Stan Fischler said Potvin was better than Orr!

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
I don't know if Potvin is in the conversation with Eddie Shore for #2, but #3 is certainly up for debate. Though, I'd give the nod to Doug Harvey and Ray Bourque ahead of Potvin, but he's my #5.

As far as Fischler goes, I thought the only one dumb enough to think Denis Potvin was better than Orr was Denis Potvin. Wasn't it Potvin that said he should've been MVP of the 76 Canada Cup instead of Orr?

That's right,I forgot about that.He said Orr was a "sentimental" choice.That's not what the Russians thought!

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Fischler says things to draw a reaction. Next week he'll tell you the exact opposite of something he said the week before.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
That's right,I forgot about that.He said Orr was a "sentimental" choice.That's not what the Russians thought!
In that particular series, they rotated 5 D, I think Jimmy Watson was injured [?] and there wasn't much to differentiate between any of them. All 5 are in the hall, 3 are in the top 10 of all time and 2 were at worst,knocking on the door. It may have been partly sentimental, but there was no reason to say so. Orr had lost mobility and used his head and instincts more than anything else, but he was still Orr.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
Regarding the '76 Series and Potvin's comments:

They were clearly ill-advised, but I give Potvin the benefit of youth. He was then a brash 23 y/o.

Heck I remember reading that his first season with NYI, he alienated some of his veteran teammates by telling a reporter that he was different than them: "I like to go to museums." :D

Last edited:

Muttley*

I don't know if Potvin is in the conversation with Eddie Shore for #2, but #3 is certainly up for debate. Though, I'd give the nod to Doug Harvey and Ray Bourque ahead of Potvin, but he's my #5.

As far as Fischler goes, I thought the only one dumb enough to think Denis Potvin was better than Orr was Denis Potvin. Wasn't it Potvin that said he should've been MVP of the 76 Canada Cup instead of Orr?

I also think he said something to the extent that Cam Neely isn't among the Top 25 Bruin fowards of all time.

MacDaddy TLC*

Larry Robinson was better than Potvin. Larry Robinson is #2 on my list of D that I have seen play. I really don't know how to fit players I didn't see play onto the list.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
1. Orr
--------undisputed
2. Bourque
3. Eddie Shore
4. Denis Potvin
5. Paul Coffee
6. Niklas Lidstrom
7. Al MacInnis
8. Larry Murphy
9. Phil Housley
10. Larry Robinson

That is my list and I am sticking to it.:p:

raleh

Oct 17, 2005
Dartmouth, NS
1. Orr
--------undisputed
2. Bourque
3. Eddie Shore
4. Denis Potvin
5. Paul Coffee
6. Niklas Lidstrom
7. Al MacInnis
8. Larry Murphy
9. Phil Housley
10. Larry Robinson

Harvey, Kelly, Fetisov???

Please explain...

BNHL

Dec 22, 2006
Boston
When Housley was drafted he was asked about being the next Bobby Orr,he replied,"Give me 5 years". The columnist wrote,"Ask a stupid question,get a stupid answer".

Father Ted

Jan 26, 2007
South Lyon, MI
That's true. To be fair, he seems like a nice guy, and all. He'd probably be a fun guy to have a beer with and watch a hockey game.

Stan, if you're ever in Denver, beers are on me!
I am Stan, and I will gladly take you up on your offer. Don't be fooled by photos of me...I look much different in person.

Nifty=HHOF

Jul 8, 2004
Depressed Yankee Land
1. Orr
--------undisputed
2. Bourque
3. Eddie Shore
4. Denis Potvin
5. Paul Coffee
6. Niklas Lidstrom
7. Al MacInnis
8. Larry Murphy
9. Phil Housley
10. Larry Robinson

Ummm, isn't is Paul Coffey?

No love for Brad Park in these top 10 lists? I'd take him over Phil Housley any day of the week.

Weztex

Feb 6, 2006
No love for Brad Park in these top 10 lists? I'd take him over Phil Housley any day of the week.

I was thinking the same

My list would probably look something like that.

1. Bobby Orr
2. Eddie Shore
3. Doug Harvey
4. Raymond Bourque
5. Denis Potvin
6. Red Kelly
7. Niklas Lidstrom
8. Larry Robinson
9. Brad Park
10. Chelios / Pilote / Coffey

ALEX THE 8*

I thought Fischler was dead, he sure looks like it when he is on MSG.

EventHorizon

Bring Back Ties!
That's true. To be fair, he seems like a nice guy, and all. He'd probably be a fun guy to have a beer with and watch a hockey game.

Stan, if you're ever in Denver, beers are on me!

He actually is a very nice guy. My fiancee's father is in the media so he's gotten to know Stan and his wife well. When my future father-in-law told Stan that his daughter was engaged, Stan insisted on calling us. Imagine our surprise as we're walking into the building, the cell phone rings and it's Stan Fischler on the other end to congratulate us on the engagement. He also says he wants an invite to the wedding, so we're going to send one; I hope he actually shows, that would be awesome.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Larry Robinson was better than Potvin. Larry Robinson is #2 on my list of D that I have seen play. I really don't know how to fit players I didn't see play onto the list.

Not sure how you put Larry Robinson over Ray Bourque...that just seems ridiculous.

And I loved Larry Robinson.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
1. Orr
--------undisputed
2. Bourque
3. Eddie Shore
4. Denis Potvin
5. Paul Coffee
6. Niklas Lidstrom
7. Al MacInnis
8. Larry Murphy
9. Phil Housley
10. Larry Robinson

Coffey over Lidstrom ranold?

I'd take Lidstrom, Chelios, Larry Robinson, Pronger and maybe even Scott Stevens over Paul Coffey.

And I wouldn't have Phil Housley, Al MacInnis or Larry Murphy in my top 15, let alone top 10.

1. Orr
2. Bourque
3. Harvey
4. Shore
5. Potvin
6. Lidstrom
7. Larry Robinson
8. Brad Park
9. Chelios
10. Pronger

Frightened Inmate #2

Jun 26, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
My personal list from everything I have read/seen

1. Orr - Not even a question
2. Harvey
3. Bourque
4. Shore
5. Robinson
6. Potvin
7. Lidstrom
8. Chelios
9. Park
10. Horton

It is hard to judge though, do Coffey's (exaggerated) defensive shortcomings make him worse than Horton who didn't possess the offensive game that Coffey held. Really between 7-15 I could make arguments for a vast number of players and none of them would be wrong.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->