Stafford or Fehr??

88dave88

Jul 23, 2006
Montréal
Who do you whant in your team? Drew stafford from buffalo (great team work) and is't possibility to play whit Vanek. And Fehr from washington, is't a great sniper and a possibility to play whit A.O. Power foward for the 2 guys and RW. Who your man???

hexrae

Jun 29, 2006
Peg City
Good one. I like both players and had the chance to see both. Currently, I'd take Drew because I see him as a better all-around player. However, Fehr is already proving he can contribute at higher levels.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
First ill mention that these 2 players games are nothing alike.......Fehr = sniper who should put up 30-40 a year.........stafford = poor mans version of peca.

Fehr is the clear choice you dont pick average players who are good defensively over players who can flat out snipe and have potential to possibly score 50 in a season.

Transported Upstater

First ill mention that these 2 players games are nothing alike.......Fehr = sniper who should put up 30-40 a year.........stafford = poor mans version of peca.

Fehr is the clear choice you dont pick average players who are good defensively over players who can flat out snipe and have potential to possibly score 50 in a season.

You bring up an interesting point. These two players are as different as night and day.

Fehr has power forward's size, but a skill forward's talent and mindset; Stafford is a two-way guy, very well-rounded but not explosive or dominant in any one phase.

nuckfan insk

Nov 3, 2005
saskatoon Sask

no bias being as your from brandon ?
i'd say fehr but i think your underestimating stafford. fehr can snipe but can he do other things like play defensively, or kill penalties, or is he simply a offense player who should recieve most of his icetime on the pp.
game 7 stanley cup final with a one goal lead and 3 minutes left.... who do you want on the ice ? stafford would be the choice. so i wouldnt be slamming him too bad, average player ??? he is more than average

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
no bias being as your from brandon ?
i'd say fehr but i think your underestimating stafford. fehr can snipe but can he do other things like play defensively, or kill penalties, or is he simply a offense player who should recieve most of his icetime on the pp.
game 7 stanley cup final with a one goal lead and 3 minutes left.... who do you want on the ice ? stafford would be the choice. so i wouldnt be slamming him too bad, average player ??? he is more than average

last i checked you need someone to score that go ahead goal to get the 1 goal lead in game 7 of the finals.........stafford will be on the bench in a tie game or a game when you arent ahead and fehr will be out there on the ice trying to score that goal.

Ill take a sniper over a poor mans mike peca. as stated in my last post......teams dont choose "all around" over snipers very often.

X-SHARKIE

I saw a lot of both this year, Fehr in Hershey and Stafford with North Dakota..Neither really impressed me despite the hype. I would take Fehr though as when he chooses to let his shot go, it is very dangerous and has scoring potential every time.

I just wish I could take Stafford's physical play and put it with Fehr's skill game...as Fehr isn't a power forward by any means, and Stafford will never be an offensive producer in the NHL IMO.

Fehr.

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
Having watched Stafford at Nodak over the years. Gopher games in person, at Nodak on TV and final five in person. Of all the Nodak players over the years, Stafford or maybe Bochenski are the guys you did not want to see on a break. That includes Oshie, Toews who are still young but Parise too. Stafford was money. He should get his share of shoties at the next level. I think if Stafford had played for CC, the gophers, maybe BC. You would have seen his explosivness. I dont have enough to judge Fehrs. But it is sounding like Staffords game is down played.

This is not the greatest comparison. But Stafford reminds me of a guy like Rolston, minus the heavy shot. He plays well at both ends. But when cut loose will score. Plays both special teams.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Yes they do, I think you meant to say "fantasy teams don't choose 'all around' over snipers very often".

No I meant to say NHL teams dont take "safe players" "stafford types" over snipers just doesnt happen........unless your talking about later on in a draft when its a "safe player" over someone with "high upside with small chance of hitting it"

Buffalo87

thehosers dot com
Mar 22, 2006
Rochester
No I meant to say NHL teams dont take "safe players" "stafford types" over snipers just doesnt happen........unless your talking about later on in a draft when its a "safe player" over someone with "high upside with small chance of hitting it"

Umm...you have that completely backwards. Late in a draft is when you DO take chances on guys who have a high upside with a small chance of hitting it rather than the safer pick. Stafford isn't just a "safe player" just because he's a 2-way player. He is the safer pick here but just because he's the safer pick it doesn't mean he couldn't develop into a very good 2-way forward (which is every bit as valuable as a sniper).

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Umm...you have that completely backwards. Late in a draft is when you DO take chances on guys who have a high upside with a small chance of hitting it rather than the safer pick. Stafford isn't just a "safe player" just because he's a 2-way player. He is the safer pick here but just because he's the safer pick it doesn't mean he couldn't develop into a very good 2-way forward (which is every bit as valuable as a sniper).

safe players fall in drafts..........ask ryan white who many had pegged in the top 20 picks of the draft and went in the 3rd round........guys who have sniper ability rarely fall very far.

the only safe pick that i can remember being taken over a sniper recently is toews over kessel.......and that was only because there were outside questions about kessel, as well toews has offensive upside as well as being a safe player.

The Viking Fury

Nov 28, 2005
Fehr struggled with consistency in his first year as a pro, especially in the playoffs. He got benched a few times, but the Bears had tremendous forward depth so it wasn't really a problem. Apparently on the first day in the dressing room when he introduced himself he said "I only score big goals" and all the vets were like "who is this guy?"

Then he scores in overtime of Game 7, in the eastern conference finals against the stacked portland pirates team (who had just received dustin penner, corey perry, and ryan getzlaf for that game). Funny stuff. He should improve this year a lot.

I won't make a decision since I know nothing about Stafford, and haven't seen him play.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Fehr struggled with consistency in his first year as a pro, especially in the playoffs. He got benched a few times, but the Bears had tremendous forward depth so it wasn't really a problem. Apparently on the first day in the dressing room when he introduced himself he said "I only score big goals" and all the vets were like "who is this guy?"

Then he scores in overtime of Game 7, in the eastern conference finals against the stacked portland pirates team (who had just received dustin penner, corey perry, and ryan getzlaf for that game). Funny stuff. He should improve this year a lot.

I won't make a decision since I know nothing about Stafford, and haven't seen him play.

I dont believe the story about him introducing himself that way for 1 second.......ive met him many times and know his best friend very well and he is about the most humble guy ive come across in regards to big time players throughout junior hockey.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Interesting. I guess it is fair to say their is a bit of bias in your opinion ..

there clearly is a bit of bias in my opinion.........however if you were to insert another sniper in fehr's place such as say.......lauri tukkonen or really anyone who has good offensive upside I'll still take him over Stafford. Especially in todays nhl .... if this were 2 years ago things may be different.

The Viking Fury

Nov 28, 2005
I dont believe the story about him introducing himself that way for 1 second.......ive met him many times and know his best friend very well and he is about the most humble guy ive come across in regards to big time players throughout junior hockey.
Graham Mink said that in an interview after the finals, or during the finals or something. It may have been more of a joke, since most of the bears that season had been in the caps training camp and they had gotten to know each other a lot. I didn't mean to imply that he was being a prima donna if thats how my post came across. I love the guy, and I think another year in the AHL will be the best for him. Or at the very least, half a year

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->