Stanley Cup a challenge cup?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mudcrutch79

Jul 5, 2003
The Big Smoke
www.mc79hockey.com
Bicycle Repairman said:
No, because the NHL has not dissolved or terminated itself. They are merely on hiatus.

And because the trustees are essentially controlled by the league, the question is moot.

The writer even admits his folly.

Boy, you really like to pick and choose your words eh? You must have missed the part beforehand where it says "the agreement shall remain in force so long as the league continues to be the world's leading professional hockey league as determined by it's playing calibre..."

If the trustees so chose, or if someone else could get standing to sue on the agreement, I'd think the fact that the NHL's playing calibre is below that of a Novice A team this season would be pretty credible evidence that it's no longer the top professional league in the world.

Roots73

TMLTP- ITS IN THE GAME!
May 10, 2004
Maybe they should take a lesson from King Solomon and divide the cup in half?

If they are going to sue for the cup, they should at least get the bowl. If the Stanley Cup was to be removed from the NHL, then only take what you brought into the league. The base of the cup was added on after the NHL claimed exclusive rights to awarding Lord Stanley's mug and should stay with the NHL. A broken trophy for a broken league.

Give the trustee's the bowl and they can play with that if they want to.

:lol

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
Roots73 said:
Maybe they should take a lesson from King Solomon and divide the cup in half?

If they are going to sue for the cup, they should at least get the bowl. If the Stanley Cup was to be removed from the NHL, then only take what you brought into the league. The base of the cup was added on after the NHL claimed exclusive rights to awarding Lord Stanley's mug and should stay with the NHL. A broken trophy for a broken league.

Of course, the real bowl was replaced long ago...if the NHL paid for the replacement, wouldn't it be their property?

Roots73

TMLTP- ITS IN THE GAME!
May 10, 2004
Lard_Lad said:
Of course, the real bowl was replaced long ago...if the NHL paid for the replacement, wouldn't it be their property?

Hold on, I'll ask my lawyer. :)

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
Lard_Lad said:

Good point. The NHL can keep the replica, which they paid for, while returing the TRUE original stanley cup.

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Bicycle Repairman said:
No, because the NHL has not dissolved or terminated itself. They are merely on hiatus.

And because the trustees are essentially controlled by the league, the question is moot.

The writer even admits his folly.

Then they're not trustees...they're puppets!

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
EventHorizon said:
[
No season should mean that the NHL is no longer the world's leading professional hockey league, correct?

They still might have enough to ice 2 teams. Some pretty good old timers on the top two lines. After that though you got guys like Bettman floundering around on the third or fourth. :D

ti-vite

Jul 27, 2004
me2 said:
hehe. Lonny and Corry Hirsh can take it on a tour to Pronger's place and follow him around for the day.

Seconds later the camera pans away to Steve Maltais who exclaims:' I'm going to DisneyWorld!'

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
ti-vite said:
Seconds later the camera pans away to Steve Maltais who exclaims:' I'm going to DisneyWorld!'

Scene opens with short man in white suit yelling

"da plane da plane"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad