Star Wars Battlefront II (Nov 17)

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I think the big thing people are missing too is the campaign totally gives away a major part of the movie.

Iden and Del end up together at the end of the game, but it fast forwards years into the future where Del is apparently alone again. Kylo Ren and Hask (the remaining member of the inferno squad) kill him/interrogate him to find out who has the missing piece of the map to Luke. Just before Hask kills Del, Del says "don't go after them, it won't end well for you," which heavily implies Luke, Iden and a likely baby Rey are on the run. Which obviously means Luke is Rey's father. Not that it was hard to deduce since there's like, 4 force sensitive people left in the galaxy as far was we know"

There's campaign DLC coming too in which DICE is instructing people not to play if they have plans on seeing the Last Jedi since they both launch in the same week.

I also love how this garbage ass campaign is considered canon (apparently) yet the oodles of good Star Wars games (KOTOR/Jedi Academy/etc) are left out because "muh confusing universe"

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Did you gloss over this?

Of course if you are spending three to four times as much per game you stand to lose more on a flop. ME:Andromeda soaked up a lot of resources for a pretty pitiful performance, which is why EA is shelving that franchise for now. They want things that are bankable.

Battlefront 2 isn't in danger of losing money but it's in real danger of coming in under forecast. And EA might have royally screwed the pooch if increased attention to regulators threatens things like FUT.

I didn't, what I said was you are conceptualizing costs inaccurately. Potential or expected revenue is not part of cost. Cost is only what is expended to create an output. It's accurate to say potential revenue per unit has dramatically increased, but it's inaccurate to say costs per unit has decreased. While greater expected revenue makes up for increased costs, the higher scales in this case make the production riskier (as you said). Which is why I made my initial post.

Andromeda is mostly out of place in this context because blame can be put on EA. They gave an inexperienced team insufficient resources and failed to market/publicize the game properly. And microtransactions/DLC wouldn't have changed this. It's relevant for Battlefront because their first iteration was significantly criticized by succeeded in spite of this. You're probably not going to get lucky a second time, which explains the microtransaction focus. Battlefront 2 would never fail, because it's a shooter and it's Star Wars, but an underwhelming performance is still a massive disappointment and microtransactions are a proven money maker to hedge against slow sales.

Reactions: Lancer

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
I think the big thing people are missing too is the campaign totally gives away a major part of the movie.

Iden and Del end up together at the end of the game, but it fast forwards years into the future where Del is apparently alone again. Kylo Ren and Hask (the remaining member of the inferno squad) kill him/interrogate him to find out who has the missing piece of the map to Luke. Just before Hask kills Del, Del says "don't go after them, it won't end well for you," which heavily implies Luke, Iden and a likely baby Rey are on the run. Which obviously means Luke is Rey's father. Not that it was hard to deduce since there's like, 4 force sensitive people left in the galaxy as far was we know"

There's campaign DLC coming too in which DICE is instructing people not to play if they have plans on seeing the Last Jedi since they both launch in the same week.

I also love how this garbage ass campaign is considered canon (apparently) yet the oodles of good Star Wars games (KOTOR/Jedi Academy/etc) are left out because "muh confusing universe"

No, not surprising but there's definitely way more than four force sensitive people left. Force sensitivity doesn't depend on Jedi/Sith to exist, it's like mutants in Marvel (well, pre-Logan Marvel)

There's still hope KOTOR will become canon. Revan almost got put into the animated series and Disney is allowing SWTOR to keep creating new content. It's also been suggested that Disney only cares about stories that have happened in the recent years before Phantom Menance, and everything after so they might just say f*** it, we'll let you make a new KOTOR single player game and call it canon.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX

How do you get

baby rey

out of any of that?

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Havent had too many issues myself. I hate how long it takes to load a match with this game though

Rubber banding galore. Dunno if it's me or the PC servers, but I don't seem to have this problem in any other game at the moment.

Although I just got MVP so....hurray for lag hacking? :laugh:

I had no idea what was even happening.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Rubber banding galore. Dunno if it's me or the PC servers, but I don't seem to have this problem in any other game at the moment.

Although I just got MVP so....hurray for lag hacking? :laugh:

I had no idea what was even happening.
Yeah I am on Xbox so maybe? Lol, a W is a W at least :)

Errr an MVP is an MVP ;)

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Well, that campaign was....borderline insulting.

They basically said "see how cool a Star Wars campaign could be? Well SCREW YOU!"

It jumped around like crazy. Could have easily been a proper length campaign but massive sections were just....missing.

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Game is unplayable tonight. Rubber banding and warping around. It's really bad in the death star wreckage starfighter map, you'll smash into debris that you thought was half a mile away. Not having any fun.

ColbyChaos

Marty Snoozeman's Father
Sep 27, 2017
Will County
Well, that campaign was....borderline insulting.

They basically said "see how cool a Star Wars campaign could be? Well SCREW YOU!"

It jumped around like crazy. Could have easily been a proper length campaign but massive sections were just....missing.

I knew that the campaign was going to be disapointing/bad one way or another what got me was the thing that I feel like everyone knew was going to happen with Iden swapping to the rebellion like 2 missions in, it was so damn predictable. They advertised it hard as seeing things from the empire p.o.v just for Iden to basically go "new year, new me" and just swap sides it all was extremly cheesy you cant just do that in war. Even the collectibles arent even real collectibles just boxes you look for, they dont give you anything like concept art, just crafting parts if you find all of said item on a level.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Still the 2nd most wish-listed PS/Xbox game on Amazon. Its the #1 selling game on Xbox digital too.

Crazy.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
I knew that the campaign was going to be disapointing/bad one way or another what got me was the thing that I feel like everyone knew was going to happen with Iden swapping to the rebellion like 2 missions in, it was so damn predictable. They advertised it hard as seeing things from the empire p.o.v just for Iden to basically go "new year, new me" and just swap sides it all was extremly cheesy you cant just do that in war. Even the collectibles arent even real collectibles just boxes you look for, they dont give you anything like concept art, just crafting parts if you find all of said item on a level.

Yeah, I mean, I feel like there was a pretty decent (if very generic) story line in there, but they moved WAY too fast. Loyalties at the flip of a switch. You were supposed to care about characters you'd barely seen. It was like watching only the action scenes out of a movie without any real context.

Disappointing. I was really interested to see this time period and especially from the Empire POV.

I really wanted them to put in a campaign in the original Battlefront, but this is almost worse because it gives you a taste of what could have been. :laugh:

Fortunately, I'm still having fun with the multiplayer. It's not a game you can really play competitively, but it's fun to jump into a few matches and shoot some lasers at people.

Except on that Death Star map. Easily my least favourite map. I pretty much just straight up quit when that one comes up in the rotation.

Not-at-all-pro Tip: Play the starfighters on Kashyyyk. You get objective score for no reason. It's great.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
You want fun? try playing Starfighter Assault with the servers as they are now right now. I'm on XBOX and it's horrid.

Hard more: Play with the busted servers while drunk. If you can do okay under those conditions you're probably the best pilot in the galaxy.

Reactions: ColbyChaos

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Map wise i don't mind Starkiller Base. Seems open enough for both teams to make a push at winning it outside of storming the base gates. What a ****show that usually turns into. :laugh:

Kamino sucks. It's a steamroll for either side depending how the match goes. Either the republic holds their ground on first phase or the separatists break through and basically become a snowball flying downhill

Kashyyk sucks. Republic almost has no ground to stand on to begin with and if you push hard enough, they're basically boxed in and getting spawn camped.

Takodana sucks too. It's bad enough in galactic assault since you can't see the enemy (can't kill what you can't see, fun fact.) but in strike it might be the worst map i've seen in the history of FPS games.

Mos Eisley isn't bad. Rebels have a slight advantage but it feels like it's winnable for both sides, especially if the imperials are smart enough to pile up a couple of walkers for the last couple pushes.

Hoth: Feels a lot similar to the first battlefront's map. Not bad either.

Death Star is the worst; Empire has way too strong of an initial defensive foothold. The last match i played on here i went like 18-0 and all i did was stand by the desk with the death star plans.

Haven't played on Jakku, Theed (Since the beta) or Yavin yet.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
Star Wars deserves better than the worst set of maps DICE has ever shipped a game with.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
All the maps have at least one terrible section of clusterwhatsit. The Death Star might be the worst map I've ever played in any game ever. I often quit when it comes up. :laugh:

The weirdest part of most maps is the presence of starfighters. On most of the maps, the combat area is so small and so open you can't help but spawn kill or be spawn killed.

I actually like the levels where there are bots and a huge battle happening in the sky, but you get a ridiculous amount of points for participating. Unfortunately, on levels like the first two phases of Starkiller Base, you have such easy access to the ground you can suck horribly at flying and still decimate the enemy team with strafing runs once you have even the faintest idea where they will be standing.

I think Yavin is my favourite. It has no glaring flaws until the final phase which is always a mess of hero spam anyways.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->