now.

*sigh*

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
That bad, eh?
Some people are loving it I guess. I am not one of those people who get upset if someone has a different opinion so that's fine if others like it to me.

No spoilers here but here is my assessment in spoiler tags if you don't want to hear it.
It basically took everything the Force Awakens built up in the plotline and crushed it. I walked out of TFA thinking 'HOLY CRAP THAT WAS AWESOME!' I walked out of TLJ thinking 'I am not sure how I feel about that one.'

The more I think on it, the less I like it.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Some people are loving it I guess. I am not one of those people who get upset if someone has a different opinion so that's fine if others like it to me.

No spoilers here but here is my assessment in spoiler tags if you don't want to hear it.
It basically took everything the Force Awakens built up in the plotline and crushed it. I walked out of TFA thinking 'HOLY CRAP THAT WAS AWESOME!' I walked out of TLJ thinking 'I am not sure how I feel about that one.'

The more I think on it, the less I like it.

I thought TFA was pretty mediocre so it sounds like TLJ will be a disappointment. :laugh:

Great visuals, though, and it translates into this game. Probably the one area without flaw.

Rogue One was awful until the last 15-20 minutes or so.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lancer

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I thought TFA was pretty mediocre so it sounds like TLJ will be a disappointment. :laugh:

Great visuals, though, and it translates into this game. Probably the one area without flaw.

Rogue One was awful until the last 15-20 minutes or so.
I actually loved Rogue One. I would put it ahead of TFA, TLJ and the prequels. At the very least it felt like a Star Wars movie to me. I wasn't the biggest fan of TFA but it at least felt like Star Wars. TLJ just doesn't feel like Star Wars. It feels like The Avengers in space with a dash of Mad Max and Harry Potter wizardry.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I actually loved Rogue One. I would put it ahead of TFA, TLJ and the prequels. At the very least it felt like a Star Wars movie to me. I wasn't the biggest fan of TFA but it at least felt like Star Wars. TLJ just doesn't feel like Star Wars. It feels like The Avengers in space with a dash of Mad Max and Harry Potter wizardry.

I loved the ending to Rogue One and the tie in to the originals, but the first like 2 hours I thought was just boring. The characters really had no personality and the plot was...well let's just say the team was so stupid it drew me out of the film.

The main character was soooooooooo dry. I just found it hard to care about anything in that movie.

To be fair, I think I would've felt the same about TFA if it didn't have the original characters in it...although Kylo was at least interesting.

My two cents anyway. Suffice it to say, if they come out with her as a hero in this game, I won't ever play her. :laugh:

Last edited:

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I loved the ending to Rogue One and the tie in to the originals, but the first like 2 hours I thought was just boring. The characters really had no personality and the plot was...well let's just say the team was so stupid it drew me out of the film.

The main character was soooooooooo dry. I just found it hard to care about anything in that movie.

To be fair, I think I would've felt the same about TFA if it didn't have the original characters in it...although Kylo was at least interesting.

My two cents anyway. Suffice it to say, if they come out with her as a hero in this game, I won't ever play her. :huh:
Yeah, I didn't like Jyn at all. Felicity was a bad actress and she should not have been the main character. Very shallow there.

I generally agree with what you say about TFA too. Poe, Finn and BB8 really got my attention and they hold their own in TLJ. Lots of other things are really awful about it though.

Jyn was a hero in the fist Battlefront no?

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
I think she was a hero in the DLC if I recall correctly, but I never played the DLC from the first one.

Yes along with Krennic being added for the empire's side.

Anyone else play as Finn and Phasma yet? Finn could definitely use a nerf while Phasma's staff attack is near useless 8 times out of 10 I feel like given how easy it for people to dodge.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Finn is ****ing busted. He's like Lando on steroids. His version of deadeye is basically "if i look at you, you die." Any Boba Fett, Bossk, Emperor or any other lightsaber hero with their guard down is dead. Like they don't even get a chance to escape or fight back. Gun hits hard without it too.

Phasma is...Interesting. Her kit has some useful stuff. The shock drone in particular. Survivor is good. The staff is also good if you can actually land the bloody thing, which is never.

Early impressions is she needs a buff on her gun, at minimum make her staff attack unable to be cancelled out (since it takes 40 years to do the animation anyway) and do something about Finn's deadeye.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->