Stanley Cup??? No, No, No! Crosby Cup!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scintillating

Jul 14, 2004
Halifax, NS
There are still some diehard optimists on this site, like Stevie Y, who still think the season can be salvaged. Just, for one moment, imagine it happens.
Really, Lord Stanley's cup would be up for grabs. A 6 week season means any team that has one hot streak makes the playoffs. Just what hockey needs - a Nashville/Atlanta final!

Seriously, would you care if your franchise won the cup this year....maybe a little, but I'd seriously be looking at the draft as the big prize. So, I'd call my players who effed off to Europe and tell them to stay there for the remainder of the season, and call up a few players from the AHL, IHL, UHL....where ever, put blindfolds on them and tell them to give it their all!

In my dreamworld, June 25th would be the greatest day in Canadiens (or insert your favourite tanked team here) history since 1993, as Bob Gainey announces: "With the first overall pick, the Montreal Canadiens select, from Cole Harbour, NS, the Rimouski Oceanic's Sidney Crosby!"

The point to all this is that a season at this stage in the game would undoubtedly in my mind turn into one ugly affair, with each team trying to outworst the other....except maybe the Leafs, who would gladly drink from a tainted cup...sorry...haven't done any Leaf bashing all season!

www.freestanley.com

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
Indeed,whenever they do hand out the Sidney Cup it has the potential to be a
very messy affair.

AlexGodynyuk

Feb 3, 2005
I wouldn't tank a season for any player.
Living in Ottawa, I remember when the Senators and Sharks were chasing for the Daigle cup (as the newspapers). Seeing who could out-lose the other in an attempt to get the best junior player since Mario Lemieux.
I think it's an insult to all fans to tank a season. Even if you don't have a chance, you have to give it your best shot.

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
pei fan said:
Indeed,whenever they do hand out the Sidney Cup it has the potential to be a
very messy affair.

They will have to determine a draft order before the next draft. Big question as to how it will look.

Hockeyfan02

Oct 10, 2002
Pistivity
Visit site
Some people are way too hung up on prospects if theyd rather have their team draft a highly touted prospect over winning a stanley cup and would call it the greatest moment in their franchise's history.

Game_Misconduct

Oct 13, 2004
Chili said:
They will have to determine a draft order before the next draft. Big question as to how it will look.

The only legitimate way to do it would be to use last season's standings. Beyond that, they'd be reduced to drawing names out of a hat.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
ResidentAlien said:
Care to elaborate oh Sane American?
:)

It is because we can not stand the sound of the word 'ah-boot' . . . it is like nails on a chalkboard to us. I am glad that I could help out. ;)

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I seriously hope there won't be a season this year.

It would be so annoying to see a team like the Boston Bruins, who have about 3 players under contract tank 20 games and come out with Crosby or Brule or whomever at the end of it.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Scintillating said:
The point to all this is that a season at this stage in the game would undoubtedly in my mind turn into one ugly affair, with each team trying to outworst the other....except maybe the Leafs, who would gladly drink from a tainted cup...sorry...haven't done any Leaf bashing all season!

www.freestanley.com

Right, and I'm sure all those Habs fans wouldn't be all over a cup win like a monkey on a cupcake if the Habs won.

Game_Misconduct said:
The only legitimate way to do it would be to use last season's standings. Beyond that, they'd be reduced to drawing names out of a hat.

Drawing names out of a hat doesn't sound so bad. If anything the entertainment value alone would be interesting. The whole "weighted lottery" thing has already lost it's appeal, imo.

Put every teams name in a hat, team picked gets the first pick. Subsequently you go based on standings.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Game_Misconduct said:
The only legitimate way to do it would be to use last season's standings.

If I was a team at the top of the standings, I would argue this being unfair. Too much time will have elapsed since those standings.

Maybe it is the most likely scenario but I don't know if it is the fairest. Of course, being a Pens fans, I'd take it. :)

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
This has been covered by other threads. Even though I am a Pens Fan, I am coming around to weighting the system based on three years standings, as some have spoken of. Someone posted what that order worked out to, and the movement was not very erratic at all. The teams toward the bottom were pretty much toward the bottom last year and toward the top, again toward the top last year. That seems to be the 'fairest' among the systems, merely because looking at the list feweest teams seem to get screwed.

Chili

Jun 10, 2004
Jaded-Fan said:
This has been covered by other threads. Even though I am a Pens Fan, I am coming around to weighting the system based on three years standings, as some have spoken of. Someone posted what that order worked out to, and the movement was not very erratic at all. The teams toward the bottom were pretty much toward the bottom last year and toward the top, again toward the top last year. That seems to be the 'fairest' among the systems, merely because looking at the list feweest teams seem to get screwed.

You say this has been covered in other threads. Has there been any mention of a league statement of any kind regarding possible draft order? I have yet to see one.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
Just take Washington and Pittsburgh out of the Crosby lottery since they have Ovechkin and Malkin already, and then do the lottery for the top pick with the next 5 teams.

Meh that doesn't work either. *sigh*

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Jaded-Fan said:
This has been covered by other threads. Even though I am a Pens Fan, I am coming around to weighting the system based on three years standings, as some have spoken of.

Of course you wouldn't mind. Pittsburgh probably has the lowest points totals in the NHL at that time.

It should be a completely random lottery for every round.

macho232

Nov 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Battousai said:
Crazy Canadians...and you wonder why you can't sell hockey in America.

The people in Cleveland might recommend this strategy. One player has landed them a new owner and the greatest show on earth. Crosby will change whatever franchise he goes to forever.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Hockeyfan02 said:
Some people are way too hung up on prospects if theyd rather have their team draft a highly touted prospect over winning a stanley cup and would call it the greatest moment in their franchise's history.

True, and many of the same are also into wacky conspiracy theories. And, seemingly, have never played a competitive sport in their life.

AS IF you could convince a team of professional athletes to tank games for a shiny draft position.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Chili said:
You say this has been covered in other threads. Has there been any mention of a league statement of any kind regarding possible draft order? I have yet to see one.

Two statements that I have seen, maybe I can find the links.

First said that no draft until a new CBA is signed, after which it would happen soon thereafter. Also said that the new CBA would handle the order.

Second was recently, Bettman said on a radio interview that the draft would happen, and that it would be unfair to automatically let the same team (Caps) who picked first last draft to choose again first this draft. Other than that the system has yet to be determined.

ps, the three season average, as compiled by BronxBruin in another thread. I think that it shows that movement is not quite as random from year to year as people think. We can not of course 100% predict how this past year would come out, but as shown by the three year averages, if you suck for one year you likely suck for a few, good for one, more often than not you are not going to fall off a cliff. There are exceptions but they are few and far between and this is as good a predictor as any can come up with. Certainly a hell of a lot better than throwing everyone in a hat. Or someone show me where I am wrong overall:

If the NHL were to decide the order based on the average draft order over the past 3 years, the draft would look like this:

1) Pittsburgh/Columbus
2) Pittsburgh/Columbus
3) Florida
4) Atlanta
5) Carolina
6) Nashville
7) Rangers
8) Buffalo
9) Washington
10) Anaheim/Phoenix
11) Anaheim/Phoenix
12) Calgary
13) Chicago
14) Minnesota/Montreal
15) Minnesota/Montreal
16) Los Angeles
17) Edmonton
18) Tampa Bay
19) Islanders
20) San Jose
21) Dallas
22) St. Louis
23) Vancouver
24) Ottawa
25) Boston/New Jersey
26) Boston/New Jersey
27) Philadelphia
28) Colorado
29) Toronto
30) Detroit

Last edited:

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Stephen said:
Of course you wouldn't mind. Pittsburgh probably has the lowest points totals in the NHL at that time.

It should be a completely random lottery for every round.

*points up* . . . no, using last played season's standings the Pens are last. Weighting the last three years they are not last by themselves. I as a Pens' fan of course would prefer to be alone as last, but see where weighting the last three years is fairest.

p.s.

Before I hear again about the teams at the bottom of that list being 'torn apart' by the new salary cap, a couple of points. Much as I would dearly love watching teams that have enjoyed free spending for years get torn to pieces, no way it is going to happen. $42 million or $45 million Cap, 25% rollback, lots of contracts expiring this year, I doubt even Detroit or Toronto loses more than a player. And they will STILL have a competitive advantage, does anyone doubt that they will still spend up to every allowable dollar? Does anyone doubt that they will be one of only 4 or 5 teams that will do so and who will continue to maintain an advantage of $15 million or so over teams at the bottom of that list? No, there is no argument that I have seen that justifies any chance of a single team in the bottom ten of that list above getting any of the top five picks. Merely is greed following years of greed. You all have had your way for a long time, move over and let the field be even for once.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->