Online Series: Star Trek: Discovery - Topic II

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by johnjm22, Sep 11, 2017.

1. johnjm22

johnjm22 16,005

The "HD" is definitely not as good as Netflix. It's also not in surround sound.

The commercials are really loud and off putting if you get the 5.99/month plan.

2. SolidSnakeUS

SolidSnakeUS Registered User Sponsor

I watched the first 4 episodes now and I'm honestly enjoying it. It's definitely different from every other Trek but I think that's fine. I'm enjoying it.

tacogeoff and Cloned like this.
  3. RobBrown4PM

RobBrown4PM Pringles?

It's overwhelming and takes you out of the moment. You spend so much time looking at everything else but the ships and characters, it's simply ridiculous.

Take a look at the BSG and Expanse school of space visuals. They have some amazing scenery, and the ships and characters work with the scenery, where as in discovery, the ships and characters become apart of the scenery. This is not what you want to see happening.

Blender and johnjm22 like this.
  4. HawksFan74

HawksFan74 Tread Lightly

So dumb, I really want to catch up on this series. My friend said the stream was basically unwatchable on his tv. I have the ap built in to my TV. You are charging almost Neftflix prices CBS for very little content and ****ty service.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2017
  5. johnjm22

johnjm22 16,005

I wouldn't say the stream quality is bad, it's just not as good as Netflix and others.

There's lots of content on All Access, it mostly just mediocre forgettable content.

6. Tawnos

Tawnos A guy with a bass

Not my fault you contradicted yourself in your post. Twice.

Also, the problems with TNG early on weren’t ones that would be made specious by plot developments later on.

7. Osprey

Osprey Registered User

If you thought that you had good evidence of that that would stand up to scrutiny, you would've given it, rather than offering an unsupported accusation. Twice.

The fact of the matter is that you asked us to explain our argument to you. I obliged and politely corrected you on the core misunderstanding that you have with our argument. Your response to that wasn't to accept the correction or even debate it, but to deflect and dismiss it on the technicality that I contradicted myself, which is lazy, as well as rude because I gave you an honest explanation. On top of that, you've had two chances to back it up or even just reveal what you're referring to and haven't, so I can't address it. That's not debating fairly.

What was the point of asking for an explanation and then deflecting unless you weren't really interested in hearing what we had to say in the first place? This is why I suggested that you appear more interested in characterizing our arguments for us than in letting us speak for ourselves. That impression is only helped when, after being corrected on specifics, you switch to vague one-line statements like the above that can't be so easily corrected. If you're not willing to acknowledge or even permit a counter, it just makes your argument look incredibly flimsy.

Since you asked for the explanation of our position, would you care to address it now? Would you also care to explain how, in that explanation, I contradicted myself, since you appear to be conveniently using that impression to dismiss the whole thing? Since I treated your question as an honest one and gave you an honest, polite answer, doing the same in the return is the least that you can do.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 6:25 AM
  8. jumptheshark

jumptheshark McDavid Headquarters Sponsor

being an idiot
    still not warming up to it

9. Tawnos

Tawnos A guy with a bass

@Osprey not worth the time anymore. Gain some self awareness.

I just look forward to the day this thread is for fans of the show.

10. SolidSnakeUS

I like the show. It's definitely different from anything Trek has done before but I'm enjoying it. Honestly, I could re-watch this show.

11. johnjm22

johnjm22 16,005

Star Trek: Discovery Episodes 5-9 Titles

Episode 5: Choose Your Pain
    Episode 6: Lethe
    Episode 7: Magic to Make the Sanest Man Go Mad
    Episode 8: Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum
    Episode 9: Into the Forest I Go

12. johnjm22

johnjm22 16,005

Same here.

Even with out comparing it to other Trek, it's just not a compelling show in its own right.

Good TV and movies are about compelling characters and this show just doesn't have that (yet).

Blender likes this.
  13. Osprey

Osprey Registered User

It was worth your time to mischaracterize our position, but not to be accountable for it when you were corrected on it. It's ironic that you're telling me to gain self awareness while you're running away from an argument that you started.

It's understandable to not want to listen to criticism of your favorite show, but attacking people who appear to be being mean to it is just being insecure. If you want to pretend that the thread has only fans in it, though, you can simply put the rest of us on ignore. That way, you could plug your ears to the criticism.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 9:51 PM
  14. Osprey

Osprey Registered User

Is it just me or do the show titles seem a bit pretentious and trying too hard to sound clever? The last episode was The Butcher's Knife Cares Not for the Lamb's Cry. TNG was a smart show that communicated it through its writing, not its titles. In fact, the vast majority of its episode titles were only one to three words long.

15. johnjm22

johnjm22 16,005

Some of my favorite TNG episodes:

Redemption
    In Theory
    The Nth Degree
    Data's Day
    Family
    Yesterday's Enterprise
    The Defector
    All Good Things...
    Ship In A Bottle
    Chain of Command
    The Inner Light
    Cause and Effect

They do seem like very simple titles in comparison to STD. They also make logical sense for the story each one is named after.

I'm still not sure why episode 4 of STD was called "The Butcher's Knife Cares Not for the Lamb's Cry."

16. The Nemesis

The Nemesis Semper Tyrannus

Trek has always had some clunky titles (For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched The Sky, or DS9's "Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges" (I had to look that one up)) but I do feel a little like the rate is a little higher on discovery so far. It's waaay way down the list of things I'm concerned about for the show, but it is there.

I liked the last episode more than the previous ones. The Trek soul is starting to seep through some of the cracks in its BSG "dark 'n gritty" facade. If that trend continues they may manage to pull out of this early funk and be back on track for the standard post-TOS trek tradition of "the first season or two is kinda shaky, then they settle in". But I worry that won't work in today's TV landscape where the axe falls quicker than ever. Enterprise got off to the same rocky start and even its improvement in its last couple of seasons couldn't push it past the 4-year mark.

17. Osprey

Osprey Registered User

Those are two of my favorites, as well. Actually, I've long considered those my two most favorite. Cause and Effect is such a clever, original concept (sure, it's like Groundhog Day, but with the important difference that no one knows it's happening).

I think that it's a reference to the crew's indifference toward the tardigrade's captivity and, specifically, putting it through pain in order to navigate.

Not to sound contradictory, since you may be right about other series, but TNG certainly didn't have clunky titles. As I said, the vast majority were only 1 to 3 words and very descriptive. I actually looked through the entire list of 178 titles and the longest ones were Where No One Has Gone Before and The Best of Both Worlds, and even those aren't bad.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 8:58 PM
  18. Blender

Blender Registered User

It's definitely a reference to a disregard for the well being of the tardigrade.

19. RobBrown4PM

RobBrown4PM Pringles?

I'm not to big a stickler when it comes to episode titles. TNG and DS9 had some great titles though, "measure of a man", "Best of Both Worlds", "A Call to Arms", "Duet", "The Visitor".

20. johnjm22

johnjm22 16,005

"Cause and Effect" is a good episode. So much fun. I also love "Clues."

"The Defector" is probably my favorite TNG episode though. Great acting and dialog. The guest actor who portrays Admiral Jarok absolutely kills it. One of the best guest actor performances in Star Trek history.

There's lots more good TNG episodes I can list as well.

21. RobBrown4PM

RobBrown4PM Pringles?

The GF and I are listening to mission logs at the moment. It's been quite the romp down memory lane listening to John and Ken talk about TNG episodes.

22. tacogeoff

tacogeoff Registered User

Sold after the 4th episode. Acting is still pretty clunky but it is an entertaining show. Not a trekkie at all so I don't really have any complaints about comparing it to old shows or titles of the episodes. Can't wait for the next one.

23. SolidSnakeUS

The thing is, I am a pretty hardcore Trekkie and I am still enjoying this. I know it's a different era of television and it doesn't feel like every other Star Trek show, but it's still Star Trek.

24. Acadmus

Acadmus pastured mod

The beginning of every Trek show has featured clunky acting...the characters never start out as well developed, and the actor and writers have to develop them over time.

The series just didn't grab me, though - I couldn't get through the first episode, I sure as hell am not paying CBS, a network I generally despise anyway, for a show that didn't interest me at all from the start.

25. tacogeoff

tacogeoff Registered User

That's pretty weak. It's free in canada