Stanley Cup champions to play European champions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Petey21

Dec 19, 2003
Sweden
www.geocities.com
A couple days ago I read in a Swedish newspaper (bottom link) that Gary Bettman has met with René Fasel, president of the IIHF, in Vancouver, and that they apparently discussed the possibility of letting the Stanley Cup champions play the European Champions Cup winners "in the future". No details about venues, dates or anything were revealed though. This season Dynamo Moscow won the European Champions Cup. Here's a link with some general info about the tournament and a possible future matchup against the Stanley Cup champions.

http://www.iihf.com/news/iihfpr1106.htm

And here's the newspaper article (which is in Swedish)

http://www.dn.se/DNet/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=672&a=511440&previousRenderType=6

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
Petey21 said:
A couple days ago I read in a Swedish newspaper (bottom link) that Gary Bettman has met with René Fasel, president of the IIHF, in Vancouver, and that they apparently discussed the possibility of letting the Stanley Cup champions play the European Champions Cup winners "in the future". No details about venues, dates or anything were revealed though. This season Dynamo Moscow won the European Champions Cup. Here's a link with some general info about the tournament and a possible future matchup against the Stanley Cup champions.

http://www.iihf.com/news/iihfpr1106.htm

And here's the newspaper article (which is in Swedish)

http://www.dn.se/DNet/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=672&a=511440&previousRenderType=6

I don't see the benefit to Bettman. The NHL champions have little to gain and a lot to lose. Imagine how poorly it would reflect on the NHL if they lost.

Drake1588

UNATCO
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2002
Northern Virginia
Given the length of the NHL season and playoffs, I can't really see the union agreeing to this, at least not without some form of compensation.

Future in this context strikes me as being no earlier than the next CBA re-negotiation. Still, I don't see the players being keen about this. They may well believe that the season is long enough and the off-season short enough as it is, for the teams that go four full playoff rounds.

With the discussion of an enlarged NHL playoffs and the addition of a short wild card round, the playoffs are poised to get even longer.

If they do this, my guess is that the turnout would be partial, much like the Wold Championships. Some would relish the chance to play, others would decline on health and recuperation grounds, including some star players. Is this feasible if only 14 members of the Cup-winning team elect to participate?

MaV

Jun 23, 2002
Drake1588 said:
Given the length of the NHL season and playoffs, I can't really see the union agreeing to this, at least not without some form of compensation.

No way it would be after the NHL playoffs. European teams have even ended their season a couple of months before that! Most likely next preseason.

Oilers Ent

Aug 31, 2002
Burnaby, BC
robandgen.blogspot.com
An event like this each year would be a great thing to have in the summertime that is barren and lousy for hockey action.

I think Bettman should really look at this. After all, I imagine the potential profits of a 7 game series split half/half by the NHL/IIHF would be great for both groups.

Also, the players would have another asterisk to put on their resumes were they to win the series.

Some players might have reservations about it though due to the toll their bodies take in the NHL playoffs. Sometimes they need the whole summer to recover.

It definitely is something to think about.

Belgian Fan

Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
Yeah this is a potential big promotional tool. It would just be in the preseason probably or just before training camp and it will be some kind of friendly, so there will be no loss of credibility when the NHL looses, but it will be funny.

It's probably comparable to the NBA preseason games here, or the old 'McDonald's open' tournament in Paris where the NBA champs would play the top 3 European sides in a preseason friendly game. I think the players liked it and it was a great promotion asset.

This is definately something the NHL should consider and it doesn't cost them anything except a few plane tickets and it gets a ton of free promotion.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
The benefit to the NHL would be to promote NHL hockey in Europe. Somehow, I don't think the NHLPA will be happy with another round of playoffs without compensation.

I don't like it simply because I think another round of playoffs would be murder on the Stanley Cup winners. Four rounds of playoffs is brutal as it is.

Belgian Fan

Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
moneyp said:
The benefit to the NHL would be to promote NHL hockey in Europe. Somehow, I don't think the NHLPA will be happy with another round of playoffs without compensation.

I don't like it simply because I think another round of playoffs would be murder on the Stanley Cup winners. Four rounds of playoffs is brutal as it is.

It will never be another playoff round. Simply a one off game with a lot of scoring and not too much seriousness involved. Think off an all star game, without the stars ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->