Star Wars Battlefront II (Nov 17)

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
s'tI
Are they? Their consoles are massively under powered, their online infrastructure is almost non-existent, and they have yet to introduce micro-transactions or loot boxes to any of their games.

They absolutely are. HUGE company with a huge budget that sells lots and lots of video games.

That’s a little rude, so let’s take it down a notch. I feel like I’m probably not conveying my points very well if you think I’m whining.

I don’t care about BF2. I won’t buy it, and I won’t support it in any way. I stay away from AAA titles like this as much as I can, so that should answer your question of if I’ve played this game, or not. I primarily play Nintendo titles, or games made by companies that do not employ these anti-consumer policies. That said, I’m rallying against BF2 because of this loot system. Everything I have read and seen has shown that you can buy crates in order to get yourself a competitive advantage over other players. Whether or not you, personally, have done this is not what I am questioning. Whether or not you think this provides an advantage over other players is not up for debate - when you can outdamage opponents using these higher level cards that can be bought in loot crates, that scenario exists.

What I’m saying is that this is the first time I have seen this type of anti-consumer nonsense in a game before. Other games with loot boxes don’t affect the actual gameplay, but in this game the actual gameplay is affected based on what you get in these loot boxes. And the fact that this is the reality of the situation means that there will be people buying loot boxes because they can, and because they want to have an advantage over other players.

And the best solution to solving this crap is to not buy the game at all.
It's not rude at all. You are constantly complaining and criticizing a game that you are very up front about "wont buy it and wont support it" without even playing it for yourself. That's like saying you hate Ferrari's because all they do is want your money and my Ford Pinto drives just fine. That's great - to each their own but you are constantly trying to tell me I am wrong because you saw a youtube video and I am actually playing the game telling you how it really is but you aren't listening.

Yes, the loot boxes can affect the gameplay. I am saying it's really not as big of a deal as you and many others are making it out to be and its easy to avoid. But you just want to keep complaining about it. We get it, you don't want anything to do with this game. So why sit here and just complain about it? You will never play it. You made your point. Congrats.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
People only want them because the option is there to give them an advantage over other players. It’s the option being there that fuels the players’ desire to buy into microtransactions. As long as they can feasibly get a leg up over their competition buy spending a little extra money, they will. That’s just game companies manipulating the competitive nature of humans to gain some extra money.

While I see your point I'm not sure that's the whole of it. People buy this stuff when it's only cosmetic in Overwatch just as much as they buy it when it gives you an advantage in Hearthstone.

I can see where putting in a competitive edge can give people more of a manipulative, scumbag incentive, and it certainly hurts game play.

And the best solution to solving this crap is to not buy the game at all.

Maybe.

Given EA's track record, I actually think they are more likely to have no idea what went wrong and shut down DICE. :laugh:

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
f***ing mobile gaming at a full $60 price. Yeah, f*** that bullshit. Even if you don't pay for the microtransactions, the way the game works basically forces you into spending money to get anywhere because of stupid shit like that. f*** you so much EA. It's a f***ing mobile game.

Reactions: Starry Knight

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
****ing mobile gaming at a full $60 price. Yeah, **** that bull****. Even if you don't pay for the microtransactions, the way the game works basically forces you into spending money to get anywhere because of stupid **** like that. **** you so much EA. It's a ****ing mobile game.

EA (and all other AAA publishers pretty much) do want this whole "games as a service" thing, so this is probably just the start.

If you hate it this much now, buckle up my friend....

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
s'tI

They absolutely are. HUGE company with a huge budget that sells lots and lots of video games.

It's not rude at all. You are constantly complaining and criticizing a game that you are very up front about "wont buy it and wont support it" without even playing it for yourself. That's like saying you hate Ferrari's because all they do is want your money and my Ford Pinto drives just fine. That's great - to each their own but you are constantly trying to tell me I am wrong because you saw a youtube video and I am actually playing the game telling you how it really is but you aren't listening.

Yes, the loot boxes can affect the gameplay. I am saying it's really not as big of a deal as you and many others are making it out to be and its easy to avoid. But you just want to keep complaining about it. We get it, you don't want anything to do with this game. So why sit here and just complain about it? You will never play it. You made your point. Congrats.
What does me playing the game have to do with anything? Just because I won’t play the game doesn’t mean I can’t spot anti-consumer policies when they’re there. I haven’t tried to tell you anything about your own opinion, because it’s your opinion. I’ve laid out facts as they’ve been presented to me, and I don’t need to play the game to trust in people who have. Just because you have had a different experience from the people I have heard from doesn’t mean that their experiences are less valid than yours.

All that being said, you can call me a complainer all you want. That’s not what I’m doing, but if you want to perceive my thoughts that way, then go ahead. I’m trying to let people know that this game is the first of its kind with this loot box system, and if gamers don’t buy this game at all then they are telling game developers & game producers that they won’t stand for this crap. We have to stop it before it starts, and this is the next evolution of microtransactions that’s about to take off. If it ends here, then we’ll all be better for it. You’ve constantly said you don’t like these practices put into place by EA, but you aren’t doing anything to let them know that, and in effect you are telling them that you are okay with their anti-consumer policies by actually buying this game.

While I see your point I'm not sure that's the whole of it. People buy this stuff when it's only cosmetic in Overwatch just as much as they buy it when it gives you an advantage in Hearthstone.

I can see where putting in a competitive edge can give people more of a manipulative, ******* incentive, and it certainly hurts game play.

Maybe.

Given EA's track record, I actually think they are more likely to have no idea what went wrong and shut down DICE. :laugh:
Actually, yeah, that’s true. I wouldn’t be upset by that, though, given the amount of uninspired, unfinished, and microtransactions-fueled games that DICE has put out recently.

The most upsetting part of coming to that conclusion is realizing that Titanfall is going to go the same way as all of the other EA produced garbage out there. Which is a monumental shame, given how great Titanfall 2 is/was.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
Actually, yeah, that’s true. I wouldn’t be upset by that, though, given the amount of uninspired, unfinished, and microtransactions-fueled games that DICE has put out recently.

The most upsetting part of coming to that conclusion is realizing that Titanfall is going to go the same way as all of the other EA produced garbage out there. Which is a monumental shame, given how great Titanfall 2 is/was.

Thing is, this is the true insidious power of EA.

They buy great studios and ride the nostalgia wave they've built up right into the ground for crazy profits, and then shut them down once the gravy train runs out. Then they do it again. And again.

I don't think they are quite at that point yet (game is still fun in spite of all the antics), but you can almost sense it coming.

The redeeming part of this game seems to be the campaign. Only allowed three missions, but so far it seems like a good one.

Last edited:

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
s'tI

He can whine. This game is fun!

And? COD WW2 has something similar. So they’re preventing farming and making players earn things? Big whoop.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
That is the definition of a freemium game - they provide you with enough content at the very beginning of the game, but then require purchases of microtransactions in order to avoid artificially elongated grinding times to get the gear that other people who do pay already have.

It’s a bit less definitive than that, though. Even if nobody buys into the microtransactions, EA will still have them in their games just in case someone decides to buy advantages over other players. It provides an incentive to get people to spend more money than the game is worth in order to not be left behind the rest of the player base. We can bemoan microtransactions all we want, but even if nobody bought into them, they would still be there just to provide the incentive to gain the competitive edge over competition.

It’s an uphill battle to fight against these anti-consumer policies in AAA titles, but they won’t go away unless people stop buying the game outright.

So don’t play it. I love it.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
"Pay to win" is being WAY too kind to this system.

"Pay to get a chance at maybe getting a relevant objective advantage" is a bit more accurate.

They actually diluted things more and made it worse for people when they removed legendary cards from boxes. At least regular players had a chance at them. Now, they don't, and they take an immense amount of scrap to craft. Guess who has plenty of scrap?

People are overestimating how much time people actually have to play and grind these games. The system is clearly meant to stretch things out to the point where a normal, average player will feel pressure to buy boxes in order to compete. The math is absolutely clear on that.

I'm not going to support this bullshit.

May 27, 2012
Earth

Streamer was playing Arcade Mode. After awhile he stopped earning credits and there was a 3 hour cool down until he can get more credits lol.

Commander Clueless

Sep 10, 2008
They actually diluted things more and made it worse for people when they removed legendary cards from boxes. At least regular players had a chance at them. Now, they don't, and they take an immense amount of scrap to craft. Guess who has plenty of scrap?

People are overestimating how much time people actually have to play and grind these games. The system is clearly meant to stretch things out to the point where a normal, average player will feel pressure to buy boxes in order to compete. The math is absolutely clear on that.

I'm not going to support this bull****.

I'm gathering that EA is essentially turning every game into a CCG.

I'm getting flashbacks of grinding forever to get a single legendary card in Hearthstone. :laugh: :(

At least skill can compensate for lack of legendary cards in Assault. Or it could....if I had any. :(

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
What does me playing the game have to do with anything? .
You are in the topic discussing it and just complaining about it without actually playing it and declaring that you will never own it like it makes you feel better to say that or something. It has everything to do with it. I am countering a lot of your points as someone who has actually played / been playing it but you won't have it. You just want to whine about it without ever playing it.

He can whine. This game is fun!
A-Men! Best post so far.

I think I will go play some right now. Later haters!

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
For anyone wondering about the campaign, people are reporting that it is shorter than the expected 6 hours and that there is no ending whatsoever.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY

He basically straight up admitted that it's pay to win. Especially with his A-wing. Basically, he kills so quickly and has a very hard time dying. He spent 20 hours to get to rank 20 so he can use 4-Star cards. He spent $100 on the premium currency and this shows how you're basically paid to win. So now people who aren't paying for anything but are playing the game, would you find enjoyment playing someone like this?

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
People complaining about 30% health boosts, 20% DPS boosts, 40% mag capacity boosts etc... are just whiners don't ya know

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com

He basically straight up admitted that it's pay to win. Especially with his A-wing. Basically, he kills so quickly and has a very hard time dying. He spent 20 hours to get to rank 20 so he can use 4-Star cards. He spent $100 on the premium currency and this shows how you're basically paid to win. So now people who aren't paying for anything but are playing the game, would you find enjoyment playing someone like this?

Probably not as much, but if I got frustrated, I'd leave the lobby. Guys like this are probably a minority of players. It sucks but at the end of the day, I'm not playing competitively to begin with.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
I played the game at but a Lunch today and while the things that everyone is ticked about is nothing compared to the online gameplay.

All the previous fun games from the previous version - gone
Spawning - gotten worse
Current game modes - betas at best

If anyone who is a fan of the last game plays this game, they’re not going to be happy.

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Probably not as much, but if I got frustrated, I'd leave the lobby. Guys like this are probably a minority of players. It sucks but at the end of the day, I'm not playing competitively to begin with.

You don't need to be playing competitively to feel the sting of this whole situation. You can be completely casual with it but if you run into people like this, I'm sure the enjoyment is going to be out the window.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad