Stan Fischler loses all credibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wetcoaster

hockeytown9321 said:
In his latest article, Fishler actually uses Eklund as a source. And people say Larry Brooks is bad. :eek:

http://msgnetwork.com/content_news....ticle&sports=ice-hockey&team=other&league=nhl
You are assuming he had any credibility to lose in the first instance.

The frequently reliable Eklunds Hockey Report emphasized over the past few days that player pressure on Goodenow grew by the week.
As one writer noted of Eklund in his article:
At this point, you might be thinking that Eklund has hit the bull’s-eye about as often as Ray Charles in an Olympic archery competition. I’ll say this for Eklund: There does, in fact, seem to be someone named Bob Goodenow involved with the NHLPA.
http://www.sportsfanmagazine.com/content/view/1231/72/

For a review of some of Eklund's howlers see:
http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.com/dubi/2005/02/idle_rumors_are.html
:biglaugh:

As far as Fischlers' credility, remember the recycled Pierre Dagenais anti-NHLPA quote???
http://www.hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=125520&highlight=fischler

Last edited by a moderator:

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Brooks has his moments though, Fischler is an absolute moron.

I bet half the people reading this didn't know he even had a column.

DARKSIDE

Nov 17, 2003
He is good for a laugh every now and then, especially when he starts telling his stories about when he was only a 12 year old and would take the subway from the Bronx I think to the old Garden to go watch his Leafs play the Rangers. I have to admit just thinking about him cracks me up. :biglaugh:

Strong Island

Jun 6, 2004
Long Island, NY
DARKSIDE said:
He is good for a laugh every now and then, especially when he starts telling his stories about when he was only a 12 year old and would take the subway from the Bronx I think to the old Garden to go watch his Leafs play the Rangers. I have to admit just thinking about him cracks me up. :biglaugh:

I wonder what Stanta is set to hand out this coming Christmas.

Tawnos

A guy with a bass
Sep 10, 2004
Charlotte, NC
Since when has Fischler written things like that seriously? Half of the things he's written or said in his career are purposely to rile people up. Looks like he succeeded with this one.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Tawnos said:
Since when has Fischler written things like that seriously? Half of the things he's written or said in his career are purposely to rile people up. Looks like he succeeded with this one.
The other half is anecdotes about the Long Island Ducks.

SENSible1*

The apologists can't fathom the possibility that Bobby has lost control.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Speaking of...cough Ek...cough... i was listening to Team1200 yesterday and they had that phony EK on the line...he said that after fridays meeting the NHL and PA would be meeting again on Saturday...and he went on to make a point that "you heard it first from Ek" roflmao..I see he hit the bulleys again.

SPARTAKUS*

The last time a checked we lived in a free country. He has the right to write whatever he wants. And by the same token you have the right not to read his stuff. I find him to be very entertaining and to be honest a prefer what he writes to a lot of the stuff I find here on this board. I thimk you guys are just jealous. But there again that's just my opinion.....

nyr7andcounting

Feb 24, 2004
Thunderstruck said:

No one's denying that. It could easily be true.

But anyone who is getting paid to write articles, articles that are slanted towards one side all of the time anyway, and uses Eklund as a source should be fired.

Peter

Mar 1, 2002
Alberta
Visit site
OTTSENS said:
The last time a checked we lived in a free country. He has the right to write whatever he wants. And by the same token you have the right not to read his stuff. I find him to be very entertaining and to be honest a prefer what he writes to a lot of the stuff I find here on this board. I thimk you guys are just jealous. But there again that's just my opinion.....

I agree with you...but if I said so I would get 3 warning points against me by the moderator. I would also say that I totally don't understand their logic behind not allowing discussion on him or his blog...but I am not going to say that because I might get hit with 3 warning points against me and I wouldn't want that.

What I find funny is that this board outlaws blog talk yet they advertise for blogs.

Jaysfanatic*

Stan Fischler, what a Don Cherry rip off, I hate that old *******.

Wetcoaster

Thunderstruck said:
Other than Fischler and his journalistic fellow -travellers, no one seems to put any credence in that rumour.

The facts are to the contrary.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
OTTSENS said:

Yes it is true we have the freedom to write whatever we want, but there also comes RESPONSIBILITY in what you write as a journalist. Whatever happened to journalistic integrity in the world? It's been completely thrown out the window these days, thats what it feels like to me at least. Fischler has already had an article thrown out because of its lying and decieving nature and now hes quoting some cool blog hipster who we all know knows absolute crap. For me im quite sick of journalists being lazy SOB's who show NO responsibility in what they write any more. And a hockey example of this was when all the journalists said the lockout was over when it truly wasn't. It showed a total lack of checking numerous sources and a lack of responsibility of a journalist to try and provide the correct information and it pissed me off. Fischler uses his so called hockey writings to bash people he has personal vendettas against. I read his book Cracked Ice a couple years ago and it was so fricken awful it wasn't even worthy of me wiping my butt with.

Lanny MacDonald*

Credability? Fischler? That's a good one! "The Maven" has about as much credability as "Slap Shots". In other words, NONE. When someone refers to themselves in the third person during one of their columns they are a few cans short of a six pack.

NYIsles1*

OTTSENS said:
The last time a checked we lived in a free country. He has the right to write whatever he wants. And by the same token you have the right not to read his stuff.
Your absolutely right. That said as hockey fans we are always looking for credible, objective information that improves our knowlege. Unfortunately Mr Fischler rarely provides that and brings in a bias that hurts the product he is covering which takes away from his effort. He should know better and he can be better which is what's disappointing. The folks regardless of what side of a issue they are on are entitled to fair and balanced reporting and it's a disappointment when some clearly present an agenda as Mr Fischler (a James Dolan employee) provides not only on the lockout but several hockey topics.

Hockey can and must do better, this is one of our sports many problems.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Wait, I thought the mods didn't allow anything about Eklund to be posted. I guess bashing him is ok though, right???

Now I don't know how credible he is, but I can tell you one thing for sure, he sounds a whole lot smarter than Glen Healy.

Wetcoaster

TheCoach said:
Wait, I thought the mods didn't allow anything about Eklund to be posted. I guess bashing him is ok though, right???

Now I don't know how credible he is, but I can tell you one thing for sure, he sounds a whole lot smarter than Glen Healy.
That is certainly damning someone with faint praise. :biglaugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->